• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tidesage

Tidesage
by Footman16 and General frank
The Tidesages (also written tidesages), also known as sea priests or tidepriests, are a religious Kul Tiran group that worship the Tidemother based in Stormsong Valley, in the Shrine of the Storm. Most people on Kul Tiras look to the seas for guidance the same way others look to the Light, but the tidesages have a much deeper connection with the water.
Description
A Tidesage model based on the Tidesage's as they appear in WoW, the primary inspiration for this model and texture came from this piece of concept art:
277167-fb56fc16c6fd790073e8549338d23a88.png
with this design in mind I decided to set about making it, I started with the Acolyte and after a lot of geo-merging and editing created something that had the general look. Next I combined all the textures into one and began creating the Tidesage texture. I also passed the model over to our very own General Frank to improve it, this included a custom-made staff, cleaning up my very messy modelling work, optimising it, adding a built-in portrait among many other improvements and as well as creating icons for it.

With the base model done I simply re-coloured the texture to create the two other variations that can be found in WoW.

To Import
Import the .mdx model file:
War3MapImported\Tidesage.mdx
Import the Texture and remove War3mapImported\
So it looks as follows:
Tidesage.blp

So if you decide to use this resource please give credits to both myself and General Frank for his amazing work on this resource.

Keywords: Tidesage, Tide Sage, Tidesages, Sea Priest, Kul Tiras, Kul'Tiras, Kul'Tiran, Kul Tiran, Boralus, Proudmoore, Jaina, Katherine, Daelin, Storm, Stormsong Valley, Stormsong, Tide, Tidemother,
Previews
Contents

Tidesage (Model)

Tidesage Icon (Icon)

Tidesage Green (Model)

Tidesage Green Icon (Icon)

Tidesage Grey (Model)

Tidesage Grey Icon (Icon)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
A pretty good mage model. My suggestion is to exaggerate the robe's movement a bit more during the "Move" animation. Works in-game. Approved!
Nice job on the texture here, and the mesh also looks quite Warcrafty 👍 I only wish some animations like Attack and Portrait Talk were given more attention. Would be also nice to have hero glow here since they have Dissipate animation like heroes and maybe a unit variation with some decaying bones.

By the way, which mage variation is the most powerful among them?

Nice job on the texture here, and the mesh also looks quite Warcrafty 👍 I only wish some animations like Attack and Portrait Talk were given more attention. Would be also nice to have hero glow here since they have Dissipate animation like heroes and maybe a unit variation with some decaying bones.

By the way, which mage variation is the most powerful among them?
There are both decay flesh and decay bone animations so it can be used as a unit and hero, in order for it to be used as a hero people will need to add the glow themselves which is easy enough :)

In terms of power I'm not sure, I think the purple one is your kind of standard and the green one is your Kul Tiran Tidesage, so maybe the grey one? I dunno lol.

There are both decay flesh and decay bone animations so it can be used as a unit and hero, in order for it to be used as a hero people will need to add the glow themselves which is easy enough :)
Ah, now I'm beginning to see! 😄 I remember we had a small argument with Grendel about this, that since you’re doing the Dissipate animation, then you need a hero glow, and if you’re adding bones for a mortal unit, then why does it need additional hero animations? Here, 2 different files solve all the problems, and each will weigh less individually, and let the user decide for himself whether he needs a hero or a unit. I think this is the way, at least for me.

In terms of power I'm not sure, I think the purple one is your kind of standard and the green one is your Kul Tiran Tidesage, so maybe the grey one? I dunno lol.
Haha, I was about to bet on the green dude.

Last edited:
wonderful ~ I think this is the best character you have been made by now , I wish to see more like this from you ~ good work !

And just one thing , I think there is no much diferences between attack one and two ~
There is. He aims up slightly in Attack Two.
Ah, now I'm beginning to see! 😄 I remember we had a small argument with Grendel about this, that since you’re doing the Dissipate animation, then you need a hero glow, and if you’re adding bones for a mortal unit, then why does it need additional hero animations? Here, 2 different files solve all the problems, and each will weigh less individually, and let the user decide for himself whether he needs a hero or a unit. I think this is the way, at least for me.
I added the dissipate animation (and all another animations as well for that matter) and in my experience adding a hero glow is easier for most people. :)

There is. He aims up slightly in Attack Two.

I added the dissipate animation (and all another animations as well for that matter) and in my experience adding a hero glow is easier for most people. :)
You mean adding custom hero glow via attachment points? I thought it's easier just to download a wholesome model that is specifically made for its type and then happily go to Art - Model File 🤷‍♂️

You mean adding custom hero glow via attachment points? I thought it's easier just to download a wholesome model that is specifically made for its type and then happily go to Art - Model File 🤷‍♂️
For me it is and I have been asked how to attach a hero glow with triggers/attachment points over the years so many times.
It also seems to be smaller on the map not having to import two full models.
I guess it is a solution for a problem that can have many solutions.

For me it is and I have been asked how to attach a hero glow with triggers/attachment points over the years so many times.
It also seems to be smaller on the map not having to import two full models.
I guess it is a solution for a problem that can have many solutions.
Hm, I also remember people asking about this when they wanted to make a hero from a unit. But I don't see many weighty reasons to import both models because who the hell needs the same looking model as a hero and a unit in one map? That just doesn't make much sense because the hero is a more important entity, which should be very different from a simple unit in appearance. Only maybe if it's some sort of an RPG where a unit becomes a hero 🤷‍♂️

Well, and technically it does have drawbacks such as poorly placed or missing attachment points on some models, things like glows that are the wrong size, and ill-shaped glows when it comes to oddly shaped weapons like scythes, longswords, or halberds. And some other things, like you don't see the glows in the editor or they contain only one square plane with one billboarded bone and cannot create enough volumetry. In this regard one will need many different types of glow, taking into account their shape and size, so that everything looks rather warcrafty.

No matter what anyone says, but for me there is nothing better than a completely self-sufficient model that is designed to be a unit or a hero with carefully adjusted glow that you can observe in the Sanity or in the preview 🤌

Hm, I also remember people asking about this when they wanted to make a hero from a unit. But I don't see many weighty reasons to import both models because who the hell needs the same looking model as a hero and a unit in one map? That just doesn't make much sense because the hero is a more important entity, which should be very different from a simple unit in appearance. Only maybe if it's some sort of an RPG where a unit becomes a hero 🤷‍♂️

Well, and technically it does have drawbacks such as poorly placed or missing attachment points on some models, things like glows that are the wrong size, and ill-shaped glows when it comes to oddly shaped weapons like scythes, longswords, or halberds. And some other things, like you don't see the glows in the editor or they contain only one square plane with one billboarded bone and cannot create enough volumetry. In this regard one will need many different types of glow, taking into account their shape and size, so that everything looks rather warcrafty.

No matter what anyone says, but for me there is nothing better than a completely self-sufficient model that is designed to be a unit or a hero with carefully adjusted glow that you can observe in the Sanity or in the preview 🤌
That's fair. Each to his own, I guess. :)

Last edited: