• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Editor stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
(1)
-In the Object editor, abilities section, what's the difference between:
Art - Effect / Art - Special / Art - Target / Art - Area Effect
-And which of these should I use with which type of spells?
-And why is it that not always when I assign a certain effect or model to any of these properties that it works?
For example, I created a replica of the Mountain Giant's Hardened skin. 20% chance to reduce 20 damage or so, and I assigned the Immolation model to the Art - Target and it worked; However, when I created another replica of the same ability with different stats and assigned it to a different unit, I used the model or effect defend and assigned it to Art - Target and it didn't work.

(2)
How can I give a permanent item the ability to be used over and over again with a certain cooldown?
I asked this question before in a different way. I couldn't make an item usable in the first place but SAUS told me to set Actively-Used to True and Perishable to False, and it worked, but it only worked once. In other words, the cooldown didn't work. I used it once in the whole map and wasn't able to use it again. It's an item that should give 12 seconds of divine shield when you click on it with a cooldown of 120 seconds.

(3)
Why is it that when I use "Sound - Play 'Sound'" during cinematics it doesn't work, but when I use "Sound - Play '3D Sound' in a 'Region'" it works?

(4)
Can I make a unit that belongs to a neutral player actively cast spells like an AI does? Or like neutral Hostiles? Let's say that there's a unit that has the ability 'cripple' and another one that has the ability 'war stomp', and they both don't use their spells even at full mana.

(5)
I made a replica of the Goblin Tinker's 'Cluster Rockets' spell, but when I used a different buff other than 'Cluster Rockets' (even a new custom buff that is BASED ON 'cluster rockets' but with different effects) the spell dealt no damage at all. Just stun with no damage. Any explanations?

(6)
What are Hashtables?

(7)
What's the ideal Model Scaling Value/Collision size ratio when making a custom unit? I made a custom unit like a titan or something, it's 5 times larger than any normal unit with a Scaling Value of 3, so I set its collison size to 250, but it's still too low because the unit can still go through narrow spaces and it looks kinda funny/sad.

(8)
Does the Editor automatically replay custom music when it ends, or does it revert to normal WC3 music?

That's it for now I think.....

Level 29
(1)
-In the Object editor, abilities section, what's the difference between:
Art - Effect / Art - Special / Art - Target / Art - Area Effect
-And which of these should I use with which type of spells?
-And why is it that not always when I assign a certain effect or model to any of these properties that it works?
For example, I created a replica of the Mountain Giant's Hardened skin. 20% chance to reduce 20 damage or so, and I assigned the Immolation model to the Art - Target and it worked; However, when I created another replica of the same ability with different stats and assigned it to a different unit, I used the model or effect defend and assigned it to Art - Target and it didn't work.
Every Art has his own purpose, it depend on who or what he does, eg : Art-Special is used to play the explode animation effect, the Art-Target mean the effect caused upon a target (not damage), same thing for the others...
(2)
How can I give a permanent item the ability to be used over and over again with a certain cooldown?
I asked this question before in a different way. I couldn't make an item usable in the first place but SAUS told me to set Actively-Used to True and Perishable to False, and it worked, but it only worked once. In other words, the cooldown didn't work. I used it once in the whole map and wasn't able to use it again. It's an item that should give 12 seconds of divine shield when you click on it with a cooldown of 120 seconds.
You can do so only with triggers.

(3)
Why is it that when I use "Sound - Play 'Sound'" during cinematics it doesn't work, but when I use "Sound - Play '3D Sound' in a 'Region'" it works?
If you check the sound editor you will realize that not all sounds are 3D, the best solution is to turn that sound into 3D

(4)
Can I make a unit that belongs to a neutral player actively cast spells like an AI does? Or like neutral Hostiles? Let's say that there's a unit that has the ability 'cripple' and another one that has the ability 'war stomp', and they both don't use their spells even at full mana.
You can disable ability stats of that player
(5)
I made a replica of the Goblin Tinker's 'Cluster Rockets' spell, but when I used a different buff other than 'Cluster Rockets' (even a new custom buff that is BASED ON 'cluster rockets' but with different effects) the spell dealt no damage at all. Just stun with no damage. Any explanations?
You probably missed with something in the OE stats
(6)
What are Hashtables?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...orials-279/hashtables-mui-133407/#post1187483
(7)
What's the ideal Model Scaling Value/Collision size ratio when making a custom unit? I made a custom unit like a titan or something, it's 5 times larger than any normal unit with a Scaling Value of 3, so I set its collison size to 250, but it's still too low because the unit can still go through narrow spaces and it looks kinda funny/sad.
Collision is used to make a unit smaller or large rang,
(8)
Does the Editor automatically replay custom music when it ends, or does it revert to normal WC3 music?
If you do it with trigger, otherwise after the sound ends the game replay the orginal sounds.

Level 14
1) the defend effect will only play once rather than loop so it won't show up like immolation would
2) make sure the cooldown of the active ability is set to 120 seconds then make sure you set Stats - Cooldown Group to that specific ability
3) 3D sounds need to be placed in order to play. If you want to play a sound using triggers you have to make sure that sound has #D sound unticked in the sound editor
4)Base Abilities for custom spells used by AI casters
5) not sure
6) Hashtables
7) I believe collision size follows multiples of 8. 8, 16, 24, 32, etc try making the number divisible by 8. There is also a Collision - Maximum Radius in the Gameplay Constants that you may need to increase.
8) I don't know but I bet it would be easy to test

Level 3
I read somewhere on wc3c.net that the Cluster Rockets thing is a bug, IIRC if you use any buff other that the default one, even if it's one based on the original Cluster Rockets buff, the damage doesn't work. Also, if you use the Stunned buff, the stun won't work. :grin: In other words, you're better off just using the default one, or a different base ability.

Last edited:
Level 8
I read somewhere on wc3c.net that the Cluster Rockets thing is a bug, IIRC if you use any buff other that the default one, even if it's one based on the original Cluster Rockets buff, the damage doesn't work. Also, if you use the Stunned buff, the stun won't work. :grin: In other words, you're better off just using the default one, or a different base ability.

Yeah what you said is true. Btw is this what you're looking for? :D

As for the second question, what Veritas 117 should solve that problem. I don't know about the rest though.

Level 3
Yeah what you said is true. Btw is this what you're looking for? :D

As for the second question, what Veritas 117 should solve that problem. I don't know about the rest though.

That's it :thumbs_up: Really cool guide BTW, lot of stuff to be learned there.

Also, to OP, for #7 you can just experiment by changing the scaling/collision size and just placing that unit close to other units and objects and seeing how close you can get. I don't think there is a golden rule, as some models are bigger than others even with the same scaling value.

Status
Not open for further replies.