• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Second Human Book of Arkain (Patch 1.29.2 or newer!)

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
arkain_2020_x200-png.369838

! No longer updated !
Check out the
True Story of Arkain for updates !

full

A Campaign Series made by Shar Dundred

! Requires Version 1.29.2 or newer !
You are not allowed to publish any edited version of any Arkain map! This includes but is not limited to Reforged edits!

Story

Betrayed, invaded, defeated.... The Humans of the Empire suffered greatly in their fight against the Demons. They have now lost another kingdom in the war against the Demons and the inner conflicts are just about to start. Only a strong hand and leadership can lead them to victory against these odds.
Command the cruel General Gardon Bloodclaw and unite the estranged factions of the Empire by any means necessary. Withstand your enemies, both inside and outside, and face the horrifying Demons.
The question is... how far are you willing to go for absolute victory? Will you have to sacrifice your humanity in order to achieve victory? Only time will tell.

Campaign Series Info

The Legends of Arkain is a campaign series which takes place on the world Arkain.
The races of Arkain fight against the demon invaders, who try once again to enslave every being on Arkain. The Humans, the Orcs and the Undead will have to make a stand against them... or face complete annihilation or enslavement by the Demons.
This campaign series will consist of actually three different series. There will be a Human, an Orc and an Undead campaign series. They will all run in the same timeline but will present three different stories and outcomes. When they are all finished, it's completely up to you, who wins this conflict.
Those, who win the war, will write the history.

You like the campaign?
Click here to see the progress of the series!

Click here for the First Human Book!
Click here for the First Orc Book!
Click here for the First Undead Book!

Click here for the Second Orc Book!
Click here for the Second Undead Book!

Let's Play made by @Jayborino!
Features

- Three different storylines/campaign series
Take control of one of the three factions, the proud Humans of the Empire, the plundering and strong Orc Clans or the mysterious Undead Nexus and their endless army of the dead, and face the demonic invasion as well as other struggles that await you.
- New units
Command units, you already know, as well as completely new units with new upgrades and abilities.
- Decide the fate of Arkain
At some points of the campaigns, you'll have the opportunity to decide things, that affect the storyline, characters and sometimes even the chapters you play or how you have to play them. By doing or, well, not doing certain side quests, you can also affect the campaign.
- Three difficulties
You can play the campaign in either easy, normal or hard difficulty, just like in the original WC3 campaigns. It will impact on the AI difficulty and scripting as well as other minor changes.
In easy version, for example, the AI won't rebuilt lost buildings.

- Full Jass AI
In this campaign series, every single AI is written in Jass instead of being created with the AI editor. This makes the AI more intelligent.
- Universal hotkeys
All abilities, units and buildings use QWER hotkeys.
- Race Mechanics
Every available race has its own unique race mechanic to improve gameplay - and, in some cases, to add new ways influencing the story.

Characters

full
General Gardon Bloodclaw
General Gardon is the most ruthless and merciless general in the Empire. He is known for using every available weapon against his enemies without showing any pardon. His background is a mystery. He simply appeared out of nowhere and became general. He proved very fast, that he got that position for a good reason, destroying the enemies of the Empire with fast, merciless effectiveness. He is the commander of the Ironfist, an elite force of the Empire, which often carries out top secret missions for the Emperor himself. According to rumors, Gardon himself enjoys the favor of the Emperor - much to the frustration of many higher-ranking Imperials. Yet none would dare make a move against him, as in the past, such attempts ended in disaster.
The fact that Gardon was forced to retreat because the inner conflicts of the Imperials had weakened them too much, infuriated him a great deal and he longs for a chance to take revenge on the traitors.

full
Admiral Merlon Seabright
Both in the Imperial and Royal Fleets, Admiral Merlon Seabright is a living legend. It is said that he was the captain of the ship that killed the Terror of Feraldir, a gigantic, demonic sea monster that had terrorized ships for thousands of years. Merlon dislikes staying on the shore for longer than absolutely necessary, for the sea is his true home. He is said to have been a critic and even an enemy of Gardon Bloodclaw until the two of them were assigned to a special mission. After that mission, Merlon remained silent about Gardon and even proclaimed to assist Gardon whenever he was needed.
Today, he is Gardon's most loyal ally who is not part of the Ironfist.

full
Larine the Exile
Larine used to be the personal guard and a good friend of the elven queen. However, she began criticizing the fact that the Elves were hiding in their woods instead of fighting side-by-side with the Imperials and Dwarves. She blamed the Queen for the fact that the Elves were despised by many of the Humans who had been forced by their surperiors to defend them. She left the Elven Kingdom and was later exiled. She went to the court of King Dorten of Kerrel and started working for him, gaining his respect. Trained in both archery and nature magic, she is ready to fulfill her surperior's every command.

full
Lady Cora Redfist
Following her father's wishes reluctantly, Cora joined the Imperial Army instead of continuing her studies in the Imperial Academy. Having proven herself as a valuable asset of the army, she was given the offer of joining the Imperial Navy. She had always loved the sea and knowing that the Imperial Navy would enable her to progress further in her studies of water magic, Cora accepted the offer and became a member of the navy, later serving as the liaison officer between the Imperial Navy and the Golden Guard.
Over time, she developed a certain dislike for Renald van Durce, the general of the Golden Guard, considering him arrogant beyond measure.

full
Lord Brian the Fallen
Long ago, before the Empire had set sail over the sea, Lord Brian was a high-ranking member of the Emperor's court. People were afraid of the lord in dark armor who was said to study the forbidden dark arts of Shadow Magic. One day, he and his family disappeared without any trace of their whereabouts. Since he didn't return after many years, people started to believe he had died. However, in truth, he had discovered ancient secrets and power. Whatever happened to him, it made him immortal and gave him unknown power and knowledge. It remains a mystery what he has done over the past centuries.

full
High Lord Inquisitor Renald van Durce
Being one of seven younger brothers of the former emperor and therefore one of the uncles of the current Emperor, Renald could have lived a peaceful life of luxury in the Imperial palace. However, he loathed his other brethren for letting the luxury make them become lazy and corrupt. Becoming a great warrior-priest and leader, he himself led the final assault that removed all Demons from the continent of the Empire. Renald had always been arrogant, but his success made it even worse. However, his loyalty towards the Emperor is almost limitless and only the Emperor himself can command van Durce. Whenever he and his Golden Guard are sent on a mission, the Emperor sends his finest, most loyal and most arrogant soldiers.
His full title is:
High Lord of the Imperial Court, Lord Inquisitor of the Order of the Righteous, Lord Consultant of the Emperor, General of the Golden Guard.

Click here to learn more about the other characters!

full

171388-albums8729-picture107345.jpg

171388-albums8729-picture107346.jpg

171388-albums8729-picture107347.jpg

171388-albums8729-picture107348.jpg

full

full

Initial Release

General:
- After finding out what caused the game to crash in the current iteration of 1.30, I fixed the Angelic unit, selecting it should no longer cause any crashes (Don't worry, I have fixed this with a 1.29 iteration, you do not have to update to the latest patch and I still advise against doing that, but those of you who already patched should be better off now)
- Increased the durability of Lord Brian the Fallen
- Armor of the Holy Bastion now also increases the hit points by 500 in addition to its 15 armor bonus
- Fixed Spears of Pain icon

Chapter Twelve:
- Added Resistant Skin for the Purificator in both A and B

Chapter Thirteen:
- Increased hit points of Krogar the Conqueror by 500

General:
- Replaced Krogar's Stampede with The Horde, summoning a group of permanent Moghtar warriors
- Praxeus gained the Memory of the Past ability
- Plating no longer increases armor and reflects damage, instead it now reduces all inflicted damage
- Lord of the Shadows no longer splits Brian, instead it allows him to summon up to four permanent Shadow Creatures from corpses
- The amount of trainable Black Dragons is no longer limited to 2, go train more, go nuts
- Replaced Horgar's Barrier ability with Lightning Rune, summoning a rune that attacks enemies
- Changed the model for the Healing Rune
- Horgar and Zarin have both received Spell Resistance
- Changed Gardon's title from Butcher to Warmonger
- Gardon and Praxeus now both have a new permanent item

Chapter Seven:
- Changed a few epilogue lines for the Undead if Larine becomes queen

Chapter Eleven A and B:
- Slightly edited and fixed some dialogues
- Added new dialogues

Chapter Eleven A:
- Fixed the issue with Zarin's portrait not appearing when speaking

Chapter Eleven B:
- Added more enemy Black Dragons and Black Drakes to make sniping the enemy bases with Destructors less efficient

Chapter Twelve A and B:
- Removed the lines coming from the three liches in the intro cinematic

Chapter Fourteen A:
- Salana and Larine may both now call on the Elven Forces (Salana may even call upon a certain hero if she is still alive)

Prelude:
- Adjusted the lines at the beginning of the map regarding the choice system from the First Human Book

General:
- Fixed the description of the Old Amulet

Chapter Nine:
- Praxeus should now start with his proper item, the Old Amulet, rather than the Ring of the Exile

General:
- Fixed the tooltip of Lightning Rune
- Vail's leadership bonus now correctly states that the increase is permanent
- The campaign no longer uses the latest melee patch due to several balance changes messing up things, a few unit changes still apply to the campaign however
- New icon for the Bowman
- Increased the hit points of Knights to 840
- Some grammar fixes
- Dark Secrets now displays the duration
- Fixed the hotkey for Lord of the Shadows

Prelude:
- Fixed the issue with the prelude finishing too early

Interlude Two:
- Fixed the skipping issues related to this cinematic

Chapter Nine:
- The hotkey for sending Marin lumber has been removed

Chapter Thirteen:
- Fixed the tooltip for Korgar's ultimate

Chapter Fourteen A:
- The hint now tells you that Salana/Larine can also summon a wave of allies

Chapter Fourteen B:
- The Old Amulet item should no longer lie on the ground

General:
- New upgrade "Skull Shield" available from Chapter Seven on

Chapter Eight:
- Replaced most units of the Order of the Flame with new, Order-specific ones

Chapter Five:
- Replaced the hero in the yellow base with a weaker hero to decrease difficulty

General:
- Upkeep reworked: Low Upkeep now gives you 8 instead of 7 gold and High Upkeep now gives you 6 instead of 4 gold

Chapter Seven:
- The items you get from Larine if you chose Salana are now the ones from Chapter Six instead of Chapter Five

Chapter Twelve:
- Replaced the building models used by the Dominion to better showcase their new organisation
- Changed the names of some edited buildings

Chapter Thirteen:
- New model for Orie Redfist
- New model for Red Mages

Chapter Fourteen A:
- Replaced the building models used by the Ironfist to better showcase their new organisation
- Replaced the models used by Peasants and Militia
- Changed the names of some edited buildings

General:
- Most maps now have their own unique loading screen made by @Rhapsodie

General:
- Shieldbearer Changes:
* Decreased the damage dealt by Shieldbearers by 3
* Decreased hit points from 1500 to 1100
* Increased food cost from 4 to 5
- Reduced the movement speed of Warmechs in air form
- Increased the food cost of Black Dragons from 8 to 10
- All workers now start with Repair activated automatically
- New model & icon for Sir Praxeus "The Holy Bastion" Braelon
- New icon for the Order of the Holy Bastion leadership bonus

General:
- Several tweaks and fixes (including changes that fix some bugs caused by newer Blizzard patches)
- Changed & Replaced several unit types and hero models to fit their kingdom/faction
- New models for Thanok & Claire (courtesy of @deepstrasz)
- New model for Shieldbearers (courtesy of @HerrDave)

Chapter Eight:
- Replaced Brutes with Firestarters

General:
- New model for Duke Redfist (courtesy of @Rhapsodie)

General:
- New model for Sir Jay Bubblerino (courtesy of @deepstrasz )

Chapter Eleven:
- Fixed the loading screen of Chapter Eleven

General:
- Fixed the food cost for Black Dragons (was 8, should have been 10)
- Fixed the button positions of Dragonhawk Riders and their Cloud upgrade

Models & Skins:
Blizzard Entertainment
67chrome
epsilon
Wandering Soul
infrenus
Tauer
AndrewOverload519
Mephestrial
Dojo
PrMosquito
Hawkwing
Em!
dickxunder
acagnip
Uncle Fester
Frankster
Mc !
IamMclovin
AhhFreshWeeD
Sin'dorei300
Elenai
Kuhneghetz
CloudWolf
alreadyused
Dark Hunter1357
Dmitry Rommel
Kitabatake
Shar Dundred
RazorClawX
Uljimasa Hojo
eXciTe
Sellenisko
frostwolf
-Grendel
Skipper
Deolrin
gookywooky
Callahan
BlinkBoy
Hueter
Coinblin
supertoinkz
SuPa-
Tarrasque
Power
Afronight_76
chr2
olofmoleman
imforfun
Deolrin
Pyramidhe@d
HerrDave
Meteor_demon
kangyun
Kael Theron
PROXY
JetFangInferno
JesusHipster
Makoodzaka
Rizz_Boomer
Arowanna
Rhapsodie
deepstrasz

Icons:
Blizzard Entertainment
Uncle Fester
CloudWolf
xylign
SkriK
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Darkfang
GreyArchon
67chrome
Fjury
PrMosquito
INSEKT
Muoteck
dickxunder
Frankster
CloudWolf
Kuhneghetz
Elenai
Heinvers
Shar Dundred
Uljimasa Hojo
SinisterX
Darkfang
Hemske
Palaslayer
NFWar
Hellx-Magnus
Justicebringer
Sin'dorei300
sigelang
Mr.Goblin
Mythic
antihero
Sellenisko
-ToasT
jigrael
Just_Spectating
APproject
Pins
Eagle XI
kangyun
-Grendel
BLazeKraze
Mc !
Kael Theron
Stanakin
JollyD
The_Silent
-Berz-
chr2
olofmoleman
San
Scias
Akolyt0r
Peekay
Edge45
ChevronSeven
4eNNightmare
Arowanna

Music:
Bastian Kieslinger - Tears of the Mire (used in Interlude Four)

Campaign Preview Screen:
Heinvers

Campaign Logo:
Mythic

Loading Screens:
Rhapsodie

Campaign Chief Development Tester and Grammar Genius:
Kasrkin

Additional Testing:
Championfighter25

Terrain Improvement:
Imperator (Prologue, Chapter Four, Nine, Eleven, Twelve)
Heinvers (Chapter Three & Chapter Eight)

Everything else made by:
Shar Dundred

First Supporters:
Theoden of KoMe
Chen
youness
Kasrkin
kakuzu
BandolXD
Heinvers
Imperator
Veritas 117
PlankingWolf

Please contact me via PM if I forgot to give you credit for your resource!

To Blizzard Entertainment for this great game.
To Turnro whose great campaigns inspired me to revive this old project.
To Jayborino for his enjoyable let's play projects of the Arkain series!
To all who supported this project!
To all who reported bugs and gave/give constructive feedback both during and after the development!
And very many special thanks to Kasrkin, who supported the creation of this project in many, even countless ways!

Feel free to post your suggestions, opinions and questions!
Please report any bugs!

Keywords:
Arkain, Legends, Legends of Arkain, LoA, campaign, series, Gardon
Contents

Legends of Arkain Second Human Book (Campaign)

Reviews
2016-04-10 Rufus: Rufus ReviewMap ScoreGameplay:25 / 30Aesthetics:20 / 20Total:45 / 50 Rating Chart 45-505/5 Highly Recommended35-444/5 Recommended25-343/5 Useful15-242/5 Lacking0-141/5 Unacceptable Gameplay That was one damn good first...
StoPCampinGn00b
Restricted under author request / work in progress rule.

Pick your favorite character

• Total voters
Level 4
@Shar Dundred
i completed first human book
so now i have to play orc or second human book to continue further story of first human book ? confused :confused:

and choices i made on 1st human book will be available in this campaign ?

and are my favorite general blen greymoore and adele not a main character this time ?

Level 4
If you want to continue the story of the First Human Book then yes, this is the one you gotta play.

Your choices will affect this campaign as well.

I cannot answer the last question without giving away spoilers.
@Shar Dundred hey i chooses a choice where later blen greymoore was dead .... is there any other choices which makes him alive in story or he is going to die anyway in any choice ? please give some hint

Level 29
@Shar Dundred hey i chooses a choice where later blen greymoore was dead .... is there any other choices which makes him alive in story or he is going to die anyway in any choice ? please give some hint

I think that, no matter what choices you may make, Blen Greymoore is supposed to die.

Level 4
I think that, no matter what choices you may make, Blen Greymoore is supposed to die.
Really ? No chance
What will happen if he didn't side with Gardon in 1st human book

I remember There is choice for him in 1st human book to go with Gardon or side with other where I decided to be with Gardon

Level 4
@Shar Dundred hey i completed human book 2
i choose golden force at last and all human heroes were dead
so it means demon won the war ?
how to continue this story is there any other part ?

Level 1
When i was loading the prelude my wc3 encounter a fatal error about some sort of 'written' ini the end.
I tested on the other mod ini my wc3 but there's no problem. Help me please i really want to continue this series

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Please check your WC3 version. If it is below 1.29.2, you need to update your game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 1.31 released!
General:
- New upgrade "Skull Shield" available from Chapter Seven on

Chapter Eight:
- Replaced most units of the Order of the Flame with new, Order-specific ones (special thanks to @Ujimasa Hojo for his Stromgarde models)

Level 1
Well my wc3 version is 1.26 ini Goong to update it today and i Will tell you of the problem still exist or not

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
My game is crashing while loading this campaign how do i fix this bug ? pls help me
In case your version of WC3 is not at least v1.29.2, then please apply the fix shown in the Spoiler before reading the OP again. Also, be sure your monitor is calibrated properly so you can read text in red on a dark grey background. A dust cleaner might also help.

Good luck!

:wgrin:

Note: In case this fix does not work, then please also check the connection between the eyes and the brain. Unplugging / plugging might help (dunno, never done it myself).

lunettes-intello--noir-accessoires-tk194_1_zc1.jpg

Level 3
CH 4 is way too hard and nearly impossible. My full army is finished by trebuchet once i reach the front gate only.... Hahaha... funny...

Yeah... i stop playing.. waiting something realistic coming on...

nothing that "whosyourdaddy" can solve hahaha

Level 2
Sry for the spoiler but i need to know how long has been larine the exile and gardon been a couple? i have so much question and love this ship right now. And when i watched some walkthrough in youtube by jaybarino it had different out come they chose salana instead of larine in his vids

Level 3
this campaign is very hard to me. after chapter 3 i couldn't play without cheats, even using "easy difficulty"

Level 4
Just use the specific unit who are made to counter the ennemy you face.
Game have a lot of hint etc etc to pass it. The only thing I feel that is misssing will an up of the number of supply allowed. Going to 150 or 200 will help a lot.

Level 8
I think we will need book three because Largoth is too interesting of a character.I mean if the second orc book and second undead book do not coverwhat happens after the end of the B ending of the campaign can we get like a sequel campaign of what happens?I would realy like to see how the story would develop.

Level 3
Finished First and Second Human book of Arkain
I enjoyed it!

But why you must kill him?? BUT WHY? BUT WHYYYYYYYYYY???

How could you?!?!? :mad::mad:
He is the best General ever...

Level 1
Good day to you sir!
I'm one of your fans of Legend of Arkain series. I would like to ask if could you please create a melee map of their races--> Imperial Army, Orcen Horde, Undead Nexus and Blooddrinker Legion. I think it would be great. I guess it would be best if it's created once the series is finished though. I hope you'd give a reply soon. Thanks again for your maps and may they all get completed in due time...
yes!!

Level 7
The story would not be as dramatic if you could just get all humans to work happily together against the demons, as sad as these divisions are.

However, I'm really interested on the follow-up of the story. There is too much left to be resolved.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Could you make a version where it could make it work for older versions like 1.26? I can't use the ressurection mod in the newer patches so is it ok for you to make a 1.26 version of this campaign?
No.
This would require me completely creating the campaign from scratch with 1.26 and I have no intention doing that as it would consume way too much time.

Level 7
I'm curious, when I watched videos of this campaign like Jayborino, I noticed that in long live the queen chapter, he is using salana instead of larine. Did I do something different that would change the choices? How to use salana in that chapter?

Level 7
I'm curious, when I watched videos of this campaign like Jayborino, I noticed that in long live the queen chapter, he is using salana instead of larine. Did I do something different that would change the choices? How to use salana in that chapter?

You need to:
not select the "elves of the ironforged" leadership bonus

Level 7
I've already posted a summary of the strategies i used to beat missions 10, 11-A, 12-A, 13, 11-B, 12-B and 14-B (and how I attempted to beat 14-A without success - with the old campaign version, my choices along the way, and the refusal of the pact, it was absurdly difficult) at the page 55 of this thread.

I also recently posted strategies for the first book as I went to beat it in hard.

Now, I will also do this for the early mission of the second book, using the latest update.

You get Gardon, Merlon, and a bunch of arrogant bastards... I mean golden guards soldiers.

For the heroes abilities, there are some difference for Gardon compared to first book. He no longer has a damage+stun ability, with a damage+armor ability instead. If you're not great at micro, you can forget about it. It takes time to select and target and the end result is undewhelming. Immolation can be useful but don't forget to turn it off after battles. The increased damage and hit point regeneration can be useful in several battles. The really good abilities are Zed's invocation and the overpowered war aura which adds a whopping +70% attack to nearby friendly units.

Merlon is similar to the first book. Thunder clap, then the ultimate and the aura are my order of preference.

Now, you're under the rain in Kerrel, and you must go help the royals... How to organize the units?

The executors are good units, very solid with nice damage. I suggest putting them along the two heroes. The priests, the crossbowmen and the zealot are better in a separate group intervening only when needed.

There are a few nice items to retrieve if you go in some side paths. The tomes should go to Gardon, as you won't have direct control of Merlon in the last (and hardest) mission.

You'll encounter murlocs... allied with orcs ! I suggested killing as much of those as possible and completing the related side quest to get a reward.

You don't have to be too cautious with the lives of the golden guards soldiers if you want accidents to happen... If you keep some of them to escort Lerrig at the end, he will help you in a future mission. On the other hand, Lerrig is an idiot who fought along the traitor Genethas and keep wasting human lives trying to be a commander, so in my own playthrough I chose to... he has been killed by the demons, that's right, Lerrig has been killed by the demons.
When I first played this chapter, it wasn't even in hard, yet I would have sworn it was. Without a good strategy, this can be a pain.

First thing to resolve : which leadership bonus? I love the flavor text that come with them, but there is a choice to be made here... I recommend going with Gardon's direwolf bonus. The +25% boost to building HP with Merlon is actually useful when it comes to defensive power with towers, but the really hard part of the mission is the attack, not the defence. And for the attack, direwolves are better. I've compared them fully upgraded with fully upgraded knights, and the HP are very close, the defence is a bit lower for the wolves, but the attack points are significantly better for the wolves. And the faster you kill the enemy, the less it can damage you. As you may notice, I didn't even look at production cost. The peak power of the army is key in tough battles, and sacrificing it for smaller costs is a bad bet as the losses in battle will kick in.

There is another 4-food units which deserve a mention : greywolves. They have poor attack and HP compared to both wolves and knight, but they do have an useful defensive aura. All along the mission, I took care of always having one or two of them per melee units group.

As for bowmen, I felt that they are certainly not worth 3 foods (2 would have been much more reasonable for such a frail unit) so I never trained any.

At the start of the mission, I immediately began training a lot of workers. Unusual setup : 5 workers aren't enough to get max output from the gold mine with the castle on the hill. Hence, I added a few workers to gold mining before sending more to do woods.

I also started doing upgrades for all the units I intended to use along the game.

I split my initial forces in 3 groups : one with Gardon, Merlon and a few soldiers ; another with more soldiers ; and a last one with priests. The Gardon group guarded the eastern entrance with the ability to quickly go to the northern entrance, while the other was tasked with the western entrance. The melee units you get at the start are terrible, but you can replace them with direwolves later as they die.

Remaining at low upkeep, and having trained a few more priests, I could defend my base without any serious trouble. I purchased fire orbs for both of my heroes, and built towers to defend every entrance, especially the northern one which was not directly guarded by units. I progressively increased the number of towers as the mission went along and I collected gold in order to make defending easier. The ideal tower mix has a few guard and cannon towers, and a lot of arcane towers. Magic attacks and mana burning are awesome against infernals, doom guards, fel hounds and other dangerous demon creatures. The reveal ability of arcane towers is also wonderful. Towers should be disposed in C to maximize firepower on enemies without allowing an advanced tower to be picked off separately. Your defensive units should be located in the middle of the C : €.

With the priests healing after each battle and by manually pulling out wounded units, I could minimize losses and accumulate gold for upgrades and for a future big army.

When I was satisfied, I made a big melee group with the heroes, Zed, greywolves and direwolves, and another group of priests, staying at low, and went north. I tasked a greywolf, a few direwolves and an hydromancer to guard the eastern entrance. Hydromancer are decent units, offering some ranged damage and appreciable support spells (slow on the enemy, haste on your units, or a nice damaging water wave if you don't mind the micro (I barely used it because I dislike micro)).

The army with my heroes went north, back the path explored in chapter 1. These damn murlocs went back, and I exterminated those crossing my path again. There are a few decent objects to collect along the way, you may want to intentionally leave something at the base to have room for others and sort things later. I had two teleportation scrolls for Gardon to allow emergency return to main base, but I actually never needed it, even during the worse demon attacks where souleaters (green) and darkblades (orange) teamed up.

Once past the swamp, my army encountered demons. It's best to alert some, pull back, kill them before dealing with the rest, as taking on all the dreamhunters (red) at once is a pain. I had to actually train some new units after an important battle with them. It was only after this first weakening that I could have a successful attack, killing them for good and destroying the demon gate they used along with a teleportation portal to attack your base from the North.

At this point, I brought a catapult and destroyed trees north-west of the portal... Up until I cleared up the way to the golems (you thought you killed them in chapter 1 ? They're back !) with a nice item as a reward once killed. Only after this I went to the portal and returned to my base.

At this stage, I had a nice gold stockpile and with the threat from the North gone, it was time to attack.

I prepared four groups : (1) Gardon, Zed, greywolf, direwolves (2) Merlon, greywolves, direwolves, hydromancers (3) priests (a lot of them) (4) catapults (these things are very frail but they're awesome to destroy buildings... including demon gates).

However, once the few static demons were cleaned up, the issue I encountered the first time I did that mission was still there : there was a huge amount of darkblades demons to defend the demon gates. Managing to destroy the gates had been a very tense grind in my first playthrough, it went much better this time.

I soon understood that there was way too many enemy and that even my big army would lose, so I pulled back in direction of the western entrance of my base, with the demons pursuing my army. As I lost some mens, I started the training of replacements, and soon began a huge battle. With the support of about a dozen of towers (the arcane towers did very well) in addition to my units fighting back, I had the advantage. Soon after, the demons were wiped out while I had replacements for my losses finishing to train.

The demons had not the time to recover to face my full-strength army and they crumbled, my catapults taking care of eliminating those annoying demonic defensive towers and doing the bulk of the damage on the demon gates. Afterwards, I attacked the pit lord and cleaned up the darkblade demons in the south-east corner of the map.

After regrouping in my main base and healing, I went back to the goldmine which had been defended by the darkblades and built a new base (including many towers and new unit production buildings). The additional gold would help to take on the souleaters.

These bastards have no less than five demon gates, and I suffered heavy losses in a first attack. I had to pull back behind my towers to regroup while I replaced my losses.

A second offensive went better, and I began sending replacements of losses directly to battle to never let the pressure down. Once my catapults and melee units destroyed the first demon gate, it got easier to advance, and soon after the demons were annihilated from the area.

Last edited:
Level 7
Continuing onto the following chapters.

You have one task : get through the Pyrrean pass with Gordon and Cora.

And the soldiers of the rebel Retka really don't want to let you through. Thankfully, most of them are just conscripted farmers, aka militia.

At the beginning, I followed the usual strategy : more workers for wood, research all useful upgrades.

For the leadership bonus, I went with academical knowledge: I compared executors and direwolves, and concluded that executors are just as good if not better, while the +100 mana for chaplains will help when it comes to healing. I avoided Whipsers in the Dark because Aedale already got stupidly corrupted by demons, I didn't want another Redfist to follow a similar fate.

Next, I moved my heroes and soldiers west, towards the entrance of the pass. As all enemies will come through here, it's easier to just wait them here.

The attack waves you will receive at this stage are simple : a lot of militia. You may lose some of your useless weak 2-food melee units, but you should crush those waves very easily. Cora's ultimate (which, appropriately, uses water waves) will also do marvels, inflicting tremendous damages on these weak but numerous units.

Next, I sent a peasant to build towers next to the pass entrance, with a mix of all towers type. I placed arcane towers in a special control group.

When I got enough resources, I built two catapultes and trained a few crossbowmen to go along Cora and some healers, still staying at low upkeep.

The arcane towers are doing wonders in this mission (as in most missions where they are available !). Using the reveal ability (hence the control group), you can look at what's going on on the rocks around the pass, and use your catapults, crossbowmen and Cora to kill the militia archers and destroy catapults and towers (technically, Cora's blizzard is good at this but I barely used it).

At this point, I began slowly advancing in the pass, crushing the weak units blocking it. Not long after, I arrived at a critical point : the spot where units from several enemy bases teleport on their way to attack your own base. If you leave it undefended and keep advancing, you'll run into trouble as your towers and soon after your base will be at risk, and constantly retreating your main army to avoid this is a poor option.

The good option is very simple : build A LOT of towers. I had around thirty. Cannon towers have friendly fire, but they deal especially high damage, so I suggest having a few but having a few workers available to repair towers between attacks (retreat them once they're done, to avoid them dying). With that much towers, the enemy groups teleporting in are destroyed so quickly that they barely have the time to damage your towers, and even the bulkiest attack waves of Retka's army (with real soldiers instead of pathetic militia units) won't stand a chance.

I also built a town hall, a barrack and a sanctum at a slightly earlier point in the pass, to make reinforcements to my main army faster and to be able to retrain workers for repair duty easier.

At this point, I went from 50 food (max no upkeep) to 80 food (max low upkeep) with more executors, crossbowmen, chaplains, catapults... Everything.

The units defending the pass get stronger along the way, but they're easy to deal with if you don't rush. Gardon and melee units should do well against everything in the main path (along with Cora's ultimate when needed) while crossbowmen and catapults should focus on cleaning the upper areas surrounding it with the arcane tower's reveal.

There is a retka army's barracks at one point, it makes a good spot for new advanced barracks and sanctum;

When Cora gained a level, I upgraded her cold aura to be more effective (it's nice to reduce damage your units take).

At some point, you arrive at a junction.

I pushed north a bit to clean the pass some more, before going east to the first village which was sending attack waves. They've a lot of buildings constantly retraining their units, but their units are weak apart from a single hero which will attack you when you push further into the village. Focus him with all your units, stun and damage him with Cora's lightning bolt, and he won't last long.

Methodically destroy every single building, kill all peasants and units attacking you, be careful defending your catapults (I found the crossbowmen and Cora to be good for this), and soon enough you will have entirely eliminated this threat.

I then sent workers to build a new town hall to start collecting gold from a second mine.

In the south-west, there is a bunch of powerful units along with a hero. You may suffer from some losses in the process, but kill them all for a nice reward (iirc, there is a tome, do not give it to Cora as she won't be available in the hardest mission of the game).

At this point, some enemy attack waves are not teleporting into your tower-trap but try to directly attack your army and your secondary base, but it should be easy to hold them with your forces and start advancing again.

There is another junction, with the northern path leading to three enemy bases and the western bases leading to a second village. This second path is guarded by annoying criminals, the kajon marauders, but the process to eliminate them is the same as earlier.

I also used several peasants to build towers and new production building just south of the junction, in order to have a defence from attacks coming from the north, a retreat point for my army in case of trouble, and the ability to retrain troops faster.

In the village of Essix, killing the chief of the Kajon Marauders, some sorceress on a mount, you have to go all the way south while being attacked by both the marauders and the units from the village. If you just rush into it, things may turn badly for you (aka : I tried once and got my units wiped out while failing). I suggest maxing out your units and first doing some unit cleaning at the entrance of the village before pushing further. Cora's ultimate is a great help there. When reaching the chief of the marauders, focus her with all your melee and ranged units, and don't hesitate to use Cora's Lightning bolt as often as possible.

I lost the majority of my units in the process, but I completed the sidequest and the villagers turned on the marauders.

Retraining troops was not a concern, as I had a lot of gold from my two mines. I took the item reward, helped the villager to kill some marauders and repel an attack by Retka's army, and went back to my advanced camp. Don't count too much on the villagers, their attack waves will be rare and weak, even with the upgraded equipment.

Once my units were fully trained, I finished cleaning up the pass and with several peasants started constructing another advanced base with towers in front and unit production building in the back.

In my first playthrough, I tried to get rid of the two western bases (purple and teal). This was a terrible idea, because I faced the flood of enemy units west and had trouble even progressing past the chokepoint of the bridge and enemy towers, while Retka's army could attack me in the back. I managed to win, but only after an insane grind;

This time, I dealt directly with the main base of Retka (red) which has by far the strongest and most annoying units of the mission.

They didn't like my attempts to build towers, but those proved useful : after attracting enemy attention, I could get them to rush and fight both my towers and my army at once, which makes things much easier. Nonetheless, I suffered heavy losses (especially as the western base kept sending attack waves to repel, but towers and some units could manage). After a few attempts, however, I could breach through.

Cora's ultimate also affect buildings, so putting her in an advanced spot where her ultimate can attack a lot of buildings and enemy units do wonder as long as you can protect and/or heal her with the rest of your units.

Barracks and sanctum should constantly retrain units to replace losses. I had more than enough gold for it, and it is very important to not let the pressure down. Once the main enemy resistance is broken, it's important to keep pushing and pushing.

There is some hero defending the enemy base, but he was so effective that I don't even remember his specifics. Focus him, send a lightning bolt or two, and he will die.

After a while, victory was obvious and I just had to finish cleaning up buildings.

The mission didn't end here, however, because the red barracks in the western rebel bases also have to be destroyed for the main quest.

Now that I could focus my full power there, it wasn't too hard to tackle two bases at once with their weak units. Cora did once again a good job with her ultimate after having crossed the bridge.

I destroyed every single enemy building just for the sake of it, but there is no special reward to be found anywhere that I'm aware of. Once the last red barracks is destroyed, the mission is finished with a victory.

In the end screen statistics, I had more than 2200 enemy units killed over the course of the mission.
Ah, chapter 4... The infamous chapter whose difficulty has pushed many players to complain ever since it was available.

Let's be honest, this chapter is a huge time sink to beat without cheating, because you often have to progress bit by bit. And, if you don't use the correct strategies, you're bound to suffer. But it's not that hard.

And I actually appreciated the fact that there was no hero at all in my troops. This made for a different experience, and certainly not a worse one than those missions where there is too much heroes and base units feel useless.

Once again in this campaign, the early moves are simple : more workers for wood, doing all upgrades useful for the units you will use.

I stayed at low upkeep during the early parts of the mission, and had a main group of melee units, along with a secondary group of healers and a third group of crossbowmen.

You soon won't have enough wood inside your base. I built a lumber mill to the east between my base and the ironfist base, and a wall of towers south of it to prevent utter destruction by the traitors attacks which will sometimes target it.

For the base defences, I built additional towers, but the fact that the base is up a hill is as much an inconvenience that in it is a defensive help, in my experience, because the cliffs hurt tower placement potential and unit movements.

It is very important to be aware that you've 5 zero-food units : the 4 elites from the start, and Zed. You don't want them to die. The fact that they don't count for upkeep and for max army size make them extremely precious. Pull them back each time it is needed. When your knight dies, replace them by executors. They are more food-effective than elites anyway, and it will avoid you the trouble of confusion and having a zero-food elite dying.

Attacks from the Rohir Nexus (light blue undead) will target the western entrance of your base, while human traitors (orange) will target the eastern entrance and the lumber mill base. I placed my melee units between the two entrances to be able to help both. Towers weren't very solid but they did help.

Attacks also come from a dark blue undead base, which will target either the north-western entrance or the south-western entrance. Their attacks with aerial units are the most annoying of all in my experience, as your melee units are powerless to help and the wyrm can freeze towers. Having some crossbowmen helps a lot.

So far, I've only talked about the defence.

Let's talk about the attack !

The latest version, with low upkeep at 8 gold instead of 7 gold, makes low upkeep less punitive. Hence from this point onward, I tried to stay at max low upkeep.

However, while this is a help, this part of the mission is not fundamentally different from how it was when I played a much earlier version of the campaign.

You first need to get rid of the dark blue western undead base, and charging head on with even a full army would have been a terrible idea.

It's time to make use of the shadow stalkers lent by the shadowy man. I trained several of them and made them in a control group. Now, I'm sure some players having said this mission is impossible also tried this before discovering that the shadow stalkers are still attacked by the enemy - which can understandably be infuriating.

Remember what I wrote for chapter 3 ? "The arcane towers are doing wonders in this mission (as in most missions where they are available !)"

Using the reveal ability of an arcane tower will allow to instantly understand why the shadow stalker are attacked : there are invisible shades who can spot other invisible units... But if you just rush a shade while the arcane tower power show it, you can kill it before having lost your shadow stalkers to enemy attacks, and the enemy is now blind... The shadow stalkers can keep attacking units and buildings around them.

Now, there are several shades waiting to spot you further inside the base, but the same basic process apply : spot with arcane tower and destroy.

It is possible to do a regular attack on the south of the undead base to distract the bulk of the enemy army to have an easier time killing shades, but it is not required at all. I preferred keeping my units in defence, as the attacks by the light blue and orange base were quite strong.

Once the shadow stalker reach the core of the enemy base, they can kill adepts and destroy the necropolis. Be patient and kill any adept which try to rebuild a necropolis. Once you're confident you've killed all of them, the enemy can't rebuild any building. I went on destroying the unit production building, then killing the units. The arcane towers can also reveal the crypt fiend who try to hide into the soil to heal, don't forget to finish them off so that they don't later attack your workers.

Once the base was properly cleaned up, the shadow stalkers went on destroying the useless grey undead building in the front of Toran's capital city while my workers built an extension in the west. It doesn't need to be defended, enemy attack waves will target your main base.

With the shadow stalkers, I slowly killed all of the land units and towers guarding the trebuchets of the side quest (honestly, I think the amount of these units is overdone, it's trivially easy to kill them, it just take a long while. It forces to be able to defend the main base longer, but if the player is still alive at that point, he's able to defend decently). It seems that the shade which was near the trebuchets in early version is not here anymore, but the arcane tower trick would have allowed to deal with them.

Now, Rushing on destroying the trebuchets is good, but finishing off the aerial units guarding them (which allows to get your own trebuchet) is not the best idea in my opinion, because it forces to commit soldiers to defend them which can't defend the main base.

I had noticeable trouble when trying to send a bunch of crossbowmen along with some priests to wait on the stairs towards the trebuchet.

With my shadow stalkers, I slowly destroyed the human towers south-west of the westernmost entrance to the city. I had to retrain some new stalkers, but in the end I got access to the very annoying light blue undead base. The arcane tower reveal + rush shade tactic works too here, even though it's tricky. Once you've finally eliminated this base, things get much better. You only have one enemy base to face, the orange one, and you can organize a proper attack.

I eliminated the aerial units and took control of the trebuchet and moved the bulk of my forces to the south of it. I had some fights with the enemy army and the elven hero south of the road leading to the trebuchet, and I suffered significant losses, but I had more than enough gold to train replacements and to slowly push further. The attacks of the ironfist allied base actually helped at this stage, as they focused attention away from my units and helped to kill more enemies.

It took a while, and I got the trebuchets destroyed by an enemy incursion (I didn't find them very effective and had no defence) but after a while, my executors, free food units, healers, crossbowmen and catapults won.

Because I was careless (and didn't want to reload an earlier save), I had lost both Zed and one of my four free-food elite. This is a bad thing for the end of the chapter, but it's not disastrous either.

After the orange base was wiped out, I built new bases (I had 3 goldmines exploited at the same time, as the main base gold mine was almost empty I transferred its workers to one of the new bases). There are a few abominations and a mega-abomination "hero" guarding an entrance south-east of the old teal undead base, I took care of them (some trebuchets attacked my units from the south but it was not a major issue).

I destroyed the gates towards the souther part of the city, and I was told that Shadow Stalkers would be taken from me as I don't need them anymore. Indeed, those I had disappeared and the option to train them from the arcane sanctum disappeared, but those I had which were in the process of training finished and I could use them. Bug, @Shar Dundred ?

I use those stalker to kill the guards of the trebuchets, destroy the trebuchet, kill the guards of the imprisoned elites... But this can all be done with normal units if you're ready for a few losses.

The 6 imprisoned elites are zero-food units, which make them amazing and very precious. I put them in a special control group with my remaining zero-food units. I destroyed the elite corrupt guard buildings, and sent a few workers to build my own. My crossbowmen destroyed the destructors which guarded the outside of Mayor Kent's place, but they didn't approach further. The ironfist attacked now and then, I let them do while I was busy building a town hall, two barracks, a sanctum, and a lot of towers (mix of all types, with many arcane one) north and south of the paved road.

By the way, there is a hidden message on the rock in one of the nearby areas visible with reveal ;)

My stalkers could kill Kent's guards without issue, and only when Kent was almost alone did I sent my units to destroy the remaining destructors and finish off the despicable traitor.

At this stage, it becomes possible to attack towards the east to liberate Gardon.

You receive the shadowy man as a hero. You can send him take the glyph of fortification in the southwestern most spot of the map still outside of the city walls, but it's not very useful. More useful is buying him a few items. His spells are a stun, an excellent ability which make enemy attack miss in a decent area (I recommend upgrading it), reducing a lot damages inflicted on friendly unit. He has the same lifesteal bonus as Gardon, and his ultimate is the summoning of permanent shadow monster from corpses. This ultimate is very good (much better than the old version which split Brian) and its auto-cast should be enabled.

Now onto the attack.

There is a bunch of traitors and undead in the room just east, so I sent my army lure them, before going back to the safety of my towers. I repeated the process, and sometimes fought longer inside the room and on the outskirt of the main base area eastwards.

My zero-food units stayed behind the whole time, I kept them as a reserve to overwhelm the enemy, and this was not the right time to do so, the defences were still too solid.

There are two towers, two huge undead golems and many units guarding access of the next part of the city, and they inflicted a lot of damage on my troops. I had to retrain most of my units more than once (Brian also died once then, and once later in the battle) before a decisive attack with Brian+executors, crossbowmen and healers could break through. The catapults I had at the beginning were not replaced once destroyed.

There are two enemies : grey human traitors, and the pink fallen mage guild full of undeads. The key is to destroy the grey base.

After one more attacks where I fought a bloody battle and I had to retreat, and after which a wave of undead spirits crashed on my towers, I went all in : my refreshed regular troops plus my reserve zero-food elites.

The pink base couldn't come to support the grey base as fast, and I could finally take a big chunk of that base defences. I was nonetheless overwhelmed once more and had a few elites die as I was retreating. However, this weakening had been useful and on the following attack (which happened very soon because I also used some unit training buildings further north to replace losses quicker) I completely overwhelmed the grey base.

I quickly sent peasants to begin build towers and new unit production buildings south-west of the grey base, but in the end I barely used them. Pink troops alone where not enough to kill my army, and I slowly but surely destroyed every single building they had to liberate Gardon.