• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

More Kobolds - Candle Priest

Level 16
I'm leaving the disease hero in development hell for now; It's the only hero with finished mechanics but I'm not feeling inspired.

Another hero idea, which is probably more applicable to more people, is a High Priest of Candles.

I've developed a bit of a gist so far:

priestsketch2.PNG
GIF 5-15-2024 3-37-04 PM.gif

Placeholder head, I'll make a custom one and edit the body a bit more.

The bird is a play on the "canary in the coalmine". The idea was inspired by @Remixer in the Geomancer thread.

As per the unreadable drawing, I'm going for pipe organ reminiscent candles on the back, and the canary will leave the cage on a few animations (death, for example).
Fire theme otherwise, obviously.

Any other ideas/criticism etc. welcome.

Level 16
Looking good. I wonder, how hard would it be to make staff's lantern shatter during death anim, and the bird flying out of it?
Current plan is one side swings open like a door, so bird can escape at death. Another one is a rare stand sequence where it gets out and he shoos it back in.
My current idea for his ultimate is a transformation, so the bird would escape in that case also.
If he transforms back though, I guess the bird should return?

Nicey. Would reckon some Medivh or some undead unit cloth texture instead of orc warlock to make it look more kobold like overall.
Yeah, fire theme. Could have a channeling stand animation when the back candles light up along with maybe the lamp staff.
More ragged? He is like the arch bishop of candles tho, so can I sneak a little colour in there, please?🙏 I'll check out medivh I forgot what he looks like.

This model reminded me of the stein123 model of his kobold magician :)
link? 😇

Level 16
Nicey. Would reckon some Medivh or some undead unit cloth texture instead of orc warlock to make it look more kobold like overall.

Gold sack texture ftw?

GIF 5-16-2024 2-35-32 PM.gif

I actually like the scroll texture because of the gradient from top to bottom. I'll have to remember to add more of that in if I do custom candles.

EDIT-

Sol Invictus!
fiat_lux.gif

I got half way through releasing the bird, but it was based on him stumbling (while standing still?) which didn't really make sense, and looked awkward. Like you're standing, minding your own business and suddenly twist your ankle for no reason....

So I'm gonna try making him release it deliberately. Then shoo it back in.
It doesn't really need to make a lot of sense, right?

ED2-

Amicus Animalis!
friend2.gif

ED3-

Cum Mortua Lingua et cetera!
Cum_Mortua.gif

Last edited:
Level 16
Looking good. I wonder, how hard would it be to make staff's lantern shatter during death anim, and the bird flying out of it?

What do you think of the cage-opening animations?

I'd say the death one is about 90% done. Just touch up the candle wobble and the crotch cloth maybe.
It's hard to see from that angle but the cage basically opens similar to the standing one before falling over.

Level 20
What do you think of the cage-opening animations?

I'd say the death one is about 90% done. Just touch up the candle wobble and the crotch cloth maybe.
It's hard to see from that angle but the cage basically opens similar to the standing one before falling over.
Great animations :)
I thought in the end the fairy would die (explode and disappear).
I have a question, does a fairy have a symbiosis with a kobold or a one-sided benefit?
If the former, then the fairy must die in the end.
If the latter, then the fairy should fly high up.

Level 16
Great animations :)
I thought in the end the fairy would die (explode and disappear).
I have a question, does a fairy have a symbiosis with a kobold or a one-sided benefit?

Originally they weren't friends, but I guess they are now :peasant-rolling-eyes:.
In my head this hero is more of a Good Guy than the other 3, so it makes a little more sense they are cooperative or symbiotic.

This is the dissipate so far:
candle_disipate.gif

I haven't tested it in game yet to see how the fade goes.

With my head-canon, kobold's candles kinda represent their souls in their religion, which is one of the reasons they don't want you taking them or putting them out. That makes this guy a sort of soul-keeper, but also encourages them to burn their brightest.

So what's the fairy/bird? I don't know I just thought it would be cool.

ED-

I tested it out, the death works really well imo, but the walk is strangely janky. Probably need to change the MoveSpeed of the sequence or something.

Attachments

• priest_test_1.png
    priest_test_1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited: