• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

A question about hard disk....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I have a question... If I transfer my PC's hard disk into another computer, will it affect the operating system installed in it?... Or will the operating system be corrupted?... Thanks for the answer... ^_^

Level 3
As far as i know, uppon starting up, he will ask you to chose your operating sistem.
Lets say on the computer you want to install the hard disk you have Win Vista
And lets say you have Win XP on the hard disk.
Before loading windows he will ask you to pick one of those 2...
Just to note im NOT 100% sure, but it surely won't corrupt or damage windows.

Level 9
No, I mean that the scenario would like be that I will assemble a computer provided that the operating system is already installed in the hard disk... Will the operating system installed in it get corrupted?... I am using Windows XP

Level 15
I have a question... If I transfer my PC's hard disk into another computer, will it affect the operating system installed in it?... Or will the operating system be corrupted?... Thanks for the answer... ^_^

It will work, but won't be happy.

Windows does a few specific things on install, and it likes system specs to stay the same. Especially the processor brand, as AMD and Intel have different implementations of SSE3/4 and Virtualization. Once again, it will work, but won't be happy.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
BlargHonk, that is assuming that the opperating system is not designed to handle that. I would imagine there being some repair feature (maybe automatically run) that will change the binaries for the various precessor makes. It would make sense that an opperating system be designed to handle that for convenience sake. Perhapse only for newer opperating systems though. The binaries might also exist for both (as code is quite compatct) just it switches between them at run time.

Obviously the drivers are a different story. A nvidia display driver will not work an AMD graphic card for example. If booting from it, do not expect much to work unless you are willing to install new drivers. You can use it as a slave disk no problem unless you do something stupid and delete OS files.

Status
Not open for further replies.