• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Map Development Mini-Contest #1 [FINISHED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
The Hive Workshop

w3m.gif

Map Development Mini-Contest #1

Contest Theme: Tower Defense
Each contestant must create their own unique tower defense based on a template map given.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No map may violate any site rules.
  2. You must use the template map given in here.
  3. No imported content is allowed:
    • All icons and models must exist in war3.mpq/war3x.mpq/war3patch.mpq.
  4. All editing must be done using the default World Editor.
    • GUI triggers and JASS scripts are permitted to enchance your towers.
  5. Only one race/builder is allowed to be created.
    • The amount of towers which can be build must be at minimum 3 and at maximum 10.
    • The tower defense is for one player.
  6. The map must have at minimum 10 and at maximum 20 waves of creeps.
  7. The path can not be edited.
    • The terrain can be enchanced using doodads/desctructibles.
    • You can not increase the map size or camera bounds.
    • You can change the tileset.
    • Everything else in the map can be edited.
  8. Completed maps must be physically attached to this thread.
  9. Prizes will be given only to one person. Teams are allowed, but not encouraged.

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 30 Reputation points and an award icon.
  • Second Place: 20 Reputation points.
  • Third Place: 10 Reputation points.

Judging
  • Your tower defense will be judged be me, Mini-Me, on the following criteria:
    • Theme. How well have you implemented the theme into your tower defense. How good is the theme (what is a theme? E.g. Nagas, Space, Fire etc.). Maximum of 6 points.
    • Balance. How well is the tower defense balanced. Maximum of 4 points.
    • Creativity. How original are your towers. Are they enchanced by triggers. Maximum of 10 points.
    • Appearance. Overall look of your tower defense. This includes the use of effects and how well they fit in your TD. Maximum of 5 points.
    • Triggers. Functionality, effectiveness. Maximum of 3 points.

Deadline
Each map must be complete and submited four weeks after the contest begins.
The contest shall begin on 23 July 2007 and conclude on 23 August 2007 23.59 GMT.

CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED!

The results

The Winner
Second place
Third place

You are going to have to search this thread for the other entries :p.

Attachments

• Mini TD Contest Demo Map.w3x
    18 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I won't join but still pwn the rest of you.

I like the idea of the template, lets see how creative people get with this idea. And by that I mean implementing other features into the td, not just making towers and changing terrain.

Level 36
I intend to use creative towers to make mine the best :)

I am absolutely in. This looks to be great fun :grin:

Edit: How many upgrades can we have? As in a tower has 3 different damage upgrades that only change the amount of damage the tower does, instead of creating a whole new one?

Last edited:
Level 22
Never built a TD before. Guess there's a first time for everything. Count me in.

How about adding water or raising/lowering the height? Kinda bad that w'ere stuck with Lordaeron summer as the tileset.... :( any chance at all I can create a new map file, but keep the same map dimensions and path?

The rules mention we can change the tileset, but we have to use the map given. Thats a little conflicting.
-VGsatomi

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Mini-Me, you forgot to say if protected maps were allowed or not.
You also forgot to mention clearly if no custom mini map image for pre launch is allowed since it is not a model or icon and would make it look slightly more proffisional.

Last edited:
Level 22
Uhm... just go to Advanced > Modify Tileset....

No need to create a new map :grin:

There is if you wish to use cliffs other then Lordaeron types. Its important is one wants to maintain a certain level of theme for the map.

Alternate tileset maps should be allowed in my opinion, so long as the map dimensions/camera bounds and the path/route is the same, as required in the rules.

Please let us know if you are willing to give us at least that much flexibility.
-VGsatomi

Level 10
You also forgot to mention clearly if no custom mini map image for pre launch is allowed since it is not a model or icon and would make it look slightly more proffisional.

He actually clearly said
No imported content is allowed:

Even if it isnt an Icon or Model, it is imported content and is not allowed.

I would join, but i think i might be busy with the paired mapping competition.

If someone doesnt make a Cheese ray tower that has a 30% change of turning enemies into cheese. I will be upset.

Level 16
How about adding water or raising/lowering the height? Kinda bad that w'ere stuck with Lordaeron summer as the tileset.... :( any chance at all I can create a new map file, but keep the same map dimensions and path?

I guess thats ok.

Dr Super Good said:
Mini-Me, you forgot to say if protected maps were allowed or not.

Well if someone feels they have out done theirselves and have so good ideas they dont want them to be stolen, it's ok to protect your map, but I will still need to get the unprotected version.

Everything cant be written in the rules, so please do ask if there are some things that need to be clarified.

There is if you wish to use cliffs other then Lordaeron types. Its important is one wants to maintain a certain level of theme for the map.

Alternate tileset maps should be allowed in my opinion, so long as the map dimensions/camera bounds and the path/route is the same, as required in the rules.

Please let us know if you are willing to give us at least that much flexibility.
-VGsatomi

If you change the base tileset, the cliffs change as well.

And I think I'll join this competition...

Level 16
Can we make the road (always unbuildable) but variate the terrain ?
Oh and how many tower upgrades can we make ?

Sure.
You can have infinite normal tower upgrades. Replacing, combining etc. counts as a new tower, not an upgrade.

Ham Ham said:
Just one question:

Is allowed to use a custom music?

Nononoonono.
I am not talking about of imported ones.

It is because I just hate the defalt race musics.
I wanna to put Power of the Horde as music theme.

You can use everything you find the in the default World Editor.

Level 3
I don't know if somebody else encountered this, but I have. I think it's a bug in the demo map, and if it really is, it's quite bad.
If you kill the first unit of the first spawn, before the seconds unit spawns, the other units won't be level 1 but level 2 - and after that comes level 2 again. I tested it, it's just if you kill the first unit of the first spawn.

Level 3
The amount of towers which can be build must be at minimum 3 and at maximum 10.
You can have infinite normal tower upgrades. Replacing, combining etc. counts as a new tower, not an upgrade.
So, what is a normal tower upgrade? And why is replacing a new tower? I don't build it, I upgrade it, don't I?
Please be more specific here.

- Is changing the tileset to Black Citadel allowed?
You can change the tileset.

Level 16
I don't know if somebody else encountered this, but I have. I think it's a bug in the demo map, and if it really is, it's quite bad.
If you kill the first unit of the first spawn, before the seconds unit spawns, the other units won't be level 1 but level 2 - and after that comes level 2 again. I tested it, it's just if you kill the first unit of the first spawn.

Not a bug. I dont know how familiar you are with triggers, but please do check them. The next level is launched when player12's food becomes 0. The spawns happen a second between, so if you kill the first creep in under a second, the next level will spawn. If you have such towers that kill in under a second, you have quite questionable balance, and I dont think you will be scoring high on that category :).
I would just like to remind that the demo map is not a complete td. It provides the very basic functions. Any debugging, extra features, and all that 'sizzle' is up to the one who takes this task.

A building that just contains upgrades and no attacks count as tower?

If it does not attack, and it cant be upgraded to attack, then it doesnt count as a tower.

Is Advanced Builder unit allowed?

Not sure what you mean. The rules state clearly that only one builder is allowed.

Is Fog allowed?

Yes.

Is changing the tileset to Black Citadel allowed?

Yes.

In future please read the first post where the rules and conditions are stated. Also be sure to read previous comments in here as your questions might have already been asked and answered (this goes to everybody). Thank you.

Level 2
I'll join. Dont sure if I got time, but still I join.

(Gona get completly crussed by pros...)

(Edited around 10 secs after the orginal...) Are we aloved to change the path a lite bit? just making it a circle in the end?

Last edited:
Level 16
Alright, so I can't upgrade from say Fire Tower level 1 to Fire Tower Level 2 without it counting as a new tower then or what?

What if I wanted to upgrade from Santa Clause to Super Robot Jesus Santa Clause?

Help! :eekani:

The names dont matter lol :). Your tower has an upgrade when you put in the object editor in the field "Techtree - Upgrages to" your next level tower. Thats an upgrade. You can have infinite amount of those. Replacing a tower with another tower with triggers due to some event would count as a new tower.

Are we aloved to change the path a lite bit? just making it a circle in the end?

I dont see what you would gain by that, but the answer is still no.

Level 3
Mini-Me said:
Not a bug. I dont know how familiar you are with triggers, but please do check them. The next level is launched when player12's food becomes 0. The spawns happen a second between, so if you kill the first creep in under a second, the next level will spawn. If you have such towers that kill in under a second, you have quite questionable balance, and I dont think you will be scoring high on that category :).

I was just testing the map with the default towers, to get a feeling of the map.

Anyways, am I wrong or can we adjust the number of spawning units per wave and e.g. make a boss spawn?

Level 36
Hey Mini-Me, how the hell did you balance this thing? Level 1 has like 4 hitpoints and then from there it goes to 420 for the next nine levels? Are we expected to modify these (I hope)? I'll half to up the bounties by a lot every level to afford 300 gold towers in a 10 level TD :eekani:

Level 16
Please guys just read what I have posted (especially the first post with rules/conditions) and what other's have already asked and what I've answered. I wont be repeating myself anymore.

Brad: Come on.... :) *hits on the head* :)

Last edited:
Level 14
what about switch towers, how do they count? by switch towers I mean the tower that can morph back and forth... for example druid of the claw tower, deals ranged splash damage, but you can switch it to bear form, and it deals melee damage then. But at any time you can go back to druid form

Level 16
what about switch towers, how do they count? by switch towers I mean the tower that can morph back and forth... for example druid of the claw tower, deals ranged splash damage, but you can switch it to bear form, and it deals melee damage then. But at any time you can go back to druid form

That's not an upgrade, therefore that is two towers.

Level 3
well, as i believe to be my first post ever, even after being here a multitude of time, *one year i believe*

"im in!"

ive always wanted to make a td, but i always get stuck on the terrain, and looky here!
amazing...
dont kno what imma do, but itll be good!

oops thats my second post... $#!+

Level 3
Should we or can we post WIPs or something? Or shall we tell something about our maps? Or should we wait till the end of the contest?

Level 2
Can we use WEU insted of the orginal world editor? It's not so much diffrense, but WEU have some triggers that WE dont have and WE have some triggers WEU dont have so I'm jumping betven them.

Can we use WEU insted of the orginal world editor? It's not so much diffrense, but WEU have some triggers that WE dont have and WE have some triggers WEU dont have so I'm jumping betven them.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  • All editing must be done using the default World Editor.

Learn to read?

Status
Not open for further replies.