• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Classic Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main town square;

full

After a long time of almost no updates, here's a massive update with the exterior city terrain nearly complete. Some tweaks remains, but nothing major.

Creds to @Stefan.K for making the ship models, market stalls and other models in here.

Video:

full

full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full

Last edited:
Aweomse! I've been wanting to do a real city terrain that actually is a city (similar to Novigrad in TW3) for a real long time now. You beat me to it, love it!!
Thanks! I have actually gotten some inspiration from that city, although I'm not able to make it nearly as detailed as the designers of the TW3 version did :D

All these detailed interiors and city maps... I can't even fathom how long it must've taken you to make 'em in World Editor!!
Hmm it has taken around 1 year (a little less). I haven't been constantly making these maps though, I have taken some small breaks every now and then. But yeah, when I work on them I do so for several hours every day.

Ah yes, the one and only UI from the unity market (I believe) :D But looking really good, although a bit too dark to really see anything. I also see you added footsteps sounds, I'm really glad!

Just recently started to work on similar conversation UI. Looking nice. Only the text flow is a little bit too slow.
Yes we bought the template off Unity store :D

You know, at this point I'm starting to hate YouTube. They keep making my videos way too dark (see previous terrain screenshots for more accurate brightness).

Yeah I finally did find out how to add footstep sounds... :p

Would be nice to see some pictures of your UI. Are you using a template or making it yourself?

Level 52
Not at all!

Is that Planetary's or did you make it? Looks nice.

I love the look of it all.

Thanks! Didnt see that Planetary actually did something like this already. But no, its from me. But there is no text functionality yet anyway, so its just the frame, the name of the NPC + the talking and selecting :) But I'll be doing the testing of actual choices in the textbox as well this weekend.

Thanks! Didnt see that Planetary actually did something like this already. But no, its from me. But there is no text functionality yet anyway, so its just the frame, the name of the NPC + the talking and selecting :) But I'll be doing the testing of actual choices in the textbox as well this weekend.
Sounds great! I'll be keeping my eyes open.

Update: Decided to encode the video with H.265, seems to have worked. No idea why YouTube messes with the brightness in un-encoded videos when I upload them. Sadly the quality and refresh rate took a drop from it, but now it looks as it should look.

Sorry for the double post :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 49
Update: Decided to encode the video with H.265, seems to have worked. No idea why YouTube messes with the brightness in un-encoded videos when I upload them. Sadly the quality and refresh rate took a drop from it, but now it looks as it should look.

Sorry for the double post :p

This is one of the craziest and most incredible things I've ever seen done in WC3. Is there a thread for this project?

This is one of the craziest and most incredible things I've ever seen done in WC3.
Glad you like it!
Is there a thread for this project?
Not as of right now, but since the terrain is nearing completion, and the most important core systems are starting to take shape I expect to post an actual project thread in 1-3 months.

May I ask how long did it take you to design this?
Do you mean all the maps or just the latest map / the cult map? I've been working on the whole thing since around February this year. The cult map has taken maybe 1 1/2 month.
What was your inspiration?
Mainly concept art pictures that I search up on Google.

Level 21
Really!
That's surprising since every plane is still very distinct - so much that you can't help but notice.

That's surprising since every plane is still very distinct - so much that you can't help but notice.
I think it may have to do with the actual size of the doodad. The larger I make the water doodads the less distinctive they become, but then they also start clipping when they're near the borders of the monitor. For some reason calculating the model extents doesn't solve it.

I didn't mention it in my previous comment, but my god - that environment is absolutely gorgeous. And I love the camera zoom-in / zoom-out when moving up and down a level. This is turning out to be a very exciting project. :thumbs_up:
Thanks a lot!

We are slowly but steadily getting closer to having actual gameplay. The coders are silently working in the background to finish the combat system and UI. Talent tree is done, and inventory/items system is in the works. The terrain is also nearing completion (finally lol). It won't be long before an actual project thread is coming, with showcase of the currently made systems, more terrain, and more in-depth information about the project itself than just some terrain screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.