• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New Patch 9 notes (The Galaxy Editor Patch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Custom script, or Galaxy scripting, does not seem to be supported beyond the GUI custom script action which does let you do paragraphs and stuff. However, it has syntax highlighting!

Also, it seems like they copied WEU.. you can pass custom script in for a parameter in a function and stuff now.

Level 5
Ugh, took forever to figure out how the starting locations work. It isn't in the units like before. It is defined in the Players menu. And they use points. (There is a new layer called 'Points' where you make points on the map similar to the region layer.)

Looks like 15 players is the limit for SC 2.

Level 9
Libraries are the single most win thing ever now. You can pass them between maps and import them and <3.

I could see them being used to make a knockback library say, you can just improt them, and any GUI or JASS user can look at the improted libraries functions and find out what to do.

Ugh, took forever to figure out how the starting locations work. It isn't in the units like before. It is defined in the Players menu. And they use points. (There is a new layer called 'Points' where you make points on the map similar to the region layer.)

Looks like 15 players is the limit for SC 2.

16, I thought. Player(0) - Player(15) and you can turn off the neutral part of them.

Points? That's a very interesting feature. Instad of memorising coordinates to get the location you want, you have preset points. I wonder if they cause a leak though or have an internal mark on them, which the system will run through, instead of the point itself.
They should increase the players, to be honest.
As far as I know, you can't test maps, right?

Anything else that's weird or hot? :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
They basically will allow better interaction with the map for map dependant data. EG you can now use a point to represent a position on the map instead of making your own in an annoying to code way. Basically has the potential to save a lot of time for some sorts of coding as it also allows easier moving.

Level 9
I noticed a variations tab, which seems to let you set the mode in the lobby or something!

I cant do anything with it though, must not be done.

There is also "import Legacy Map", which didnt work with my maps :/.

But I think it could!

Level 14
The "Import Legacy Map" feature is a feature that allows you to import maps from both Warcraft AND Starcraft. Because people see this feature, they think they can just import directly into the Galaxy Editor. However, this is not the case, and mappers will be quickly disapointed in the output.

The "Import Legacy Map" feature is designed specifically for MELEE maps, not custom maps. It scans the resource locatations and the basic terrain and converts it to the most similar version of the terrain in SCII.

~Asomath

P.S. I have some screenshots up in this thread with a bit more detailed descriptions of certain items if anyone is interested, as this thread is looking to be more for the pure features itself: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/starcraft-ii-408/look-galaxy-editor-164711/

Level 5
Points? That's a very interesting feature. Instad of memorising coordinates to get the location you want, you have preset points. I wonder if they cause a leak though or have an internal mark on them, which the system will run through, instead of the point itself.
They should increase the players, to be honest.
As far as I know, you can't test maps, right?

Anything else that's weird or hot? :)

You can test maps. I tried it and it works. And why would the points leak? The points layer is like the region layer except... with points.

I'm currently trying to wrestle with the variables. I want to do a test where zerglings spawn and slaughter me. Nothing feels so good to be slaughtered by little zerglings.

One thing I saw was that Regions can be moved around (via triggers). Now, this didn't work in Warcraft 3. I assume it should work for Starcraft 2. I guess I better test it out to be sure.

There is an entire mode just for lighting. It looks very promising. Tons of control over it. Looks like we will be able to make very atmospheric maps.

Why didn't you ask for a key? To be honest, I really regreted I didn't do so, but thanks to the rest users, we have plenty of information. Thank you guys for keeping us up-to-date.

I am thrilled by the way. I am getting to the code matters (http://wiki.sc2mapster.com/ ~ link posted by PurplePoot) and some of them are really fancy. The one I got satisfied with is very very unimportant, compared to the features of the GE, but it has an internal GetClosestUnit() (called UnitGroupNearestUnit)!! You can also, despite the preset shaped regions, add your own circle region via scripting: RegionCircle.

Damn, the features are overwhelming and the fact that everyone is currently in the Starcraft II frenzy makes it even more exciting and scary at the same time. Forums will be flooded with maps, everyone will try to attain the best results and suddenly Warcraft III will be a story, long forgotten and burried in our modding past. :)

P.S. Asomath, I would love some screens of what Mr.Cheese boasts of: lighting.

Level 5
Well, the editor is missing data (which I presume is with the full game). This data is like missing units (there are no heroes available, for example. There are no campaign units available. I saw no lurkers. Alas.) So you may not really be missing that much by not being in the beta.

Variables are now made in a GUI window similar to triggers. You can place Variables in folders and arrange them nicely. No more going through a long list anymore.

One interesting thing is the train that is available in doodads in the Tarsonis tileset (maybe it is available in others too). You can lay down little tracks and connect them. And then you can place the train on them. Now, I'm thinking the obvious: "Does this train ride the tracks?" Can we make a little train simulator? Be funny playing a melee game and this little train goes through everyone's bases.

Level 9
Dont forget to look at Libraries, guys! View -> See libraries.

They will be amazing.

Also, does anyone have any idea how to convert a trigger to custom text, like WE? I cant find any options and am stuck with actions and such.

I could also use a native list, if anyone has one?

Edit: All problems fixed. Under "Options" in a trigger, just check custom text and write it there.

This is my code.

//==================================================================================================
//
// Generated Map Script
//
// Name: Just Another StarCraft II Map
// Author: Unknown Author
//
//==================================================================================================
include "TriggerLibs/NativeLib"

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Library Initialization
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
void InitLibs () {
libNtve_InitLib();
}

// Trigger Variables
trigger gt_MeleeInitialization;

// Trigger: Melee Initialization
bool gt_MeleeInitialization_Func (bool testConds, bool runActions) {
// Variable Declarations
int lv_local1;

// Variable Initialization
lv_local1 = 0;

// Actions
if (!runActions) {
return true;
}

MeleeInitResources();
MeleeInitUnits();
MeleeInitAI();
MeleeInitOptions();
UnitSetPropertyFixed(UnitLastCreated(), c_unitPropEnergyMax, 333.0);
libNtve_gf_CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1, "Armory", 0, 1, libNtve_gf_PointFromXYZ(0.0, 0.0, 200.0));
return true;
}

void gt_MeleeInitialization_Init () {
gt_MeleeInitialization = TriggerCreate("gt_MeleeInitialization_Func");
TriggerAddEventMapInit(gt_MeleeInitialization);
}

// Trigger Initialization
void InitTriggers () {
gt_MeleeInitialization_Init();
}

// Map Initialization
void InitMap () {
InitLibs();
InitTriggers();
}

New thing! you can display textures with alpha, i mean for terraining, it's like the airbrush function on gimp, you can set speed that it's put down, so overlapping textures are much better.

Edit: water is basically just a plane, with height, and you have to put raise/lower cliffs around it.
And there's different water textures, there's even lava.

Level 9
For those of you who have been looking for a "units within radius" unitgroup function, it is not there, as far as I can tell.

Here, however, is a "library" of one function I made to correct this problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l1mznkmorzj

Simply go to View -> Show Libraries, and then right click "Liberty" or something else in the new pane that appears. Go to the bottom, Library -> Import library... and find the downloaded file from that link.

Then, in any trigger you have made, you can use this new imported function as if it were a native.

Beautiful upgrade for SC2, eh?

Sadly, its one function, but as I find more missing things, I will attempt to add them.

Level 4
Where am I supposed to find the Galaxy editor?!
I can't even get the Achievements Promised! It says not available for beta but they are available from this patch! Help pls..I'm soo pissed!

Level 27
Hooray to the editor!
Of course I'm quite disapoint that I didn't got any beta key (Actually I doubt anyone in East-Europe recieved it), but after seeing this a realised that the game itself is gonne come quite soon, which mean I won't have to drool on other who already are trying the beta.
Also it seems that with all those Friends of Friends and other system Bllizard is gonna turn B.net 2 into some kind of facebook... Now I'm thinking who came with that earlier: Ralle or Bllizard?

Level 49
Oh shit... Bad news for ya'll European people, like myself. :(
Editor doesn't come out yet... That... Sucks. I just logged in Battle.net and it found a player to fight against(After which I ALT+F4'd). That... Sucks.

Although all of my statistics and data has been reseted. I have a Marine avatar, I'm in Practice League, it asked me if I'm a new player... Etc.

Level 9
Wow, I still havent figured out creating custom units. When I create a custom unit, and copy the data from the core unit, I then try to place it on the map, but it has no model D: Any ideas?

~Asomath

When copying the unit, you have to check the place where it says Model. I found that problem out the hard way.

Very annoying, the data editor is.

Level 22
I can hereby confirm that the update isn't out yet. I've tested several times, both at 19:00 CET, 20:00 CET, 21:00 CET and just recently 22:00 CET. I haven't gotten it. I can enter battle.net for some reason even though it says they're doing some maintenance and updated information will arrive 23:00 CET.

Status
Not open for further replies.