• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[SC2] - The very first Terraining contest -- Theme discussion -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I think the theme "Barren Wasteland" would work because its tough to create a realistic forest, but its even tougher to create a realistic barren landscape.

Level 14
But barren landscapes are so empty and booring! What fun would be in making them?

oh really?,look at the hidden starcraft part in the warcraft 3 RoC finale,that wasteland/barrens were kinda cool,and terrans=cowboys,zerg=aliens\
IT COULD BE LIKE A BATTLEFIELD!

Level 36
Well, some alien trees look pretty nice, not to mention Typhoon and Heaven ones...

No.

May I ask you Oziris and Keiji if you're even going to partipiciate in this contest?

If it has a interesting theme; Probably.

I am in favor of Steampunk or Cyberpunk right now.
Those are pretty good archievable with what is availabe and still let room open for creative approach.
What of those two would you prefer ?

Honestly, I don't really know what the major difference between the two are, but sure, if "Cyberpunk" is more easily done with the Sc2 editor, then I'm for it.
And on a side note, I'm going to shoot someone if we go for "Barren Wasteland."

Level 27
Upon further googeling, I find myself not so attracted to Cyberpunk as I were previously.
- It doesn't seem to have that same clunky, cog-like and rusty good look to it as Steampunk has.

Still in favor of Steampunk.

Yes, those styles differ that one has mechanics, automatons and steam/clockwork powered machinery, while another one is more about more futuristic computer tech.

Still, hard to imagine how can you make a Steampunk terrain in Starcraft 2. Sure, we have some pipes, some rusted metal structures and stuff, we have some mechanical doodads, but... we have nothing that would look like cogs! How can oyu imagine steampunk without them?

Level 27
Well I kinda like can come up with some of those, like how useful the boxes are, and gate controllers and other different things... but I cannot imagine what can be used as cogs...

So... erm, what about a Steampunk/Cyberpunk theme. I mean, a theme where you can make both of these. These styles pretty much have some similarities so it wouldn't be a sin to combine them...

Level 14
Howwww about

COLOR

In this theme, the artist chooses a major color and makes it the predominate color in the piece. All other colors are used to minor effect.

For example green could be a nature themed terrain, red could be a volcanic themed terrain, and silver/grey could turn into a Steampunk/cyberpunk terrain.

~Asomath

Steampunk would be cool, but it isn't very doable in Starcraft II. Cyberpunk just doesn't have the right feel.

Asomath, your color-theme idea is a pretty good idea! You're like me; when you see something, you think of a color that represents it. Sure, I have no idea what color it actually is, but I've always thought of a color to explain things. For example, when I think of Diablo II, I think "black". When I think of Diablo III, I think "red". When I think of Halo, I think "blue". When I think of Call of Duty, I think "green".

Anyways, I still say color-theme or Post-Apocalyptic would make good themes. If we could suddenly get a shitload of last-minute models, I'd definitely cast my vote for Steampunk.

Level 23
What does rainbow say for you?

On a serious note. I will wrap this content up within the next days.
And I personally think that Cyberpunk is the best idea, not only because Cyberpunk is an awesome genre, but also because it is doable for many users within Sc2 while being challenging aswell... also with a lot of room for creativity.
However I am open for objections within the next days, but please let them be constructive.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
No theme is a stupid idea, they're not there "just to limit you". Contests have themes to increase the chance that your work was actually created for the contest and to make judging a lot easier.

Level 27
Post-Apocalypse is lame. :\

It should be free theme since it's the first ever SC2 terraining contest on THW. :ogre_rage:

Yea, but quite a lot of people said they would like to see it.

Nonetheless, free theme please.

No free theme, please. Such unncertain themes don't lead to anything good... ussually when the free theme is given, people or making something very simple, or something very abstract.

Level 22
I really think limiting people to a theme weakens the result, maybe someone has a great idea for something, and then someone says... "YA LET'S DO TRASHCAN THEME" and then the guy with the great idea, gets owned. Idk, just my opinion.

Cyberpunk = Cliche

Post-Ap0calypse = Super Cliche

Level 27
I really think limiting people to a theme weakens the result, maybe someone has a great idea for something, and then someone says... "YA LET'S DO TRASHCAN THEME" and then the guy with the great idea, gets owned. Idk, just my opinion.

Cyberpunk = Cliche

Post-Ap0calypse = Super Cliche

Freedom of choice = Ultimate cliche

m0rbid, can we get this started?

Yes, yes! It's already taking to long with this one, we should finally settler with the main themes and start the contest!

Level 27
Woohoo! Finally, theme decided! Now... I kinda like will be away from PC for a week, but I guess there will be enough time for me to continue working on terrain after it... I mean contests ussually take up like two-three weeks, and I am definetly not a slow terrainer...

Also, I have no idea how that r got into my settle in my last post...

Not punk itself, but all genre-based punk types are, like steampunk and cyberpunk which are based on the genres of the same name. The goth culture itself sprung from punk.

The goth culture existed way before punk. The "emo" culture, similar to goth, became widespread after punk. There is most definitely a difference, though. People tend to call everything of that style "goth", however there is indeed a difference, and many people who call themselves goth are really just punks or emos.

The goth culture existed way before punk. The "emo" culture, similar to goth, became widespread after punk. There is most definitely a difference, though. People tend to call everything of that style "goth", however there is indeed a difference, and many people who call themselves goth are really just punks or emos.

Yea, the punk cultures is 10 years older than the goth, so can see this happening. Anyway, this is highly offtopic. If you want to discuss this, contact me via private messages or on my visitor page...

Level 13
Also before we do this can someone maybe make some quick terrain tutorials on how to do just basic stuff in Sc2 Editor such as fog and sky?

Level 27
Also before we do this can someone maybe make some quick terrain tutorials on how to do just basic stuff in Sc2 Editor such as fog and sky?

Well, don't know how you, but I'll try to immprovize and try to make it without those... who needs skies? We're talking about Steampunk/Cyberpunk here, large metal domes covering entire cities - now that's a solution for a real man!

howwww about

color

in this theme, the artist chooses a major color and makes it the predominate color in the piece. All other colors are used to minor effect.

For example green could be a nature themed terrain, red could be a volcanic themed terrain, and silver/grey could turn into a steampunk/cyberpunk terrain.

~asomath

love

Status
Not open for further replies.