• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Solo Mapping Competition #3 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entries! (Multiple choice)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
the%20hive%20workshop.png

vgrgon.jpg

mapping.png
competition.png
number.png
3.png

poll.png

"... one who dwells these ruins should know, danger that lies ahead should not be underestimated"

entries.png

The lost treasureMarcelo Hossomi

ArcadiaDe.Facto

The lost Temple Amigurumi

City Under Siege w3mapmaker

Lumen Ardnived

Cave of Forgetting Equal

Quest for the Lost Temple Xiliger

Lead the Story - Gem of Life VergilThazaar

Tear of Gabriel Kingz

Leraux Softmints

Dracion X-OMG-X

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
My votes are on Lead the Story: Gem of Life (by VergilThazaar) and The Lost Temple (by Amigurumi). Reasons for this can be found on page 105 and 107 of the original contest thread.
May the best map win.

PS: Multiple choice polls sound like a bad idea, but let's see how things work out.

Level 23
I voted for Amigurumi's entry "the lost Temple" because it convinced me with a great combination of awesome terrains, hard puzzles, decent but well used imports, creative ideas, and amzing cinematics!
But nevertheless all other entries were very good to. It's just, Amigurumi's entry stuck out a little ;-)
I don't want to say there was a really bad map in it because all made their entries with a huge effort! Nice work, too all contestants!
Hope you all will still keep working on your maps, to reach a perfect result, even if the contest is over!

Level 21
The full package:

Introduction:

Hi to the great Hive fellowship!
Interesting competition indeed! I feel invited to give every contestant a fully detailed feedback. About me: I am interested in editing and modifying stuff (maps, sound, concepts, lore) for years now, which began with starcraft. I've been following the progress and development of maps, tools and models etc. over time and i think that the whole scene got really sophisticated, fortunately (first sponsored maps by blizzard, like war chasers, or early dota versions, TDs and RPGs like Juliens for example, were fine, but not satisfying for me. That's why i played mostly ladder and custom games, but not maps back then).

Before: If there is anything, anywhere unclear please let me know. If i got something wrong, or didn't notice important stuff i would gladly appreciate your feedback (the one criticizing should be able to take criticism aswell)!

Reviews:

In given order.

How i experienced the map:

Okay, treasure hunting should be fun, so here i come! But oh... found two typos in the loading screen directly (misteries, rightly: mysteries and analize, rightly: analyze, or analyse) and several more during the map, which i won't mention one by one of course. I just want to advise any autor, or map maker to take care of them for future projects (they can be avoided easily to be honest, hint: dictionary). Typos distract players from playing, even if it only happens briefly it feels like a glitch... An explanation: I tried to ignore them mostly, but as you should know a functional brain has to solve problems and analyses things and when we see words we automatically read them, like a scanner. So when there are words which do not fit, we will try to make them fit, coherent, harmonic, balanced... well you get my point. Back to topic: The lost treasure had no intro and i missed unique music. That made it hard to get a feel for the theme and create atmosphere early on, i just used the original Warcraft III music, which suited well. The circles of power worked out fine, a creative idea indeed, but it spoils way finding and exploring. The combination of items went fluid and logic, but also too easy and nothing inventive, just running from point A to B. I missed real riddles and much more lore which could have embraced the player (creating atmosphere, authenticity and depth), but at least the final of the map had a surprising and somewhat original message. Just consider how you came this far, being manipulated by greedy motivation. This, i guess, should also be interpreted as a general warning.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 15/30
Unique Ideas: 13/20
Defined Artistic Style: 15/20
Lore: 5/10
Gameplay: 12/20

Summary: 60/100

Bonus: An average playtime of 30-60 minutes is hard at the frontiers of the contest rules. I'm anyway adding the 5 point bonus for an unexpected and original ending, the logic riddles as well as a fluid and flawless gameplay.

Overall: 65/100

Last words:

I just rushed through the map and so i felt it was over quite soon, considering the void of content (lore, better riddles), even for a recommend gametime of one hour. Also custom doodads would've worked out better, default models are just out of date and the map maker hasn't used them in a creative way mostly (i think the spectral world looked best).

(Miscellaneous: That dagger kill was mean and evil!^^ I missed froggies comeback somewhere, somehow. Not much to mention at the moment.)

Onwards to Arcadia! And before: De.Facto has also created an unique logo, something i want to mention already, because most maps don't have a complete package like that, which indeed consists of an designed surface... But where was i, let's start the map. Now that was an embracing atmosphere and unique plot, playing as a naked, rough and free spirit =). The musical theme fitted perfectly, had a rhythmic and soft touch just like you would've expected it in a meta-level designed "world". Outstanding terraining, refreshing and groundbreaking the same time, really. And highly spaced out, colorful, but yet ensuring enough contrast to create harmony and beauty. A small strange thing i mentioned was the sound of the spirits respondings, i guess he forgot to mute it, because what i heared was an ancient tree protector xD... I've just put unit responses off to fix it, of course. Quote: "The squeeky wheel gets the oil", thats humor, sense and pragmatism in one, great motto (;. Gunpreet with godly armor, ah well a godly dog? Great poetry as well as philosophy overall in the map, hidden everywhere, you just have to read a bit and begin to understand. It was really sophisticated, not for players who avoid reading, or deny a deeper thought. I found typos rarely, made it easy to enjoy the theme, in this case even relaxing. Shout out to the Easter egg Falcon ;>! That has been out of concept, but makes sense in a sci-fi way. And hell, that was a sight, when you've rebuilt the dynamic of the meta-level... There were many little aspects, which created a depth there, like in the temple of correspondence, pay attention at the chessboard ground! Makes it definitely a complete and well designed package. The cams were buggy sometimes, which didn't hurt that much, because it was easy to re-lock the camera angle (just move a bit back). Too bad the state of matter riddle had a suddenly ripped off F9 info text (and btw, i seriously don't know how to solve it without a dictionary or google). As i came this far i've been missing more interactions, dialogues with other spirits, maybe an enlightened source talking to you, giving tips, hints, charmingly. That would've made it deeper, without stetching it too much (concerning game length). There are a lot of foreign words, maybe too much. Had to use a dictionary from time to time (like i stated before), which isn't really a bad thing to be honest. The final came sudden and unexpected, maybe a tribute to our life, which could also end unexpected... Everything is in sensitive vibratory motion, so it might only take a tiny hit over the rhythmic measure to disconnect one from an once harmonic framework. Anyhow, this ending felt melancholic and a bit too sudden, not satisfying. I am now also curious about the crow. What did it have to do with this map and the four fire places? Symbolism, four golems, four fires? Still this strange crow there, hm. I fear interpretations would become too speculative here.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 25/30
Unique Ideas: 17/20
Defined Artistic Style: 20/20
Lore: 9/10
Gameplay: 14/20

Summary: 85/100

Bonus: I could add or subtract some points. Adding, because of the absolutely outstanding uniqueness of the meta area, or subtracting, because of the sudden end, which feels out of place and weird. So, refering to the map content, i let it balance out itself ;).

Overall: 85/100

Last words:

I guess everything that came to my mind playing this "true" and classic adventure map has been said. No traps here, only combinations, riddles and a lot of mystery combining with deep, philosophical lore, which has sadly not been made as much relevant as it could've been, but that's fine for me, because i like to put things together on my own. The defined artistic style and the creative level design are the main power here, i guess this won't be beaten soon... Some great unique riddles, nicely set made me truly enjoy the meta level. Gameplay has been fluid, with accents on the riddles (the right spot to make the player think and slow down!), but not as creative as the rest, mostly running around, not enough to experience here to be cutting edge. I guess this map would easily win the competition if De.Facto would've vary the gameplay a little more.

(Miscellaneous: All rocky dudes are called Jai Narayan, like the former spirit? I guess the map maker simply forgot it, but it's only a tiny piece again. Furthermore: The unique interface modification fits the rocky Arcadia, but not the meta-level, for my taste. Then the hero selection button in the top left of the screen, but only on Arcadia, shows a nightelf Warden? - Hmmm... The positive vibrations (it looks like it was made for healing once, in an early stage of the map maybe) have no use overall, because you can't lose healthpoints. The golem shape in the meta-level, which is stored behind an energetic barrier in the end, is almost impossible to set free, because it is hard to find the right spot to interact with. Gold, wood and food are still there, but again that's for perfectionism.)

Going on with my reviews, now i'm going to the lost Temple! First things first, the intro was okay, just more typos and funny grammer (these made the literature in the whole map unaesthetic). The scenes of the introduction did not connect well, felt a little random and sudden. Had to restart the map three times in a row then, because something bugged with the first combination riddle, not a big thing really, but bugs this early on might scare people easily away. Music anyhow fitted well here and created a mysterious atmosphere. For the next riddle Amigurumi should've mentioned to use different camera angles via F9, bah! Was entertaining to find the last book tho. Next riddle, fourth restart... it's not good that you can drop important items, well it's rather the system and the doodads, because you might not be able to pick them back up if you place them at a hardly reachable spot. Fifth restart... thought this map would have a big bug, that would stop progress at the room with the four pedestals (i contacted Amigurumi to get a hint, got pretty easy then and yet again Amigurumi should've added some hints and basic gameplay instructions to F9). Fortunately i've been able to go on from there now, because i've enjoyed the map so far. The sewers began with a great eerie musical theme, nice work! The idea for the ghosts was quite unique too, joyful playing from there. The evil sign riddles were creative, nice implementation of lore here (These question can only be answered if the player has read the books in the library before). Colourful use of lightsources throughout the whole map, looks a bit flashy. Next restart, number 6. The issue was, that i died on purpose in the 5 pedestal room, to check if this would trigger something useful. Not even the respawn triggered... too bad. I finished the map with the next restart whatsoever, extremely laggy in the end, check triggers for memory leaks is a must have.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 23/30
Unique Ideas: 17/20
Defined Artistic Style: 16/20
Lore: 7/10
Gameplay: 17/20

Summary: 80/100

Bonus: Map makers should always get rid of unnecessary bugs by testing their maps completely and patiently... To restart over and over again got quite frustrating. Won't add or subtract points, because pros and contra balance out.

Overall: 80/100

Last words:

The custom models were used moderately. And last but not least: A simple patch would fix the randomness here... Reworking triggers would be nice too. The ending has been disappointing for me, because i couldn't act with all this lag. Anyhow great level design, implementation of unique ideas and use of gameplay nuances.

(Miscellaneous: Nice concept with the different orbs. Adding a basic tutorial to F9 would be great.)

Heading to the besieged city now! A suspicious lord named Maldazzar is about to make the city and land his own? Well, let's stop him i guess! Good use of default models overall and really well placed Easter eggs in the beginning! Had fun with those two... too bad this ended so fast :/. The Arena quest was okay, nothing special, but also not as boring as i expected it to be (thanks to your two in one hero invention). The level design is really straigt and symmetric, it's by far not creative, but offers a very fluent gameplay. It's impossible to get lost, or think about your next step without riddles, or multiple choices... it became one-sided very fast. I felt like i would just finish the map, nothing to wonder about, neither mystery, nor traps. Again i experimented with the two in one hero invention, which is a cool idea making it possible to have efficient, alterable combinations for every situation, whenever you want it (i prefered panda with frost armor and a dreadlord with vampirism and sleep backed by a healing troll, who is also able to hex unpleasent guests... The mountain king, or bloodmage made it all work out). So a shout out to this simple, but unique and efficient gameplay invention =)! Rest of the gameplay has been too repetitive and boring. No real highlights and the final fight was way too easy, to be honest extremely unsatisfying for a final boss... Haven't found a single bug tho and of course there are none, because the map maker used default items only, as well as default heroes and abilities. No wondering here.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 5/30
Unique Ideas: 5/20
Lore: 1/10
Gameplay: 10/20

Summary: 36/100

5 bonus points for the inventive idea of the 2 in 1 heroes and a flawless gameplay.

Overall: 41/100

Last words:

The map took long to finish, because of the long walking or sailing routes, which i already cut short with the fountains ability. The arena fights lacked creativity, nothing mysterious can be found, nothing challenging aswell. The style is just a solid and default blizzardish one, which has been put out well tho. Just too strict and obviously designed so that the city does not feel authentic or "natural". The lore is a heavy downpoint, because it can't get more simple and uninteresting.

(Miscellaneous: No traps, no riddles, no mystery, also not interior... almost no atmosphere, did this map even fit this competition in any way? Uhm... judges decide.)

And as god spoke: "Let there be Lumen." i've sensed a moody intro, with a rainy scenery and fitting music. Great work here! Ended suddenly, which has been a problem in most projects (3-5 min intro should be a must have to create atmosphere and lore as well as mystery, if you ask me). It's not really embracing, or inviting the player, feels more like a fast-food-dish. I then started to descend into the mountain. And there were bugs... Cam bugs already and also some cliffs were pathable, which looked really weird xD... but one can easily avoid it of course. Music didn't loop on, just stopped and that didn't feel like a complete package anymore (lack of atmosphere). The terrain was natural and fits well, great work with some custom models in this moody and big cave. But without music this feeling gets castrated :/. Fighting becomes boring pretty fast, usual hack an slay stuff (parry could've been used more crucial for example). The Water riddle F9 infomation was empty, also way too easy. Cambugs increased drastically at Sapphire Tower so i couldn't proceed. I tried to adjust the angles, clicked on different spots on the ground... nothing helped. Too bad it ended there, because i've just found two journals and Ardnived did a great job implementing them in this unique way. Would like to find out more, but sadly i am hindered by these unnecessary bugs ;/...

Numeric conclusion:

Unique Ideas: 14/20
Defined Artistic Style: 19/20
Lore: 6/10
Gameplay: 15/20

Summary: 79/100

Bonus: 30-60 minutes of average playtime is just enough, but unsatisfying this short. A bigger problem are the unnecessary bugs, which fool the experience as well as a a missing musical theme make me subtract 5 points.

Overall: 74/100

Last words:

The way through is quite linear, but i felt that it fits. There are some paths to choose from, not much, but it's okay. It definitely has visual atomsphere, but lacks acustic diversity (that mourning sound all the time gets annoying), especially music. To hack and slay through was not really satisfying for me, i guess i've played too much games of this genre already. I missed unique ideads for the combat here, like i mentioned before. The style is overall harmonic and fitting and the use of custom models is remarkable. It feels mysterious and charming. Lore has been created with the journal, in a personal and embracing way, too bad that i couldn't enjoy more of it. Gameplay was too ordinary, nothing challenging, or really creative, but it went fluid and unproblematic however. It's a tragedy, that Lumen suffers from such obvious bugs... My advise would be to patch it and alter the combat system, which shouldn't be too much work.

(Miscellaneous: Refering to the contest rules Lumen would get disqualified, but that depends on the judges decision. And to be honest, i would really dislike to see this getting disqualified. Ardnived obviously spent tons of time to get it this far and that alone should be honored.)

The Cave of Forgetting, one can already imagine what the plot and scenery looks like. Nevertheless, next review: Typos, typos again typos, why... (map was full of them)! Cool loading screen, looks okay. The beginning is hm, well it didn't create an eerie atmosphere or something like that, instead i've just been ordered to kill a wolf without a decent background sadly. And the music... why choosing the morrowind theme? It didn't fit the scenery. Cool mission for the prisoner, that's been quite creative. The first town of S'hymali felt okay, terrain has been created in a moderate way mostly, default cliffs just look terrible... Gambling and the idea with the bank, well okay, nice option. This lava bridge, implemented as an obstacle run has been fucking hard, because i had to do it with like 5 fps. That was a big downside, because there is no need to spam so much firespawns to make the obstacle harder (a thing one could learn from other escape maps, survival maps). I laughed at the turtle chase xD, funny highlight in this map. Pretty hard part with the roots. Didn't like the rest much from here. The ending came sudden again and typos and bad grammar made it more funny than interesting (the usual greedy boss :/, not creative or inventive). Had its good times and bad times, pretty moderate.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 10/30
Defined Artistic Style: 12/20
Gameplay: 8/20

Summary: 48/100

Bonus: This map took too long (average playtime 2-4 hours) and might become boring fast. The charakter moves slowly and the routes are long. Therefore i won't give extra points, or subtract any.

Overall: 48/100

Last words:

So in the end there is not much to say. The monuments were pretty cool, offering regen and stuff in exchange for a correct answered riddle. Rest of the challenges felt sometimes random, also if you concern how the map has been built. A linear way, where level to level connect in a pretty obvious way. Custom models were used in a decent way anyhow. So yeah, moderate map.

(Miscellaneous: Mining took much time, didn't like it that way. Combination of items was a good idea, but didn't feel important enough. Music looping seemed to be buggy? Also: morrowind doesn't really fit here.)

Onwards to the Quest for the lost Temple. No intro again, begins with typos and has no fresh and convenient music. So no atmosphere has been created, i just played Mina the Wizard. First riddles were pretty easy, that's okay. The levitate system is unique and feels refreshing, but hasn't been implemented for finding easter eggs and such additional qualities. It gets boring and repetetive pretty fast this way. Bosses have been way too easy (no need for the respawn whatsoever...). One trap makes you RUN! which has been a short piece of joy. Terrain looks pretty weird and cluttered with stuff that has no relevance. Furthermore the Quest for the lost Temple has ended way too fast, with no special or even somewhat entertaining final.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 8/30
Unique Ideas: 9/20
Defined Artistic Style: 8/20
Gameplay: 8/20

Summary: 34/100

Bonus: 15-30 mins of average playtime is really not enough. Would have to decrease it by 5 at least. Nonetheless there are no bugs and the Quest for the lost Temple has a flawless gameplay and systems so i won't subtract points, also concerning the unique levitation ability.

Overall: 34/100

Last words:

Gameplay was fluid without bugs, but nothing inventive, besides the levitate ability. Lore? nope. There is almost no artistic style to be experienced, sadly, just some buildings of custom models and several side- stuff. The level design has been way too linear and obvious, because of the minimap. Hm well even without it, no optional paths, no eastereggs, no interesting details. Obvious lack of content here...

(Miscellaneous: Could've been better easily, the final is pretty disappointing :/. Refering to the contest rules it would get disqualified, but that depends on the judges decision.)

Right into the map i got caught by it's funky custom music, which didn't fit the medieval theme, but appealed refreshingly. F9 informations were, yeah, informative and interesting, good intro also, before i forget that! Several options to interact made it really dynamic here, i just wanted to use everything, everywhere and that's great, because mysterious adventures should work like that (it might happen that you get amazed by unique combinations of environment, items and interactions, great experience). Glorious start, good implementation of traps also. And then a critical error occured, i just restarted and put 3D sound effect emulation off. Another one (3D effects activated again, somehow), but after that i could play on without interruptions. Music got even better, excellent taste, makes it fun to play. First riddles were nicely set and not too easy. The house has been structured and modelled pretty nice, the tunnels, to be honest, looked really bad. Most Eastereggs can be discovered easily, but it's always nice to have some. And yet again it ended suddenly. I've played 25 minutes and i guess i've found everything. A tragedy that it ended this fast :/... Played it again, a little bit faster, but i didn't discover more stuff, didn't feel satisfying.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 15/30
Unique Ideas: 18/20
Gameplay: 18/20

Summary: 71/100

Bonus: With an average playtime of 30-60 minutes (also considering replayability) this map is hard at the frontiers of the contest rule. Something that should change! I will add 5 points for the excellent interaction and flawless gameplay.

Overall: 76/100

Last words:

Great music and interesting plot, with charming mysterious elements (the praying and demonology) made me enjoy this short piece of art and hunger for more. The gameplay was short but an innovative experience, this is definitely the highlight in The gem of Life. Lore can be found averagely, would like to experience more (and i guess VergilThazar will continue this map, fortunately, because there are still two paths left to go at the beginning). Didn't find much artistic designing here, big downside are the tunnels for my taste. There has been a lack of atmosphere and moody cave scenery. Unique ideas are another highlight without doubt. The slippery edge system for example is a cool idea, but has sadly not been implemented relevant enough.

(Miscellaneous: Put off 3D sound emulation to get rid of the critical errors that might occur. Another music set would maybe fit better. Except for the last track, which had a soft and atmospheric touch.)

So i went to start the map, but where is it? Found "Just another warcraft III map" huh? Funny that Kingz forgot to name his own map xD... Not a big deal anyhow. First things that had my attention, were the loading screen, looked washy, which should be revised and the prologue. There are some typos and bad grammar. So getting started i wanted to play the Demi Mage, but unfortunately the selection trigger seems to be buggy. Tried archer then and got killed by the fifth enemy i engaged, felt unbalanced. Had to pick the troll warrior then... another melee hero hacking his way through eerie catacombs. No custom music, rawr, why not? Original warcraft music didn't fit one bit honestly. Furthermore it's pretty hard to click the book for an information (f9) and i guess some people will wonder what to do without an introduction. Terrain looked cool, nicely set there. Fighting got boring fast and it seems like it has not been balanced out much (how to heal?). The hook object made me laugh, because it can be controlled by the player and answers with the human peasants voice. Guess it's another bug, because it looks like a shooting range for bows to trigger something... First riddle: The library seemed to be buggy aswell. F9 texts duplicated and skeletons could be summoned endlessly (i trained to level 3 this way before i continued). I somehow solved the riddle without having all informations i would normally need and went on. Next riddles were okay and fitted the scenery (sacrifices especially). Several cam bugs in the big cathedral occured, wasn't enjoyable. As i solved the riddle next to the diabolist and his two friends it seemed to have no effect, so that my journey ended there. It felt incomplete, nothing less or more. Have been playing for around 40 minutes, but couldn't finish the map...

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 20/30
Defined Artistic Style: 18/20
Gameplay: 13/20

Summary: 70/100

Bonus: I guess the recommended playtime has been closely reached. Due to massive bugs, which hinder progress and imbalances, i will have to subtract 5 points.

Overall: 65/100

Last words:

Strong definition of a unique style with good but buggy lore (typos, grammar, triggerwork) are the highlights in Tear of Gabriel. The level design is decent, as well as some unique riddle ideas (sacrifical altar, library). Gameplay would be fluid and modest without bugs. The scenery is moody and has been nicely set to embrace the adventurous player, inviting him to venture deeper into the gothic touched catacombs. No custom music makes it hard to enhance the visual atmosphere, feels incomplete. At last i didn't found anything really outstanding and creative here.

(Miscellaneous: Kingz should get rid of all these bugs and imbalances, because its potential is quite high. With some highlights, fighting and lore, this could become a nice piece of art.)

Leraux, that sounds interesting, don't know what it means, but let's play it now: "The King has noose(news) for you", Bogrull the ogre said xD. Great black humor in this introduction here. As i could navigate Marla the custom music set in, well fitting. Interface has been ripped off brutally to make the screen even darker. First scene was really funny and enjoyable, great interactions and logic progression (shout out on the dialogues!). The rune riddle was creative and hard to solve, great job. The dark terrain is a handicap, makes the runes very hard to see at some points. Most riddles have been hard due to the strange cross-linking between the levers and combinations with items. Terrain looks well... can't see much, what i see fits the theme. Great use of music, the player will feel alone with his tasks and riddles in the tomb, this really made me think and feel the isolation.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 23/30
Unique Ideas: 18/20
Defined Artistic Style: 16/20
Lore: 7/10

Bonus: An average playtime of 90-150 minutes, perfect. But it felt heavily stretched with the repetetive solving of riddles. Won't add or subtract points, because pro and contra balance out.

Overall: 79/100

Last words:

Decent level design in a moody cave with dark atmosphere and spare light sources and not many ways to go. Oh and mushrooms seemed to enjoy a central content in this map, terrain- and riddlewise. Unique ideas? Tons, from interactions to riddles to scenery (nice default doodad work), yeah and dialogues. Too bad it's so dark, couldn't really see much of the terrain. Leraux convinces with a believable plot, which has been structured nicely. Gameplay went fluid and logic, mostly. The beginning is remarkable, the rest has been developed qualitative.

(Miscellaneous: Softmints should've mentioned, that it might be crucial to use different camera angles with paste and delete buttons. Evil ending by the way! Hardest map in this contest, in a way which i did not like that much.)

Dracion? Dracion! A map dealing with, or about dragons? Yeah, maybe... As i heard the music, i knew this would get interesting, because hell did it NOT fit any adventurous scenery. A prologue full of typos and bad grammar, not a good start with aesthetics and creation of atmosphere... I've played both difficulty levels, standard and extreme, to experience the whole package. I must admit that the custom interface fitted the scenery, which isn't top notch, but feels harmonic. Spotted a flaw already, after level 0 there are 4 abilities to choose from. I just chose "not available yet" and received NO ability, not even one from the other three. So you better don't click it... For the love of god, what did X-OMG-X think by implementing this 3x3 puzzle task after lvl 1 in such a lame way? Bah... Okay level 4 has been pretty much the same like the 3x3 puzzle step level, except for the difference, that the player this time has to waste even more time by solving a 4x4 square puzzle -.-! Sorry, but i won't do this. That's a task for someone who needs to become rehabilitated. It makes absolutely no fun, has no creativity or anything interesting. Big downside implementing something like that... (i opened Dracion in the editor to find solution, yeah really). Rest of the map went on like that, can't be arsed to give details on everything, because it's just the same over and over again, sorry.

Numeric conclusion:

Creative Level Design: 10/30
Unique Ideas: 10/20
Defined Artistic Style: 9/20
Gameplay: 5/20

Summary: 35/100

Bonus: The use of custom models has been okay. Didn't find bugs. Won't add or subtract points, because there has been nothing unique.

Overall: 35/100

Last words:

Terrain has been implemented in a boring way, everything looks the same. Not a clever abuse of custom models. Riddles have been too easy mostly, sometimes pretty random. However the traps worked out pretty good, but got repetetive like the gameplay.

(Miscellaneous: The music killed the last bit of atmosphere. Doesn't fit at all. Big downside with the 4x4 square riddle, seriously.)

Ranking:

Descending.

De.Facto - Arcadia - Rise and Fall: 85 (Brilliant, innovative, uncommon, might take time to get a grip and feeling for it, recommended for sophisticated people, no traps, almost flawless)

Amigurumi - The lost Temple: 80 (Quite entertaining, bit random, traps, everything can be found in a qualitative way, flashy and moody scenery, might make you restart it several times)

Softmints - Leraux: 79 (Funky dialogues and unique, sophisticated riddles, darkness, no traps)

VergilThazar - Lead the Story - Gem of Life: 76 (Great interactions with the environment, refreshing gameplay, cool music, might be over too fast, traps, almost flawless)

Ardnived - Lumen: 74 (Moody atmosphere and great introduction, no traps, moderate gameplay, easy riddles, great journal system, can't be finished due to some crucial bugs)

Kingz - Tear of Gabriel: 65 (Another moody cave setting, boring combat, unique riddles with many flaws, can't be finished due to some crucial bugs)

Marcelo Hossomi - The lost Treasure: 65 (Like completely moderate, traps, no real highlights except for the outro and spectral world)

Equal - Cave of Forgetting: 48 (Overall moderate, traps, item combinations, linear progression of tasks and riddles, very long, randomness)

w3mapmaker - City under Siege: 41 (Did not even meet ONE of the contest topics [traps, interior, riddles, mystery], flawless, pure hack and slay)

Xiliger - Quest for the lost Temple: 35 (Uncreative progression of tasks and riddle combinations, quite linear, too short, randomness, traps, almost flawless)

X-OMG-X - Dracion: 35 (Boring riddles, as linear as it can get, traps)

Thanks for your patient reading! Interesting maps have been made with lifeblood here and that's what i want to honor. I also learned a lot of things, which i am thankful for (reviewing really connects you with the map, the art behind it and the work which has been done, like with a picture and the one who has been painting it).

Out!

Last edited:
Level 35
Ah great the poll is up.

Going to take my time testing all the maps and then vote - Hopefully I can solve enough to do them justice.

Think I would have avoided a multi-poll in this situation since the only real benefit is for the first place, but oh well.

Some very good reviews from A]mun btw - Only odd thing is that A]mun and De.Facto is in a project together which makes me a bit "suspicious" of that review- But heck I'll see after I tested it myself, so this was more of a comment.

Level 21
@ Red Baron:

Yeah, i expected that someone would come up with that sooner or later. Problem for me is, that there is no way to prove that i haven't been manipulated by De.Facto to vote him as the winner. I can just advise everyone to read my reviews and realise for their own, that i have tried to be as fair and objective as possible. Also: Arcadia is very special and sophisticated, that's something i definitely like, because it makes the project a lot deeper and the players can truly learn something. See, i would lie to myself, if i wouldn't honor his work based on these concerns. Also: I only count as one vote, even if i would've been advised to make his map look better it would have a tiny impact.

Well, hope i made that clear.

Level 7
True that multiple choices is better, but then someone might vote for all submissions. Like Darkness4Ever for instance. It's just not right I guess :/

Level 11
A]mun;1490699 said:

And as god spoke: "Let there be Lumen." i've sensed a moody intro, with a rainy scenery and fitting music. Great work here! Ended suddenly, which has been a problem in most projects (3-5 min intro should be a must have to create atmosphere and lore as well as mystery, if you ask me). It's not really embracing, or inviting the player, feels more like a fast-food-dish. I then started to descend into the mountain. And there were bugs... Cam bugs already and also some cliffs were pathable, which looked really weird xD... but one can easily avoid it of course. Music didn't loop on, just stopped and that didn't feel like a complete package anymore (lack of atmosphere). The terrain was natural and fits well, great work with some custom models in this moody and big cave. But without music this feeling gets castrated :/. Fighting becomes boring pretty fast, usual hack an slay stuff (parry could've been used more crucial for example). The Water riddle F9 infomation was empty, also way too easy. Cambugs increased drastically at Sapphire Tower so i couldn't proceed. I tried to adjust the angles, clicked on different spots on the ground... nothing helped. Too bad it ended there, because i've just found two journals and Ardnived did a great job implementing them in this unique way. Would like to find out more, but sadly i am hindered by these unnecessary bugs ;/...

Numeric conclusion:

Unique Ideas: 14/20
Defined Artistic Style: 19/20

Bonus: 30-60 minutes of average playtime is just enough, but unsatisfying this short. A bigger problem are the unnecessary bugs, which fool the experience as well as a a missing musical theme make me subtract 5 points.

Overall: 74/100

Last words:

The way through is quite linear, but i felt that it fits. There are some paths to choose from, not much, but it's okay. It definitely has visual atomsphere, but lacks acustic diversity (that mourning sound all the time gets annoying), especially music. To hack and slay through was not really satisfying for me, i guess i've played too much games of this genre already. I missed unique ideads for the combat here, like i mentioned before. The style is overall harmonic and fitting and the use of custom models is remarkable. It feels mysterious and charming. Lore has been created with the journal, in a personal and embracing way, too bad that i couldn't enjoy more of it. Gameplay was too ordinary, nothing challenging, or really creative, but it went fluid and unproblematic however. It's a tragedy, that Lumen suffers from such obvious bugs... My advise would be to patch it and alter the combat system, which shouldn't be too much work.

(Miscellaneous: Refering to the contest rules Lumen would get disqualified, but that depends on the judges decision. And to be honest, i would really dislike to see this getting disqualified. Ardnived obviously spent tons of time to get it this far and that alone should be honored.)

I felt I should make some response to the issues you raise.

But first off as I said in the other topic, my ability to work on the map was cut off rather abruptly, and so I was unable to continue working to fix the bugs that are prevalent.

And it is impossible to complete simply because it is not complete, there is no conclusion created.

But anyways to look more ahead,

Environment
I had planned to shift the mood of the map quite a bit as you got deeper, but unfortunately I never got that far.

And yes I never got around to making sure the music looped. :(

Combat
Combat was to a large degree last on my agenda, you may have noticed that many abilities were unfinished, and I had planned to possibly add and ally that joined you deeper in the caverns, which I believe would have added to that.

The Introduction
I know it felt quite rushed :(, I was largely restricted because the music I used was only 1 minute, I did some fiddling with pitch to extend it, but then it sometimes stopped when you performed certain actions like minimizing warcraft.

And once again I was limited by time.

I had not planned to continue Lumen, but after reading your review it has inspired me to perhaps go ahead with it (Assuming I can fix my windows). I have many other ideas for great and longer depths to the caverns and plot, and perhaps now I will continue the map and include them. Thank you very much. :)

Kingz, I can't play your map. I ran through the triggers and a) You use the index of [0], [1], [2] for the dialog buttons, while in the "A dialog is clicked" trigger, you use the index of [1], [2], [3], hence the Mage cannot be picked.
The other thing I noticed is that the interaction with the A-diary is impossible, even if both the ability and the diary have to do with Debris. Pity because the environment really thrilled me. I would vote just for the environment, but unfortunately, playing a game that seemingly has "bugs" (in your case they are just imperfections), is annoying after all. Since I loved the concept though, I might fix the triggers a bit to finally play with this, cause the environment is great! I'll probably vote for you too actually.
Oh, just got the enflamed branch, entered a random region, removed the item, but it didn't run other triggers. Damn :(

Level 14
I wonder why there are so few votes on Lereux.

Anyway so far I've played Arcadia, Lereux and Lumen.

Arcadia and Lumen both had problems gameplay wise. Beutifull theme and all but Lumen was kinda combat only. Controls where messy and I didn't really understand how to play it. I kept dying at creeps all over again.

Arcadia was cool but the controls were awful. Mainly it's because of the fact of it's using walkable destructibles only. But I didn't understand wether I actually interacting with a unit or not since nothing happened when using the ability and the riddles etc didn't even give me a hint (some people might find this challanging but I just find it boring), I was just mindlessly walking around untill I got bored and quit.
I didn't really know what to do as I did in Lereux and Lumen. In Lereux there was a locked door and I figured "oh a locked door, I must pass it somehow to proceed but how?". All in all Arcadia was a stylish game with some controls lacking.

Lumen felt just like a hack n slash, I played it until I got to a room filled with 5 of those ghoul stuff where I died, the camera kept shaking and I'm guessing you used Oppicam for it. It's pretty clear alot of work went into the terrain because it was awesome, except for a light glitch at one point.

Lereux is the exact opposite, it was fun to play, great controls and the terrain was OK but the story was less good, mainly because it just reminded me off the Monkey island games which isn't really a bad thing but it's not original hence a big minus.

Level 14
Please, end this poll now, this is in no way fair to the contestants who have worked for months. Let Sylveona be the judge... the only judge. 90% of the voters probably didn't even try all of the maps.

I agree, most of these maps last 1h or so, I doubt everyone have played them all.

I know I haven't

Level 4
whoa I tested the maps o_O I'm voting for everyone. The maps are very cool. I can't say almost anything against the maps!
Keep up the brilliant job!!!

Level 18
I agree. There are maps where everybody has bad things to say about, so if you got no comment on any map, then it's quite obvious that you're not able to see quality. Maybe your standards are way too low that you think any map with a walkable puppet is good. Maybe it's something else, but whatever the reason: If you can't put any comment on a single map, you're vote is worthless.

Sorry I have to be so harsh, but I don't like a contest poll being screwed up by people who have absolutely no idea what they even have to look for in a winning map...

Level 4
Sorry I have to be so harsh, but I don't like a contest poll being screwed up by people who have absolutely no idea what they even have to look for in a winning map...
Why the hell do you think that....
No one is actually screwing the poll. I couldn't find anything in one of these maps that I don't like... (terran, scripts, gameplay, etc. ) I think it would be better at least to vote o_O I didn't actually think that I did anything wrong. It's just like voting for nobody but at least this way people can see my opinion on the maps.
It's that simple. :p

Level 11
Why the hell do you think that....
No one is actually screwing the poll. I couldn't find anything in one of these maps that I don't like... (terran, scripts, gameplay, etc. ) I think it would be better at least to vote o_O I didn't actually think that I did anything wrong. It's just like voting for nobody but at least this way people can see my opinion on the maps.
It's that simple. :p

How much of these entries you've played so far? Every project? Until the end?

Level 18
I told you Vankata: There's something wrong with most of these maps, so if you can't see it, you probably don't know what makes a map a winning one. Take your time around these forums, create your own maps and upload them, and ask for comments on the map (be sure to remember that both good and bad comments, how cruel they might sound, could have a truth hidden inside them. That is ofcourse if those comments are well argumented). The more you try to benefit from those comments, the more you'll learn about keeping a sharp eye for detail in both your own resources as those of others, like here.

@Linaze: I simply can't imagine what drives people to vote for the map with most votes. I mean what could they gain from it? They can only ruin the poll results :S

Status
Not open for further replies.