• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Risks of a 480 x 480 map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I've heard a lot of weird stuff about what happens or what can happen when making maps bigger than the standard maximum and I'm just wondering if anyone is able to link me to a known list of possible issues (if any.) I'm planning on making an absolute monster of a map and I wanna know what the risks are of doing this, thanks in advance :D

Level 21
I know that blight only works correctly with map sizes up to 256x256, however!
256+ maps can have working blight in their original 256x256 area, for example:
If you increase a basic 256x256 map in all cardinal directions equally, that starting area can have working blight exclusively.

Other than that you might want to keep an eye out on the number of units placed, doodads and destructibles.

Also region size and quantity, especially if they are frequently used for patrol points and unit creation. This can result in unwanted delay for issued orders.

All in all i would just suggest careful testing after every implemented feature.
It can be done like Gaia's Retaliation and several Game of Thrones/Azeroth War maps have shown.

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
Why would you want to make a 480 x 480 map? Because huge maps are always going to be epic and the best? Just like saying that 20 MB map must be awesome and interesting with lots of stuff and modified internal stuff is ridiculous, if I saw a map of that size I would instantly freak out, there's no way I would play a map with a tremendous loading time and a lot of lag. Returning to huge sized maps, they take time and effort to make, hard to control the thematic material specially if you add lots of features which might not have anything to do with the map, also huge sized maps take a big risk to make it interesting specially if they are very complex and the overall quality might degrade. Unfortunately Gaias Retalliation falls into this degrative catagory, it has bored me pretty quickly, too much unecessary and confusing things, not to mention long loading.
I don't want to be mean to you, but you don't seem to have enough experience to do such a huge map and you aren't aware of its big risks. Do the huge map if you want, but take my word as advice.
It's a shame people nowadays don't think that simple maps are golden masterpieces, pretty enjoyable and replayable 1000000 times...the good old days.

Reactions: pyf
Level 21
@Wrda, that's sensible feedback. Huge maps more often than not appeal interesting on paper/in theory, but are rarely deliver.

Also one should remember the dimensions here:
256x256 = 65.536
480x480 = 230.400
That's around 3.5 times the size of, what blizzard already considered to be an epic map - and they never used it, right?

Level 8
Why would you want to make a 480 x 480 map? Because huge maps are always going to be epic and the best? Just like saying that 20 MB map must be awesome and interesting with lots of stuff and modified internal stuff is ridiculous, if I saw a map of that size I would instantly freak out, there's no way I would play a map with a tremendous loading time and a lot of lag. Returning to huge sized maps, they take time and effort to make, hard to control the thematic material specially if you add lots of features which might not have anything to do with the map, also huge sized maps take a big risk to make it interesting specially if they are very complex and the overall quality might degrade. Unfortunately Gaias Retalliation falls into this degrative catagory, it has bored me pretty quickly, too much unecessary and confusing things, not to mention long loading.
I don't want to be mean to you, but you don't seem to have enough experience to do such a huge map and you aren't aware of its big risks. Do the huge map if you want, but take my word as advice.
It's a shame people nowadays don't think that simple maps are golden masterpieces, pretty enjoyable and replayable 1000000 times...the good old days.
I have years of experience, I've been working with the world editor since 2008, I just haven't posted much on hive, also the map I wanted to make was a space/ syfy map, with a good 60% or so percent of the map being open space and nebulas and meteors and such, i'd never even dream of making a map even remotely that big if it was all terrain and water

Level 13
In that case, a map that's open space would require just that: open space.
However, have you considered using a smaller map size, but instead scaling down the movement speed and scale of the units themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.