• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warcraft -&- Conquer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Ages and ages ago, way back in 1995, there was a very special game released by a company called Westwood Studios. This game is acknowledged as the single best RTS of its time. Of course, I am talking about Command and Conquer! I have been working on a map based off Westwood's RTS hit, and it is nearing completion. The main reason I am sharing this in the project forum is that I want to know if anyone is willing to share CnC-related resources to add to the map. (If you want to see the latest version of this incomplete map, go to epicwar.com and search for "Command and Conquer". Look for the map made by zt2211).
I am currently lacking unit sounds as well as suitable models for the units, although Illidan(Evil)X has provided several useful ones.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, don't hesitate to PM me!
Any contributions will be appreciated and acknowledged!

If I remember correctly, c&c also had the SAM Site, Turret and the Chinook transport helicopter right?

RA_Models2.jpg

Level 9
TS = Tiberian Sun
RA = Red Alert

RA and most of C&C games (discard Generals and Emperor - Battle for Dune) had Voxels instead of actual 3D models.

This is why lag was low and graphic was also not that high.
I don't think a 3D approach would have too much success concerning this aspect but... I also thought I would never see W3IR on line, so I expect you to prove me wrong!

RA was kinda nasty - if you ask me. TS was the first RTS I played and I made a passion out of it. Tried to MOD that one... :)

RA... Yes, it had some buldings but like this:
Flack turret
Pillbox
Tesla tower (I think it was tower)
Prism tower (again, might not be tower)
etc.

TS had the SAM site, Defensice Tower, Vulcan Cannon, SAM Upgrade, RPG Upgrade, Laser Turret, Obelisk of Light ans so on.

The Chinook would look a LOT different, I'll give you that.
I could make up a list with all the units and buildings of RA and TS - give me a delay of 3 weeks ( I got exams now). I could also support you with some design, skinning or tool development (as long as we talk about 2D graphical resources...).

Don't count me in as of now - I have a complicated existence right now so I don't mean to disappoint you.

I could import the original sounds used by TS/RA for their units / buidlings. yet this might brake the copyright if you'd use them - I think...

Talk to you more in 3-4 weeks...
Cheers!

Level 6
Impatience is what kills maps with big file sizes. The way I look at it, the person who leaves before the game starts is likely to leave mid-game if things don't go their way. But it is annoying to wait three minutes for someone with a slow connection to download...
Anyways, in case I didn't make this clear before, the map is based off the first C&C game, not RA or TS (although RA has some units that would be fun to make). For a list of units, structures, and tactics (which work in this map, too!), here is a good site to visit.
Illidan, your models capture the essence of C&C, in my opinion. Just because they don't have detailed textures doesn't make them ugly.
I don't think I'll import many sounds from the original game into the map after all, not so much due to copyright violations as for saving space.

Last edited:
Level 6
Illidan, your models are beyond compare! The Orca fighter model is precisely what I need most!
Also, that's one cool screenshot of your Red Alert map. How did you get the walls to connect like that?

Also, that's one cool screenshot of your Red Alert map. How did you get the walls to connect like that?

Thanks.
I've made a system that makes the Concrete Walls work much like the one in Red Alert.

Mechanical Man said:
LOL! This seems too detailed!

Not really..
326 faces and a 128x128 texture.
Model and texture should be ~ 40 kb when finished.

Still looks good don't you think? :thumbs_up:

Level 6
Yeah, it looks very good, especially when you consider how small it is! :infl_thumbs_up:
Could I get a link to that model (when you finish it) and those three you previously displayed (SAM site, turret, and chinook)? Those are at the top of my model replacement list! I'd appreciate any further help.

Level 6
Thanks, Illidan! I'm grateful for your help. Those models look good, despite their low file size.

This map is nearly complete, but not quite. The first terrain for the map is finished (made by Auraiken@Azeroth), but I have a small amount of triggers to complete (namely, one that makes Tiberium poisonous without making the map lag). In regard to resources, I have most of the sounds that I plan to import, and 75% of the units have appropriate models or skins. If anyone is interested in sharing a model, look here for a list of units that are currently model-less. As always, any help is appreciated and acknowledged!

Last edited:
Level 9
yo illidan, as you may know, i am also making a red alert map. well, its basically done, but i need more skins and stuff. can i use the models you make, and give full credit to you for modeling? it would be greatly appreciated. i was also wondering, why dont we all work on one cnc map, Me, You, zt2211, Auraiken, and make one huge kik @$$ map? just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.