• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New Death Match Mode - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hey guys, I'm working on a new type of game for Death Match mode. It would follow the normal rules of DM, but instead of only being able to choose Half-Game or Full-Game respawn and end with Battle Arena, you would have a set number of Lives for your Hero instead. If you die to creeps OR enemy heroes, you lose 1 life. When you reach 0 lives you lose the game and Spectator Mode is implemented for you, very much how it is in Half-Game DM.

To win the game you would be the last Hero alive when all others have lost all their lives. There would be no timer where all the Heroes are then transported to the Battle Arena. It would be just like a normal game of DM in any other map you find it in. However, I have a few problems.

With this current idea, Heroes could just run away from their enemies for the entire game. When it comes down to 2 Heroes left, the weaker one could run just to frustrate the stronger one and make them give up and leave the game.

That is the main problem that I need to fix. Does anyone here have an idea that would create an incentive for the weaker Hero not to run?

Level 18
So far this is my idea:

[+] At the beginning of the game when each Hero spawns they spawn next to an altar-type building that remains invulnerable throughout the game until that Hero is on its last life. When the Hero is on its last life: if the altar is killed OR the Hero is killed the game is over. The Hero would respawn at this altar when on its last life and would be notified that either death results in a game-over situation. Also, when the Hero is within attacking distance of the building it will return to invulnerable status so that way the fight would be between the 2 Heroes.

[-] I see a problems in this mode though. Where would these altars be located? They could cause problems with pathing, cause confusion to others that there is an enemy invulnerable altar at random spots in the map, and get in the way of Architects trying to build a base.

[+]A possible solution would be that the altar does not exist all game until the Hero is on its last life, and then it appears in a preset area. The same rules stated above then apply.

Anyway, this is just my idea. I need to know if you like it/dislike it and have criticisms to make it better. I also would love to know if you can think of a better incentive for an enemy Hero not to just run away from the more powerful hero at the end of the game.

Level 4
Simple,make him visible after a certain period of time, hunters shouldnt have problems with this,and other classes could buy mercs to scout,the area isnt rly that big, you cant hide that much unless ur frost ranger(forgot name), altho i cansee problems with maki ng him visible just cuz its unfair to the frost ranger.

This mode is definatly a good idea,just cuz how ez it is to come back to the game if u die 100000 times,the amount of lives shouldnt be that much tho,like 5-6,Altar idea seems so messy, mb i dont understand it clearly,cant give any ideas tho on thaT, id just remove it from now.

Level 18
Yeah I agree it does seem messy and I wouldn't really like to do it this way... I just can't think of a better way. Making the Hero visible doesn't solve the problem unfortunately. Even in Battle Arena where all Heroes are visible it is easy just to run in circles and stay away. Luckily the arena is small though, imagine having the entire map to run around in. It wouldn't matter if the enemy could see you, it'd be hard for them to catch you especially if you were the Scientist (speed potion, stun, hologram) or Frozen Archer (Vanish speed bonus, Iced Arrow).

Level 12
Have you forgotten you skillz?

Wow i remember everytime i played this you could counter anything trying to run away just use a stun ability or buy boots of speed it is very easy to catch someone running away and its part of this game to play "cat and mouse".

You understand what im saying don't you this entire game is based upon finding/catching your opponent to win.

Level 4
^^

how are u going to find vanishing ice ranger if shes invisible 3/4 of the time?pls englighten me,also it has 50 percent move speed, i would rly like to know how to catch her,with ,for example medicine doctor(oh and mercs dun count cuz he ll buy as soon as its avalaible cuz he got much goldz)

Level 4
why do all of you suddenly think your going to buy all the mercs?the running person isnt stupid you know,and he prolly has a lot of cash cuz he crept like you(you cant creepjack unlessur hunter), so you wont have as much mercs as you think you do,also boots of speed dont add 50 % of move speed and heroes like medicine doctor can't do shit vs frost ranger etc,hell even if u play a decent nature mage its preety ez to escape

Status
Not open for further replies.