• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Unit won't render when model is special effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'm working on a custom spell. When the hero casts it, I generate about 10 units near the target point and each of those units casts a cluster rocket ability at the target point. Everything works fine with one exception:

the dummy unit that casts the cluster rocket ability won't render. I put as the unit-type's model the Impale special effect so it looks like dust being kicked up from the ground. This never shows up though.

I investigated. When I change the dummy unit from the Impale model to a unit model (like an Abomination), it renders fine. The Abom shows up, casts his ability, and then dies a few seconds later (the dummy unit has negative health regeneration). But when I change the model to a special effect of some kind, it just never appears and the rockets shoot out nothing.

I'm completely out of ideas. Does anyone know why a special effect wouldn't render? (Incidentally, if I manually place the unit in the editor, I can see it rendering while the editor is open).

Level 14
Personally, i always was able to use a SFX as model, even the ones with just one animation

How about you create a modelless unit and create the SFX in triggs?

I've definitely used special effects as models before as well. I find this so baffling.

I think I can make the special effect manually, but I can't destroy it right away to prevent leaks. If I destroy the special effect it won't keep creating dust particles; so I'll have to wait and destroy it. That means making an array of special effects I suppose. I could do it if I have to I guess.

Level 11
Simple trigger to destroy effects after a set amount of time:
  • SE Cleanup
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: local effect LocalEffect = bj_lastCreatedEffect
      • Wait 2.00 game-time seconds
      • Custom script: call DestroyEffect(LocalEffect)
Call with Trigger - Run Trigger (ignoring conditions). The wait action will not delay the main trigger.

With some jass you can make it a function instead, which would make it easier to wait different amounts of time (instead of having to make a separate trigger for different wait times).

Level 11
Probably not a big deal unless you're spamming special effects (possible, being special effects after all).

There's the other wait. Inaccurate, especially if there's lag, but a minor graphical glitch isn't a big deal either.

Timers and hashtables available for fancy magic that's accurate and no leaks.

Level 12
I had this issue before. Many of the special effects models only have a birth and/or death animation and so they won't show up normally (unless you specify it in triggers: ie. play last created unit's birth animation).

As an alternative I suppose you can edit the model itself to rename or give it a stand animation, sfx models are generally low on file size.

Status
Not open for further replies.