• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Lookup Table

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Reactions: Tasyen
A small library I wrote to make it more convenient to store data returned from functions that are called repeatedly to avoid making the same calculations over and over again. Lookup Table is designed such that it doesn't affect in any way how you need to write your code. It just works in the background and makes the functions you add to it faster.

Lookup Table can also be used to overwrite natives and make them faster. For this purpose, I made a tiny variant of this library, here under Fast Natives. You simply copy these few lines into your map anywhere and now the natives listed there, for example FourCC, will be slightly faster (~10x). You can add additional functions to the list if you so choose.

Like with anything optimization related, this is only really relevant if you have extreme performance bottlenecks in your map.

Lua:
if Debug then Debug.beginFile "LookupTable" end
do
    --[[
    =============================================================================================================================================================
                                                                    Lookup Table
                                                                     by Antares
    =============================================================================================================================================================

Lookup Table adds a convenient way to store data returned from functions that need to do complex calculations, but it can also be used in a simple way to make
    natives that always return the same result for the same input arguments faster.

Adding a lookup table to a function overwrites the function call with a table lookup. The function is only executed on the first call with a given combination
    of input arguments. This increases the speed of every subsequent function call. A native with a lookup table will be approximately 10x faster when called.

With a lookup table added to a function, you can call that function just like you would normally, but you can also treat it as a table, making it even faster.

To add a lookup table to a global function, do AddLookupTable("functionName"). This will overwrite the global. The overwritten function is stored as <Name>Func.
    To add a lookup table to any function, do AddLookupTable(whichFunction). This will not overwrite the function and return the table instead.

You can add a lookup table to functions with up to three arguments, but you need to specify how many arguments the function takes if it's not one:
    AddLookupTable("functionName", numArgs)

Example:
    AddLookupTable("FourCC")
    AddLookupTable("BlzGetAbilityTooltip", 2)
    print( BlzGetAbilityTooltip[FourCC.AHbz][0] ) -> "Blizzard - [|cffffcc00Level 1|r]"

Another Example:
    function ComplicatedMath(a, b, c)
        --100 more lines of code
        return 12*a + 16*b + 5*c
    end

local complicatedMathTable = AddLookupTable(ComplicatedMath, 3)
    print( complicatedMathTable(4, 3, 7) ) -> 131

Limitations:

-You should be able to directly call AddLookupTable from the Lua root for your own functions as long as those functions and the Lookup Table library are above
     the call, but it won't work for natives.
    -You can overwrite a function that takes an object as an argument, for example GetUnitTypeId (if you don't have morphing units). This will leak ~100-200
     bytes per object (which is usually negligible), but you can clean-up manually if necessary.
    -Overwriting a global will make it incompatible with Hook.

]]

local callMethods = {}

local function CreateIndexMethod(lookupTable, whichFunction, N)
        local iterateKeys
        iterateKeys = function(whichTable, i, ...)
            local args = table.pack(...)
            if i > 1 then
                setmetatable(whichTable, {__index = function(newTable, newKey)
                    newTable[newKey] = {}
                    iterateKeys(newTable[newKey], i-1, newKey, table.unpack(args))
                    return newTable[newKey]
                end})
            else
                    args[#args + 1] = newKey
                    newTable[newKey] = whichFunction(table.unpack(args))
                    return newTable[newKey]
                end})
            end
        end

iterateKeys(lookupTable, N)
        return lookupTable
    end

local function CreateCallMethod(N)
        local code = "return function(self, "
        for i = 1, N - 1 do
            code = code .. "arg" .. i .. ", "
        end
        code = code .. "arg" .. N .. ")\nreturn self"
        for i = 1, N do
            code = code .. "[arg" .. i .. "]"
        end
        code = code .. "\nend"
        callMethods[N] = load(code)()
        return callMethods[N]
    end

---@param whichFunction string | function
    ---@param numArgs? integer
    function AddLookupTable(whichFunction, numArgs)
        local isGlobalFunc = type(whichFunction) == "string"
        numArgs = numArgs or 1

local func
        if isGlobalFunc then
            _G[whichFunction .. "Func"] = _G[whichFunction]
            func = _G[whichFunction]
        else
            func = whichFunction
        end

local lookupTable = {}
        CreateIndexMethod(lookupTable, func, numArgs)
        getmetatable(lookupTable).__call = (callMethods[numArgs] or CreateCallMethod(numArgs))

if isGlobalFunc then
            _G[whichFunction] = lookupTable
        else
            return lookupTable
        end
    end
end

Lua:
do
    ---@param functionName string
    function AddLookupTable(functionName)
		local func = _G[functionName]
        _G[functionName .. "Func"] = func
        local table = {}
        table.__index = function(self, key) self[key] = func(key) return self[key] end
        table.__call = function(self, arg) return self[arg] end
		setmetatable(table, table)
        _G[functionName] = table
    end

OnInit.global(function()
		AddLookupTable("Player")
		AddLookupTable("GetPlayerId")
		AddLookupTable("ConvertedPlayer")
		AddLookupTable("GetConvertedPlayerId")
		AddLookupTable("FourCC")
		AddLookupTable("OrderId2String")
		AddLookupTable("OrderId")
	end)
end
Contents

Lookup Table (Binary)

If I understand you correctly, you want to use that for the __call function? Wouldn't that create a new table on each call? Since you want to use this on functions you call many times per second, that would probably overwhelm the GC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What I could do maybe is generate the __index and __call functions for X parameters with load().

I also want to expand this by making it possible to add functions to it that use floats as parameters using linear interpolation.

nice library

This has some uses, though I am pretty sure @Tasyen has done similar stuff, like caching the results of FourCC, that sort of thing.
I have but only for a specific table with one arg.

For FourCC I published a rejected snippet to autouse FourCC as key and maybe as value in a table.
Allowed
SpellAction['A03F'] = SpellAction['A0G2']
SpellAction['A0G2'] = function

If I understand you correctly, you want to use that for the __call function? Wouldn't that create a new table on each call? Since you want to use this on functions you call many times per second, that would probably overwhelm the GC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What I could do maybe is generate the __index and __call functions for X parameters with load().

I also want to expand this by making it possible to add functions to it that use floats as parameters using linear interpolation.
I think saving a few nanoseconds of performance is not worth it, unless we're talking about avoiding new handle creations (like replacing rects with coordinates and recycling things with MoveRect or MoveLocation, or one cached dummy unit or one cachd GetWorldBounds return). Players are already cached in frameworks like @TriggerHappy 's wc3ts and there have been countless JASS resources that do the same.

So if your concern is performance, avoiding tables, then the goal should be to hit the key areas that benefit from having a cached response, such as using overriding hooks. The Hook library does this fairly well, and last I checked doesn't even need to use things like table.pack or unpack anymore to get the job done.

I think saving a few nanoseconds of performance is not worth it, unless we're talking about avoiding new handle creations (like replacing rects with coordinates and recycling things with MoveRect or MoveLocation, or one cached dummy unit or one cachd GetWorldBounds return). Players are already cached in frameworks like @TriggerHappy 's wc3ts and there have been countless JASS resources that do the same.

I can probably get rid of the argument cap with the load function. Other than removing the cap, is there an upside to what you're proposing? Just to be clear, is this what you're proposing? (cobbled together in a few seconds, don't bully)

Lua:
    table.__call = function(self, ...)
        local subTable = self
        for i = 1, #args - 1 do
            subTable = subTable[args[i]]
        end
        return subTable[args[#args]]
    end

I'm aware this probably isn't the most useful resource, but might have some uses when performance is important.

So if your concern is performance, avoiding tables, then the goal should be to hit the key areas that benefit from having a cached response, such as using overriding hooks. The Hook library does this fairly well, and last I checked doesn't even need to use things like table.pack or unpack anymore to get the job done.

Isn't the Hook library your library? Or are you talking about a different one?

Yes, the Hook library is mine, but it got a lot of feedback from the community that made it a lot more powerful, and it's also now much faster than it used to be. I dare to say that it's as efficient as possible, but even I know better than to make such an argument. I'm sure a Nestharus kind of person could poke lots of holes in it.

I was just asking because you said "last I checked." That's an odd phrasing when you're talking about your own library.

Anyway, I just managed to get rid of the argument restriction (still have to clean it up). Did end up using pack and unpack.

Lua:
local function Test(a, b, c, d)
    return a*b*c*d
end

local function CreateIndexMethod(lookupTable, whichFunction, N)
    local iterate
    iterate = function(whichTable, i, ...)
        if i > 1 then
                newTable[newKey] = {}
                iterate(newTable[newKey], i-1, newKey, table.unpack(args))
                return newTable[newKey]
            end})
        else
                args[#args + 1] = newKey
                newTable[newKey] = whichFunction(table.unpack(args))
                return newTable[newKey]
            end})
        end
    end

iterate(lookupTable, N)
    return lookupTable
end

function CreateNArgCallFunction(N)
    local code = "return function(self, "
    for i = 1, N - 1 do
        code = code .. "arg" .. i .. ", "
    end
    code = code .. "arg" .. N .. ")\nreturn self"
    for i = 1, N do
        code = code .. "[arg" .. i .. "]"
    end
    code = code .. "\nend"
    return load(code)()
end

---@param whichFunction string | function
---@param numArgs? integer
function AddLookupTable(whichFunction, numArgs)
    local isGlobalFunc = type(whichFunction) == "string"
    numArgs = numArgs or 1

local func
    if isGlobalFunc then
        _G[whichFunction .. "Func"] = _G[whichFunction]
        func = _G[whichFunction]
    else
        func = whichFunction
    end

local lookupTable = {}
    CreateIndexMethod(lookupTable, whichFunction, numArgs)
    getmetatable(lookupTable).__call = CreateNArgCallFunction(numArgs)

if isGlobalFunc then
        _G[whichFunction] = lookupTable
    else
        return lookupTable
    end
end

local lookupTable = AddLookupTable(Test, 4)
print(lookupTable[2][3][4][5])
print(lookupTable(2, 3, 4, 5))

Yes when I say "last I checked", it's because I haven't worked on it seriously in probably a year or more, and I have been doing a lot of coding outside of Lua since then. I think Hook is the right solution to this resource, but it has a steep learning curve.

I still don't understand what exactly you're suggesting is the shortcoming of my resource that would be solved by using Hook. The use cases aren't nearly as many as with Hook, but for what it does, it is much easier to use and it's, I think, as fast as it can possibly be. I'm sure that it can be expanded to more areas, but I don't think expanding it into areas that are already covered by your resource is the way to go.

You can use the current version for temporary lookup tables, such as this:

Lua:
    local function CalculateAngleBetweenAllUnits()
        local x = AddLookupTable(GetUnitX)
        local y = AddLookupTable(GetUnitY)

for i = 1, #unitList do
            for j = i+1, #unitList do
                angleBetweenUnits[i][j] = math.atan(y[unitList[i]] - y[unitList[j]], x[unitList[i]] - x[unitList[j]])
                angleBetweenUnits[j][i] = -angleBetweenUnits[i][j]
            end
        end
    end

This could be improved and expanded upon. I could also see a feature where you can set a lifetime for a value, so that you can use it on variable values, but if a thousand functions all request the value at the same time, only the first call has to calculate it.

Last edited:
I did a small performance test. this boosts FourCC in Reforged quite much when requesting the same string. in v1.31.1 not so much, but still it became faster.

Lua:
oldTime = os.clock()
for index = 1, 1000000 do
    FourCC'AHbz'
end
print(os.clock()-oldTime)

print"replace"
AddLookupTable("FourCC")

-- V1.31.1
--> 0.111
-- replace
--> 0.042

-- Reforged
--> 0.545
-- replace
--> 0.04

Interesting, FourCC (or natives in general) are faster pre-Reforged? I didn't know that. What did they mess up there again?
In V1.31 FourCC breaks with Save&Load therefore they swaped the way it operates.
It was something with string.unpack in V1.31. In Reforged it does some string.byte math.

Hi, sorry to take so long to get back to you.

For this:

Lua:
        _G[functionName .. "Func"] = _G[functionName]
        local table = {}
        table.__index = function(self, key) self[key] = _G[functionName](key) return self[key] end
        _G[functionName] = table
    end
Hook makes more sense in terms of allowing the user to be able to call the original native.

The simpler approach is just to avoid a table altogether (let's forget the exposing of the original native just for the sake of simplicity):

Lua:
        local oldFunc = _G[functionName]
        local t = {}
        _G[functionName] = function(key)
            local result = t[key]
            if result == nil then
                result = oldFunc(key)
                t[key] = result
            end
            return result
        end
    end

This will assuredly be faster, more maintainable and more memory efficient.

I'll come back to the other parts of the system a bit later.

Hook makes more sense in terms of allowing the user to be able to call the original native.

You don't have to overwrite the native if you don't want to. Thinking about it, the feature of replacing the native if you call AddLookupTable with a string argument makes little sense, because if the user really wants to replace the native, they can just do:

Lua:
FourCC = AddLookupTable(FourCC)

This will assuredly be faster, more maintainable and more memory efficient.
Your version comes in at 28ns, so it's slightly faster than my version as a function call, but slower than a direct table lookup (no surprise here). More memory efficient... both versions store one table entry per different value unless I'm missing something.

You know, I could just change it so you have the option to return a table or replace the original function with your version (and remove the __call method from the table). Then you have the best of both worlds.

So I tried testing the existing AddLookupTable function, and it didn't work because it's not assigned to a metatable, so kept getting 'attempt to call table value' errors. I ended up with the following successful test scenario:

Lua:
function bob(x)
    print 'only once'
    return 'always'
end

local old = _G[functionName]
        local table = {}
        _G[functionName] = setmetatable(table, table)
        table.__index = function(self, key)
            local result = old(key)
            self[key] = result
            return result
        end
    end

-- bob(1)

AddLookupTable('bob')

print(bob(1))
print(bob(1))

Oh shoot, my dog must have ate the setmetatable line. I'll fix it. (I was testing with the extended version the entire time, didn't catch it).

That's a good point about the table lookup, I hadn't thought about that.

The idea is that you can use the FourCC.hfoo syntax for your own coding, but it doesn't break other resources that use the FourCC"hfoo" syntax, while also making those faster.