• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

(2)Woodcutter's Epic Fail

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is a 1v1 melee map. It isn't that really big, but interesting to play. It is created in Loarderon Summer set.

The story behind the map is: The people living near the forest were hearing voices coming from there. So they called the woodcutters to cut down the whole forest. But even before they completed to do so, they were driven mad by the voices. The remaining forest now haunts the living before they even dare to enter. It is said that corrupted wisps live in every tree.

To see how it really looks out, you should play it!
Enjoy, Applaud/Criticism appreciated.

Update1:
Added dodads.
Added elevation.
Changed creeps(so they won't look the same on each side but its balanced)
Added fog
Added wildlife
Changed the name (from Treecutter to Woodcutter)

Keywords:
Woodcutter's Epic Fail, Woodcutter, Epic, Fail, 1v1, Melee, Ladder, Map, Bodommaster
Contents

(2)Woodcutter's Epic Fail (Map)

Reviews
15:28, 19th Jul 2009 ap0calypse: Rejected (until updated) There are not enough environmental doodads, so it looks very open, while in other places, it has been spammed (e.g. above/below the cliff). The idea looks like chop cop (if you know the...

M

15:28, 19th Jul 2009
ap0calypse: Rejected (until updated)

There are not enough environmental doodads, so it looks very open, while in other places, it has been spammed (e.g. above/below the cliff).

The idea looks like chop cop (if you know the map), where you have to cut trees to reach the opponent.
The difference is obviously that there's a goblin merchant, making it possible to fly over the trees.

That also has a bad side: the normal AI won't be as good, because of those things, making this a PvP-map only.

The overall terrain looks very forced, with only doodads on the side of the map, spammed doodads at some other places and a symmetrical terrain in a forest.
The cliff in the middle also looks way too suspicious to be natural.

Level 1
Description:
The only way I could suggest to improve a melee map's description is by the way Blizzard does. Remember the little story about the map associated with every melee map in the game? You can also use the same thing. To make that look decent you can read this out if you like.

Terrain:
The terrain has been worked upon but can use improvements. There are tile variations present in whole map but height variations are present only in the middle when the two sides are joined to the middle tree area. Try using some more tile variations.

The tree model used is a single one. Their heights are totally same. You could try scaling them or use some different models in the map. That makes the forest look natural.

Another problem with the trees is that in the middle, North & South the trees are lined perfectly. That is odd. The same problem is present with the middle area. The middle area looks as if someone has made it to make sure that the places are mirror images. Totally in the middle. You could try to make certain parts of the middle area encroach on one side from one place & on other side from another place thereby maintaining the balance in the game.

The trees are present on the sides but nowhere in the middle. The use of doodads is also restricted to the sides. Some random buildings like windmill or farmhouses can help to fill the place. But if you place them then don't place the same building on both sides (I think I already explained why).

Wildlife:
The whole map hasn't got any wildlife. You should place some in the map. The same logic I have used also applies here. Without them it looks unnatural.

Creep placement:
The creep placement is good. Their choice as well as the manner in which they have been placed is good. The only improvement that comes into my mind is the trolls placed to guard the middle area(3 on each side). Slight randomness is needed.
Also you could use different models on both sides while keeping their strength same. It would look nice.

Environment:
You could use fog effects.

My rating for this map is 2/5 & vote for approval.