• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

💬 Texturing Contest #33: Theme POLL

Texturing Contest #33 Theme?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right I think we've gotten a good range of themes suggested from the discussion thread, therefore I've collated them all in this poll as well as a brief description/summary below to give an idea of what each one entails.

• Insects - Pretty self-explanatory we all know what an insect is! Whether it's turning something into one, or using the variety of insect models in the game.
  • Treason - Take a unit from one race and turn it into the enemy! Orc Footmen? Human Blademaster maybe? Who knows!
  • Halloween/Horror - Tis coming to that time of the year October, or Spooktober if you will! Pumpkins, ghouls, witches etc or something suitably terrifying!
  • Ground Texture/Tileset - You know those things that the units walk on? Yeah? Let's make more! Stone paths, grassy knolls, icy rocks or anything inbetween.
  • Custom Model - The hive is full of awesome custom models! Why not take one and reskin it, give it a fresh lick of paint.
  • Amphibian - Frogs, Toads, maybe some kinds of lizard. If it can live happily in both land and water then it's an amphibian; turn a unit into one.
  • Freezing - Turn a unit into an aspect of the cold, ice and chill. Feel that breeze of the winter winds or the snow or the dead trees.
  • The Void - The powers of the void are strong and many hear it's call, take a unit into the land of shadow.
  • Dualism - Half-breeds galore! Not just the Mok'nathal, but take a unit and make it half and half of something, e.g. half dragon, half Orc.
  • Peaceful NPC - The majority of people aren't warriors, they're merchants, poets, scholars, villagers, farmers! Take a unit and make them a civilian of some kind.
  • Kul Tiras - The Island has played a large role in the lore of Warcaft, pick something related and make it as a texture.
  • Khajit - Has wares, if you have coin? The cat people of Elder Scrolls come in many kinds, re-create these feline folks!
Take your pick for soon our intrepid artists will need to bring this theme to life!

Right I think we've gotten a good range of themes suggested from the discussion thread, therefore I've collated them all in this poll as well as a brief description/summary below to give an idea of what each one entails.

• Insects - Pretty self-explanatory we all know what an insect is! Whether it's turning something into one, or using the variety of insect models in the game.
  • Treason - Take a unit from one race and turn it into the enemy! Orc Footmen? Human Blademaster maybe? Who knows!
  • Halloween/Horror - Tis coming to that time of the year October, or Spooktober if you will! Pumpkins, ghouls, witches etc or something suitably terrifying!
  • Ground Texture/Tileset - You know those things that the units walk on? Yeah? Let's make more! Stone paths, grassy knolls, icy rocks or anything inbetween.
  • Custom Model - The hive is full of awesome custom models! Why not take one and reskin it, give it a fresh lick of paint.
  • Amphibian - Frogs, Toads, maybe some kinds of lizard. If it can live happily in both land and water then it's an amphibian; turn a unit into one.
  • Freezing - Turn a unit into an aspect of the cold, ice and chill. Feel that breeze of the winter winds or the snow or the dead trees.
  • The Void - The powers of the void are strong and many hear it's call, take a unit into the land of shadow.
  • Dualism - Half-breeds galore! Not just the Mok'nathal, but take a unit and make it half and half of something, e.g. half dragon, half Orc.
  • Peaceful NPC - The majority of people aren't warriors, they're merchants, poets, scholars, villagers, farmers! Take a unit and make them a civilian of some kind.
  • Kul Tiras - The Island has played a large role in the lore of Warcaft, pick something related and make it as a texture.
  • Khajit - Has wares, if you have coin? The cat people of Elder Scrolls come in many kinds, re-create these feline folks!
Take your pick for soon our intrepid artists will need to bring this theme to life!
Well done! I like the way you put it :thumbs_up:

I voted for "Treason" first, it would be a very drastic change in style. Turning everything upside-down is definitely something very fresh and uncompromising, which will give the artists a clear mission, a lot of thought and will bring us very unexpected results.

Next, I voted for "Custom Model", as some really cool models can get a second life and shine again. (Damn, need to hurry up with the bundles to jump into the outgoing train and to increase the chances, as it always nice when your work can be chosen.)
Of course I checked the "Peaceful NPC" box because you put villagers there :peasant-popcorn: but, seriously, sometimes you want to see the transformation of minor characters, and not the well-known combat units, and expanding such a topic will clearly help custom maps.

In the end I voted for "Void", because I love dark things like the undead and demons, but here is something cosmic, mysterious and possibly evil.

P.S. if I had rummaged around in WoW and got into the factions from there, then I would also have voted for Kul Footmantiras, kek.

Level 32
Sorry to bump this again, but I am seeing boh the Treason and Custom Model leading the poll, Yes there is Peaceful NPC catching up as well but I think if Custom Model fully win, you end up with duplicated theme that recently done. Although there is an argument that if this also win, you can technically allow custom model as an option for that certain theme.

For me, I don't mind it. Especially for either Treason and Peaceful NPC, Treason maybe a bit of easier edge on classic model but Peaceful NPC is gotta have a bit of hard time pulling the theme with classic. So I am welcome to both option here, you can still use classic model to participate just like #30.

Since I am responsible for the treason theme recommendation, I will explain a bit more about it:
  • As philisophical this theme is, you are not gotta be in trouble finding them. For example: What If Uther was forsaken instead of moving on as kyrian. Tyrande betrayed the Night Elf and become a High Elf? An acolyte abandoning their evil to the light to become human again, there's that.
  • Their treasoning should not be accidentally, this is not Possession where the character is forced to become one.
  • It doesn't have to be a race swap, you can theorically make a redeemed villain (although they have to be in some form of faction so a solo villain cannot become a traitor originally). (Did you know Kil'Jaedan was not originally red?)
  • Although you can't double treasoning, meaning if you were a undead betraying the scourge become human and then betrayed again to become undead, that's wouldn't not be qualify. :xxd:

Last edited:
Level 16
Sorry to bump this again, but I am seeing boh the Treason and Custom Model leading the poll, Yes there is Peaceful NPC catching up as well but I think if Custom Model fully win, you end up with duplicated theme that recently done. Although there is an argument that if this also win, you can technically allow custom model as an option for that certain theme.

For me, I don't mind it. Especially for either Treason and Peaceful NPC, Treason maybe a bit of easier edge on classic model but Peaceful NPC is gotta have a bit of hard time pulling the theme with classic. So I am welcome to both option here, you can still use classic model to participate just like #30.

Since I am responsible for the treason theme recommendation, I will explain a bit more about it:
  • As philisophical this theme is, you are not gotta be in trouble finding them. For example: What If Uther was forsaken instead of moving on as kyrian. Tyrande betrayed the Night Elf and become a High Elf? An acolyte abandoning their evil to the light to become human again, there's that.
  • Their treasoning should not be accidentally, this is not Possession where the character is forced to become one.
  • It doesn't have to be a race swap, you can theorically make a redeemed villain (although they have to be in some form of faction so a solo villain cannot become a traitor originally). (Did you know Kil'Jaedan was not originally red?)
  • Although you can't double treasoning, meaning if you were a undead betraying the scourge become human and then betrayed again to become undead, that's wouldn't not be qualify. :xxd:

I'm not a fan of custom model either, also because it adds another element of advantage, like someone dredging through the back catalogues to find a partuclarly impressive model to makeover.
Limiting the selection to the standard models puts everyone on an equal footing.

The way I saw Treason was taking a unit and making it fit into the army of a different race, so Orcs and Humans collaborating in Alterac, or maybe a Sentinel that dressed in Orcy stuff and wielded a large lumber axe. "Timber!"
What are some Undead versions though? Maybe a corpse or skelly that's been overgrown with vines? The Satyr themes are a bit of a cross-over for those two factions.

I really like Peaceful, but it sounds so difficult I worry it would drive people away.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Well, I'm afraid I was too late to cast that vote :p. It wouldn't help to settle the tie: this time, ground textures would've been the sole receptor of my vote.

I do like uniqueness, so deciding towards the peaceful NPC is fine by me. But I don't do skins. So it's up to you guys who plan on participating.

Level 32
We have had a race-swap/treason contest and custom model contests before. Therefore to settle the tie, I think it's best if we go for peaceful NPC since it is a unique concept we haven't seen before.

Let me know you guys' thoughts.
Technically, treason doesn't have to be a race swap. It's not like you betray the alliance and suddenly you became the undead :xxd: . If I remember correctly, acolytes in the Undead Force are humans. A person can make acolyte actually U-turn there decision to no longer support the force they were take part of.

What If Gul'dan and Thrall switch place? You still an orc but if Gul'dan became a benevolent warchief then Thrall will betrayed/abandoning the Horde. He is definitely not looking friendly with that one.

Belive me, that's not just race-swapping. You have ability to maintain that race while still deliver the theme.

Technically, treason doesn't have to be a race swap. It's not like you betray the alliance and suddenly you became the undead :xxd: . If I remember correctly, acolytes in the Undead Force are humans. A person can make acolyte actually U-turn there decision to no longer support the force they were take part of.

What If Gul'dan and Thrall switch place? You still an orc but if Gul'dan became a benevolent warchief then Thrall will betrayed/abandoning the Horde. He is definitely not looking friendly with that one.

Belive me, that's not just race-swapping. You have ability to maintain that race while still deliver the theme.
If the theme is to go along those lines and accept that then I believe judging on thematic grounds would become too difficult. Yes whilst treason doesn't necessitate a race swap and the examples you give are possible then I think it becomes too broad as to be practically "re-texture" into anything you want. Since a benevolent Gul'dan or Evil Warchief Thrall are still a part of their faction, which is the Horde/Stormreaver Clan.

And the contest is now up!

🎨Texturing Contest #33 - Peaceful NPC

Get your texture making materials out everyone!

@Moy @Vinz @PrinceYaser @Draktar @Darkfang @Shido @TheZodiarch @ZethHolyblade @Footman16 @aeman @Mouseketeer @A.R. @Arowanna @Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.