• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

5th class is out! ~Demon Hunter~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocking news and an unexpected class shattered the fans' ambitions, maybe in some colorful pieces, since the Demon Hunter class seems to be rather powerful and interesting.

"She emerged from the shadows cast by the setting sun and wasted no time in dispatching the rest of my attackers. Her hands worked twin crossbows, launching a glowing arc of flaming bolts over my head, blanketing the hulking monsters."

ss102-hires.jpg

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/movies/demonhunter.xml
http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/characters/demonhunter.xml

Level 17
Mhm. As long as each class fulfills a particular playstyle and is satisfying to the gameplay and lore, I see no problem. However, I'm sure an expansion will unveil another class like D2: LoD did.

Anyway, this is probably the class I am most satisfied with. It is, respectively, unique compared to the other classes, and fits in very well with the lore of Sanctuary.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Um... there is the same number as in Diablo II (minus expansion obviously)...
There is even more than there was in the orignal Diablo...
How the hell can you complain about class number.

Having 100 classes where only 5 are playable is stupid. I rather see 5 well made classes which are each equally usable than 7 ones like in D2 + expansion where most of the characters are unviable to do anything with.

In diablo II, if you wanted to MF gear (fast) you eithor used a sorceress or a hammerdin. Barbarian, necro, druid... were all too slow to be viable gear finders.

In D3, I am hopping to see about equal usibility between classes. A barbarian may not deal as much DPS as a wizzard but it sure as hell can take the hits more allowing your wizzard to sit back and deal that DPS (instead of running around wildly to avoid extra hits). Further more teamwork emphisis is such that all builds can be useful.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I wonder what the male version looks like (once its done)...

Honestly, I think the class choice is pretty good. They cover everything one could ever possibly want to play.
For people who like swords and axes, the barbarian.
For people who prefer to punch or knock the night out of demonds, the monk.
For people who want to blow stuff up with damage, the wizzard.
For people who like a more evil hero (less holy spells), the witch doctor.
For people who want to shoot stuff, the demon hunter.

Each expansion should add atleast 2 more classess and I suspect them to make atleast 2 (to match their new release patern).

Level 49
What about people who want to shapeshift around and kill stuff or about people who want to heal stuff and yet bash undead at the same time or people who want to sneak on their enemies and stab them in their back? Or people who want to summon demons from the Nether? There are plenty of 'classical' choices they just haven't implemented in the game, which kinda sucks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Or people who want to summon demons from the Nether?
Witch Doctor... Remember runes can alter your summons from skeltons to buring demons.

Shapeshift was usless in D2 as it blocked enigma teleport. Medic pallidin was usless as well cause it could not kill bosses really fast. You can probably still heal allies with some ruins on your spells though while still killing stuff better.

Do not forget the druid and ammazon (?) were expansion characters, it is unfair to compare an expansion to a fresh release game. I am sure D3's expansion will add even more awesome characters.

Level 17
Witch Doctor... Remember runes can alter your summons from skeltons to buring demons.

Shapeshift was usless in D2 as it blocked enigma teleport. Medic pallidin was usless as well cause it could not kill bosses really fast. You can probably still heal allies with some ruins on your spells though while still killing stuff better.

Do not forget the druid and ammazon (?) were expansion characters, it is unfair to compare an expansion to a fresh release game. I am sure D3's expansion will add even more awesome characters.

Druid and assassin.

Debode, Diablo has always been true to its lore. And aside from that, these aren't classes. These are character classes, so there is bound to be a degree of depth on them, both concept-wise and story-wise. The traditional classes of MMORPGs (which Diablo is not) would be made manifest in the current classes. As said, Witch Doctors have runes to summon demons, while Monks are more like melee-paladins and a Wizard takes a Mage and Warlock and connects them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I never played either Diablo
Then how can you even comment on the subject in question...
The classes from the previous diablo (II) were crap, with poor design and ballence.

Getting a hammerdin and killing stuff was fun and all, but honestly you can only repeat that twice or so before the game gets repetitive. Everyone using bots killed the game for me, as there is no way I can afford enigma and other crutial items when bots (which are constantly banned and thus lose all items and replaced with the same insane gear) can aford to pay 100s of times more than me.

An example is playing a barbarian and then playing a sorcress. Everyone will instantly notice how easy the game becomes with the sorcress. Where as the barbarian becomes near impossible to play at late nightmare and hell difficulties due to shit DPS output (unless you somehow get crazy gear for it which need the sale of hell drop only items), the sorcress can skip most badies she can not kill and kill bosses with ease (and get their loot). Same problem with the ammazon, although better than the bard due to her insane free tanking unit, she can not kill stuf nearly as well as 6K+ frost damage or 12K fire damage. The necromance was ok, but the AI sucked meaning minions often were removed due to wandering too far and you could not raise a full army due to the servers kicking you (anti duping crap). Palidin was another sorcress class, with the smiter being able to solo every boss (even ubers) with no problem at all and in hammerdin form had much more killing power than any sorcress (let us not forget how easy it was to 75 all res on hell with a pallidin due to their rigged shields). Assassin was ok, as kicker it could give a smiter a run for its money and its traps beat any lightning sorcress, however low res, poor block and no inniate teleport mean both smiters and sorcresses can perform better for less. Druid was a piece of crap, any morphing at all ruined your ability to use teleport from enigma, all non buffing summons were usless in hell, elemental druids are usless compared to elemental sorcresses and morphed melee attack abilities pale compared to those offered by the pallidin.

So what was the ultimate team in that game?
Barb, druid, druid, pallidin, pallidin, pallidin, pallidin, pallidin.
One barb for +defense + skill +HP/mana buff (good allround buffing, can be replaced with extra hammerdin with CtA for much less effect)
2 druids for the +HP +damange/FAR buffs (only for those buffs due to the insane effect on team HP and the melee characters)
5 pallidins with all kinds of crazy different aurs (mostly hammerdins but atleast 1 smiter)
All A2 mercs of different auras (only duplicates being holy frost)

This team would be so powerful, nothing could stop it due to over 700% extra damage +50% FAR (flat bonous, not shitty weapon bonous) and over +200% HP (as well as lots of other buffing auras).
Ofcourse this team is entirly pointless as being able to kill enemies 32 or 64 times faster than required is pointless. Frankly 1 hammerdin with good gear can solo 8 player difficulty on hell effortlessly with the exception of a few bits (which 1 single backup character can overcome).

I like how in D3 they are going to emphisise cooperation. I would not mind 8 player difficulty being completly impossible to solo on hell mode.

Last edited:
Level 49
Look, I don't care about balance and game mechancis, if, and I mean if I'll ever get D3, I'll only ever play it in Single Player. That's what RPGs are for. Not this whole Battle.net matchmaking multiplayer crap. And as such I'd like to have some more decent classes from the point of view that they do cool shit like morph into bears and whatnot

Besides, I guess Hell is the hardest difficulty. Why talk about it then? Most non-hard-core players would play on Easy or Normal.

Level 13
Look, I don't care about balance and game mechancis, if, and I mean if I'll ever get D3, I'll only ever play it in Single Player. That's what RPGs are for. Not this whole Battle.net matchmaking multiplayer crap. And as such I'd like to have some more decent classes from the point of view that they do cool shit like morph into bears and whatnot

Besides, I guess Hell is the hardest difficulty. Why talk about it then? Most non-hard-core players would play on Easy or Normal.

Blizzard isn't making Diablo 3 for you, they're making it for a huge target audience.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
And thats what you are getting. I would rate Diablo III as the most cool in development game at this moment. You can not deny that everything from the animations of your main characters, to the disembowling of hells forces is cool in the game. Even something stupid like a orb that slows incomming projectiles does so in a awesome way and allows you to do more than just that.

Yes those furry people may be dis satsified by the lack of an anthromorphic character (which a druid would satisy), but this is Diablo III and not WoW. I do not expect animals to do a humans job and in the case of battling back the demon, mutated and undead hoards of hell I think that is a humans job (for the really butch).

You mean slick, beautiful and an ultimate killing machine? I agree!

Knowing blizzard, they will probably add what you are after in an expansion.

Yes, and the fact that either they used the same model or actress for her face, and the eye effects are almost identical... atleast to me :/

And like i said, its not what 'I'm after' its what newbies to the diablo scene are after.

Level 20
I think the demon hunter trailer was written by a 4-year old

I have to agree... I've not played any previous Diablos and that trailer far from convinced me to try this one, quite the opposite actually.
Though in part, I think it was the voice acting it sounded like something out of Two Worlds. *shudders*

@TWIF, I agree it's the spit of Kerrigan, minus a Zerg cell or two.

Last edited:
Level 16
Look at what I found in an older thread today:
I was dreaming about the 5th class today, lol
It was (like you all said) a ranged damage dealer, though it had heavy armor, crossbow, and looked much like a paladn (except it wasn't black and had long hair with a ponytail)

Then look again at the concept art.

Shit. We got a visionary.

Level 5
I didnt say it wasnt cool. just pointing out that theres a demographic who want things like that.

A rather large demographic, I might add. They'd be dumb to not do it. It comes back to vampires and werewolves.

Yeah and i dunno if anyone of them has like 3 trees of abilties and shit to pick from or however that's going to work but i'm sure they'll make it so that you won't see the same classes casting the same abilities all the time.

With hundreds of thousands of people playing the same game all being catered to five different characters, I have to doubt it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
With hundreds of thousands of people playing the same game all being catered to five different characters, I have to doubt it.
Well its an improvement over D2 non the less. That game had hundreds of thousands of players playing 2 characters (ignoring the rest). The game was so poorly ballenced the only viable way to early item find was sorcressess and anyone who found good loot eventually upgraded to a hammerdin.

50% of new characters were sorcresses with 40% being palidins.

Now I expect to see pret even distribution between all 5 classes in D3. I do however expect that the witch doctor and barbarian to be the least played classes as they lack the uber coolness the other characters oose.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It seems you lot have problems understanding peoples opinions...

Once again... Personally I do not like the Witch Doctor. His character art is ugly compared to that of the sorcress, monk and demon hunter. I also do not like how the barbarian looks as his body is very ned like. It is almost garunteed that I will play the demon hunter, monk and sorcress before I would play the other 2.

Level 13
Thats YOU dsg.

You said 'people' implying that all people agree with you, and i am sure they dont, as i will probably play the witch doctor before the demon hunter. Actually i am thinking of either him or a wizard as my first.
Didn't you get the memo? DSG's opinions=facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.