• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Shonen Wars v1.9d

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Map Description
Shonen Wars is 128x128 sized map. Where you can pick from over 20 heroes from great variety of animes (Underground/Mainstream). You may create over 45 recipe items, and buy/get over 80 items in overall. There is chance to do sidequests which give you gold or rewards, that may have secret uses. Basic platform of gameplay is based on AoS system, yet in future you may see more complex version of it, such as upgrading troops or capturing points. Thats about it in a nutshell.

Forum
http://shonenwars.informe.com/forum/

Game Modes
-SM (Short Mode)
-USM (Ultra Short Mode)
-DM, -DM5 (Death Match, number indicates Lives)
-ID (Item Drop)

Author
xRyStaRx / ShiroiSenji

Commands
-MS (Movement Speed)
-MA (Matchup)
-Music On / -Music Off (Starts Song for all players)
-Cam High / -Cam Reset (Resets or Sets camera more higher)
-Unstuck (If hero is stuck somewhere this fixes it)

Playable Heroes

Black Star (Soul Eater)
Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)
Death The Kid (Soul Eater)
Mukuro Rokudo (Reborn!)
Belphegor (Reborn!)
Tsuna Sawada (Reborn!)
Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)
Lucy Heartphilia (Fairy Tail)
Gajeel Redfox (Fairy Tail)
Juvia Loxar (Fairy Tail)
Saber (Fate/Stay Night)
Archer (Fate/Stay Night)
Shana (Shakugan No Shana)
Yoh Asakura (Shaman King)
Yagami Kazuma (Kaze No Stigma)
Edward (Full Metal Alchemist)
Gluttony (Full Metal Alchemist)
Allen Walker (D.Grayman)
Lenalee Lee (D.Grayman)
Hei (Darker than Black)
Coyote Starrk (Bleach)
Killua Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter)

Credits
Black_Stan, AnMan, Kimimaro49, Jhxcom_200, ddahe, Mello HiedanoAkyu, JetFangInferno, Siontatari, kkangtemplar, Veil, Rising Dusk, thomasinow, Pkw, Neilc, WILLBEALLMIGHTY, Thomanisow, Robot-dude, Avalon, YosukeHanamura, Dm251, J0k3r, Sindre, Marsal2000, Avarize, iAyanami, MiaYukio, Drak and all who registered to the official forums and helped.

21oogef.png

lglz9.png

2pqntyu.png

2q3r9e9.png

2dmhus0.png

Shonen Wars v1.9d Changelog said:
System & Gameplay
==================
*New Ingame messages and timers changed slightly.
*New Song added: Code Geass R2 OST - The Master.
*Credits updated.
*Preview text updated.

Balance & Units
================
*Saboteurs are now slightly slower than Exorcists.

Fixes & Tooltips
================
*Mystogan Staff recipe tooltip fixed now.
*Attraction tooltip updated.

Items
======
*Right Hand Of RyStaR damage increased from +100 to +120.
*Right Hand Of Rystar will now drop when carrier dies.
*Vongola Sky Ring cost increased to 425g.
*Krory's Cloak is now listed in Blacksmith in all recipes.

Heroes
=======
*Shadow Shuriken damage nerfed slightly.

Visuals & Cosmetics
===================
*Loading screen slightly updated.

Terrain
========
*Few paths fixed up.

Keywords:
Anime, Shonen, Fairy Tail, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, FMA, FSN, AoS, D.Grayman, Naruto, Soul Eater, Bleach, fate/Stay night, HunterxHunter, shakugan no s
Contents

Shonen Wars v1.9d (Map)

Reviews
19:09, 15th Jul 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected Comment
Level 11
good to have reviews out of the map, and have feedback in overall. Would like to have some moderators :p rating it too... so it could get approved already..

@marsal; dunno about ishida, i don't see him much interesting. Overall in bleach characters, they lack lot of abilities, which makes them hard to make. Kisuke Urahara would be someone i wanna add, but i have to wait till he shows bankai.

Level 16
selee schneider (arrow an blade form)
sprenger
ginrej kojaku
Hirenkyaku
remove the gauntlets
the body buff skill used against the captain he first met
the combo used against that captain too after removing the gauntlets

lack of abilities?.... i don't think so ~.~

Level 11
selee schneider (arrow an blade form)
sprenger
ginrej kojaku
Hirenkyaku
remove the gauntlets
the body buff skill used against the captain he first met
the combo used against that captain too after removing the gauntlets

lack of abilities?.... i don't think so ~.~

i was referring every captain and Arrancar. Ishida/sado/ichigo are exceptions :p

Level 2
hey will there be any more characters added from other anime like claymore maybe Clare could work or more from D Gray Man like Levi or Kanda or maybe even Dante from Devil May Cry???

and some items that relate to soul eater would be cool :gg:

Level 11
hey will there be any more characters added from other anime like claymore maybe Clare could work or more from D Gray Man like Levi or Kanda or maybe even Dante from Devil May Cry???

and some items that relate to soul eater would be cool :gg:

Kanda and Lavi probably are coming on v2.0
Clare is also on my plans.
Dante isn't really originally from an anime so i think im not going add him very likely.
I Will add Kishins Dagger as weapon.

Level 2
Awesome already loooking forward to the next release...

Dante was just a suggestion cause he seemed like a easy hero to make... !o!

Anyway still enjoying the current version,great map

Level 1
@ Above : I'll take my time to review this map in the upcoming days. At any rate I promise a full, proper (non-biased) review. The map moderators are slightly busy right now.

Level 1
Much appreciated Kl3sk, looking forward to your review.

It will be done tomorrow. *stay tuned*

Edit : I am such a twat :\ ...I forgot that real life has those things called "responsibilities"... I'll have to postpone this another day. Rest assured : the review is on its way.

Last edited:
Level 1
Kl3sk Reviews : Shonen Wars
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version : 1.9d
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Type : Anime / AoS

Description : 3/5

It's a decent description, lacking that certain "something" that might make someone unfamiliar to the map or genre download and play it ; And to be honest, the screenshots do you no justice. Next time, try taking some live SS (in battle screen-shots, so to speak) because the terrain isn't exactly what I'd call spectacular. Also, you didn't make much use of the BB codes I see. Nevertheless : still a decent description.

In-Game Review

Terrain

Ouch, I'm not sure I can't be brutally honest with you on this one : The terrain...kinda sucks...badly...
Now don't get me wrong, it still might be approval-worthy (I am not a terrainer myself) but it's only slightly above average and just seems to pull the map itself back in 2008-2009 (Naruto Shinobi Wars era), if you know what I mean. Random doodads, some parts are themed , some are not, strangely placed shops and creep camps, no flow with paths and cliffs, and so on. It's a pity really... (3/5)

Models

I've got mixed messages here. For starters : the creeps / troops each side has together with the previously mentioned terrain issue seem to lessen the experience of the map. If you're going to name it "Shonen Wars" why make me feel like I'm playing any other random AoS ? Same goes for building models as well (the 2008-2009 syndrome bounces back again at this point)
Second off : Creep / Building models aside, the actual Hero models aren't that bad, if I do say so myself! Elric or Al from Full Metal Alchemist was particularly well executed, though his animations (attack, move) were quite poor indeed. And then there's Anko from Naruto : her model was too bright and stood out (in a bad way) and made playing with her feel "alien".
At any rate, custom models for heroes deserves a +, W3 models for buildings and creeps / troops get a -. (3/5)

Icons

Horrible. Plain horrible. 90% of all skills had no custom icons and again made that Naruto Shinobi Wars syndrome kick back in. I'm not saying custom icons are a must for ALL maps, but in this case, if you're trying to emulate the ANIME feeling into your map, you should at least make it look like you tried. As an "anime fan", I'd like to only take a look at my skill icon and instantly know what it does, without reading its description. It's that familiar feeling that makes the game take a step in the right direction and offers me a more in-depth experience. (i.e. : Battle Stadium Don)
Hopefully you understand at this point that I'm not trying to compare your map, but simply give suggestions and examples that might help you improve in future projects. (1/5)

Skills

So-and-so. Most skills and abilities are bland or sloppy and very few of them show interesting visuals or follow their descriptions fully. To be fair, I'll split them into two categories :

* Note : Being unable to remember every skill / ability's name, I will name them in skill-set order.

(Slightly) Right : Yoh Asakura's first skill makes me feel like I'm actually in an Anime map. Visually, it follows the Shaman King's original appearance with the "furyoku" energy engulfing the sword. I also like the bar indicating how long the ability will last (useful) . Sure the effect (a simple damage bonus) is dull , but at least you made me forget about that through eye-candy.

Mitarashi Anko's Ultimate (Twin Snakes Mutual Death was it?) , wasn't exactly spectacular , both in visuals and effects, but it seemed like a custom skill that I haven't seen before in other Anime maps. It didn't bug / glitch and it did exactly what the descriptions said it will. (Deals "X" damage to the target and a portion to Anko)
Decent, works and I hope my mind isn't playing tricks on me, but Anko also had the most custom icons out of all the heroes I've played ; three to be exact.

(Horribly) Wrong : Yoh Asakura's third skill is...just disappointing '_' ... I know this is an AoS (in theory), but why on Earth would you take DotA elements inside and mask them so shamelessly ? Yoh's third skill is Nevermore's passive (Presence of the Dark Lord) to an almost exact match. The only thing you did was change the icon (with a random W3 Golem one) and slightly, but only slightly altered its description to fit Yoh / Shaman King. No uniqueness, no originality, no creativity, no work. Congrats!

Alphonse Elric's Ultimate , probably named "Philosopher's Stone" or something of the sort, was, yet again, disappointing. Flash-back to DotA's Thinker hero and his ultimate "Rearm" : same story with the above example. This time, you decided to be "original" and add a cool-down to it, but really now, the only person you're fooling is yourself. And that's just sad.

* I hope I gave enough examples and details to justify my rating for this section. In all fairness, for every executed / custom skill, there are 3 or more examples of the other.(1/5)

Misc

I think I'll mention how annoyed I was for having to scout the whole map to find the "Smuggler". Is it that hard to place a shop icon on the mini-map ?...right. As for the items, I do have to agree around 50% of them have either custom icons or custom abilities / effects but not both, just one or the other. What I found troubling is the fact some items say "Attack speed does not stack" or "X" effect does not stack. While that's okay for orb effects I really don't see why you decided to limit stat boosting. Then there are the creep camps / quests that you'll have to rethink / remove due to (in my opinion) simply distracting the player from their main goal. This is an AoS, not an RPG. There are other issues I shall address in the In-Game section of this review, so that's it for now. (2/5)

Game-Play

As I mentioned one too many times already, custom hero (anime) models and a few themed items an Anime map does not make. But let's skip that and go for the broader sense of an "AoS" , shall we ?

- Does it have lanes on which each individual hero or hero groups can evolve, grow, etc. ? Yes (Three to be exact ; "The norm")

- Does it have a variety of heroes to choose from ? < This is relative. But I'm gonna go for Yes here.

- Does it have a variety of items to purchase / combine ? Yes (There's a plentiful amount of items, some vary in originality and / or balance)

- Are there two distinct factions that share a similar, yet opposite goal ? I'm gonna go for No simply because this map has a certain ambiguity when it comes to the typical "Good vs. Evil" routine that is usually respected among all AoS'. Same creeps and same structures to destroy make for quite a boring experience over-all.

So it fails as an Anime map and doesn't fully apply as an AoS either, but the replay value is further diminished not only by the factors stated above, but even by what would totally ruin the experience altogether : glitches . I'm going to ask each and everyone of you to download the map and pick Yoh Asakura, level him up to 6 and try to use his Ultimate. (it's frankly too hard for me to describe how hard this skill fails) - There are also minor bugs such as why you can target a neutral unit with an AoE spell , yet for some reason that target takes no damage, etc.

There are so many things I would like to talk about , but at the same time I have to wrap this up since I've been going at it for some time now. I'm going to end this part with some suggestions.

(1 : Improve the terrain for God's sake. It's not sexually assaulting my eyes, but it's pretty damn close.

(2 : Fix bugs / glitches.

(3 : Add custom skill icons.

(4 : Revamp most skills (you know what I'm talking about)

(5 : Take anything but orb / buff restrictions off items. You're limiting the fun, nothing else.

(6 : Improve item / skill descriptions. Clearly English is not your first language, but even so : do try to improve your grammar and over-all wording.

(7 : Replace same creep / buildings in factions I can now distinguish by any means except color.

(8 : Remove Quests ; instead focus on periodic events that might make things more interesting (your average duel system + some creativity will surely spice things up a bit)

(9 : Remove Critters ; They have absolutely no beneficial role in this map.

(10 : Word of advice - No map is what you called "Final" or finished. The custom loading screen faced me with a dilemma from the start : "Does the author really think his / her map is flawless to the point there are no improvements to be made?" . I honestly suggest you delay your future project (no spoiler) and focus on creating a better version of Shonen Wars.

With that ^ said :

Do I recommend Anime fans to play this : Yes - I've seen Anime maps that would f*ck-up completely. This is not one of those maps. It's obvious it lacks a lot as an Anime map and even as an AoS, but it is by no means a failure.

Do I recommend non-Anime fans to play this ? : No - It simply does not have enough content and isn't that well executed for your average hard-core AoS or non-genre related W3 player. It's a nice map to try, but that's about it.

Will I play this map again : Yes / No - Undecided. I might have to in case it will be updated. But if the author continues stating this map is complete, the answer would be No.

Final verdict : No matter how much I dislike complaining, I have to point out this map has so much potential if only a lot of work and a little bit of polish would go into it. It's sad authors get carried away with other projects and leave diamonds lying in dirt. This may very well be one of those cases. Nevertheless, the verdict is based on reality, not potential. The reality is : this map cannot possibly be approved at this stage.

Rejected (until updated) (2/5)

Foot-note* : I personally apologize for the late review, but as I mentioned a few days ago , real life was knocking at my door and I had to answer. If you have any questions about my reviews, or things I might have neglected, please PM me.

Level 11
Thanks

I was expecting shorter review but i'm glad you took your time and gave me lots of feedback, Kl3sk this was much appreciated. Though i'm disagreeing in the part of where you did say there is no custom icons in the map, so i took image out of all BTN icons, left out few passives too. I think thats pretty much enough for custom icons really.

11tym1s.png

Yeah i do agree with you pretty much own most points, the yoh's ultimate issue is because of map height is glitched (Due map originally made with Map Editor Unlimited, which bugs like hell), this glitch can't be removed, so its major issue on circle type of spells.

Well when you add cooldown refresher to your map your instantly criticized by using dota concept, i don't think thats quite fair. The Ability itself represents really much as it is on anime which i'm trying to stay true to.

i hope you can review my other project too which is soon finished, if you have time. Thanks again for great feedback :)

Level 1
I was expecting shorter review but i'm glad you took your time and gave me lots of feedback, Kl3sk this was much appreciated. Though i'm disagreeing in the part of where you did say there is no custom icons in the map, so i took image out of all BTN icons, left out few passives too. I think thats pretty much enough for custom icons really.

11tym1s.png

Yeah i do agree with you pretty much own most points, the yoh's ultimate issue is because of map height is glitched (Due map originally made with Map Editor Unlimited, which bugs like hell), this glitch can't be removed, so its major issue on circle type of spells.

Well when you add cooldown refresher to your map your instantly criticized by using dota concept, i don't think thats quite fair. The Ability itself represents really much as it is on anime which i'm trying to stay true to.

i hope you can review my other project too which is soon finished, if you have time. Thanks again for great feedback :)

Not to burst your bubble, but I was clearly talking about Spell / Ability icons when I said that (quote) "90% of them don't have any custom icons". Meaning, I noticed most items where either Naruto, Soul Eater, Bleach, etc. etc. themed and had their own characteristics. Let me give you examples of what I meant : Elric, Yoh, Anko, most other less mainstream anime characters as well : very few icons to match their skills. In addition : I'd prefer the items be monotone and deprived of icons, if they'd follow the anime they're used in, and have all custom icons on every Hero and their abilities, because, in truth, the map is about the Heroes, the antagonists, etc. ; Secondly : you yourself gave the answer to this one : "Well when you add cooldown refresher to your map your instantly criticized by using dota concept" = criticized <-- the key word to your statement. I did not compare DotA with Shonen Wars, but pointed out obvious similarities that seemed to suggest lazy map-making, because (let's be serious) , would it have killed you to think of a different ability ? Or make your own ? Or even import one from other maps and credit ? Hell, where I stand, the only thing it took for you to make "Philosopher's Stone" unique, was to add the "seal" on the ground (alchemist symbols, geometric figures, etc.) and animate Elric to place his hands on the ground while activating it. Now tell me...is that so hard to do ? Oh course, this might be just me, correct me if I'm wrong.

If there's anything else you might want to point out, I'll re-review this map on demand.

Level 11
Not to burst your bubble, but I was clearly talking about Spell / Ability icons when I said that (quote) "90% of them don't have any custom icons". Meaning, I noticed most items where either Naruto, Soul Eater, Bleach, etc. etc. themed and had their own characteristics. Let me give you examples of what I meant : Elric, Yoh, Anko, most other less mainstream anime characters as well : very few icons to match their skills. In addition : I'd prefer the items be monotone and deprived of icons, if they'd follow the anime they're used in, and have all custom icons on every Hero and their abilities, because, in truth, the map is about the Heroes, the antagonists, etc. ; Secondly : you yourself gave the answer to this one : "Well when you add cooldown refresher to your map your instantly criticized by using dota concept" = criticized <-- the key word to your statement. I did not compare DotA with Shonen Wars, but pointed out obvious similarities that seemed to suggest lazy map-making, because (let's be serious) , would it have killed you to think of a different ability ? Or make your own ? Or even import one from other maps and credit ? Hell, where I stand, the only thing it took for you to make "Philosopher's Stone" unique, was to add the "seal" on the ground (alchemist symbols, geometric figures, etc.) and animate Elric to place his hands on the ground while activating it. Now tell me...is that so hard to do ? Oh course, this might be just me, correct me if I'm wrong.

If there's anything else you might want to point out, I'll re-review this map on demand.

Okay, i understand, i will contact you when i need to :).