• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warden #42

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Hosted Project Forum

warden-glow-2-gif.277539
warden-title-png.169522
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
ruler-2-png.249639

-Main Features-
267_1.png
Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
101_1.png
Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
98_1.png
Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
293_1.png
Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

counterwardenthread-png.269474
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
Level 26
Now i just made this user just to be able to play your game, so you could say im dedicated to play your campaign :p
Well, thanks a bunch, and welcome back to Warcraft! :D

I just downloaded this very version myself to make sure there was nothing wrong with it, and I found nothing.
Since you haven't played in a long time, is your Warcraft maybe at a really old patch?
Video settings can sometimes mess up certain campaigns aswell, so you could set them all to high just to be sure.

Does other custom campaigns and maps work fine?

Level 1
Yea i uh.. Shortly after writing it occured to me that my game may not have been up to date.
True enough, it wasnt.

I deleted my reply after i found out.
Ive now played abit of your campaign and its wonderful! Its awesome with the amount of work youve put into it AND that youre still active about it!

Deleted member 237964

D

Deleted member 237964

Is there an option to play on defult? You know...just with the mouse?

Level 3
Hey Rufus. Wonderful map, I am just trying it out now. I got to say that the puzzle to unlock Master Mode (which I don't know what that means yet), was challenging. The map/campaign itself is challenging and keeps alive my spirit to be competitive and challenge myself with the game.

Congratulations brother! Wonderful one. Haven't finished it yet though, I'm just at Ashenvale atm hehe

Level 3
Hey Rufus. Just found a minor bug, probably due using the latest patch.

I've saved my game on the druid caves (trying to find the soul gem); but then when I've loaded the game I'm out of the cave and far from the entrance. Plus, my damage points (attack) and multiplier has gone down both of them. Like a reset.

I've picked up an orb that gives +2dmg I remember. I've saved but when I load the game, my damage shows as it was before picking up the orb. And the orb is gone; so I've missed that.

Just making sure you know about this minor thing. Have a nice one :) Still enjoying Warden

Level 3
Right. Just finished playing! I was hyped to see outlands, but that's not been done yet :(. I'm a fan of this Warden Campaign. If I can be any helpful let me know Rufus.

Waiting for the next chapters! :) 5/5

Level 26
Thanks for the feedback!
Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Hmm, those bugs are nasty. Unfortnately, I won't get around to fix them in a while, partly because I haven't been very motivated to create more content lately, and partly because I'm reworking the campaign quite a lot.
The whole overmap will be gone, and replaced with a much more beautiful one. Additionally, the upgrades (such as damage) will be reworked aswell, since that didn't work with what I had in store later in the game.

I have terrain and concept completely done for the new Starglade and Outland (I got really satisfied with the look of Outland), but I haven't gotten around to code what should be in it yet.
I have also plans for the two last chapters, but haven't gotten started on terrain or code yet.

If I can be any helpful let me know Rufus.
Maybe, what do you do? :)

Level 1
Hiya :) This seems to be an amazing RPG and I can tell you've put a lot of time into it. My one issue at the moment (and reason for commenting) is that I can only see 3 menus / options. These are the 'main menu [F10]', 'warden [z]' and 'log [F12]'. There should be two extra options. I cannot access them with the hotkeys inlcuded in the tutorial.

I've written this pretty poorly but hopefully you get the idea.

Cheers :)

Edit; My toubleshooting so far has included restarting the campaign and rebooting war3. The options are missing in both the tutorial and main campaign.

Level 26
Oh, I have removed the menus. Only the three that you mentioned should be visible. :)
It's an old tutorial, so it may no longer be 100% accurate. I should update it.

Thanks for letting me know!

Hope you enjoy the campaign! Please come back and let me know what you think once you've played a bit more. :)

Level 4
The catapult trigger leaks. After having fun with it for 10 minutes, and trying to shoot all the rocks to find hidden stuff and testing negative numbers aswell as strings and other cheesy stuff, the map became extremely laggy and unresponsive, the trigger for the movement of the Warden was almost slowed to a halt, i needed to click with the mouse in order to move around. You could easily tell the performance of the map had dropped by like 90% atleast. Completetly unplayable.

Otherwise a top quality campagin!

Level 9
Personal Review

Terrain -
One of the best terrains I have seen in the campaigns I have played, while, not the best (there are maps with better terrain, not referring to the templates), it is still good, I love the simplicity of it, slightly reminds me of Blizzard's terrain, with much more detail!

Gameplay - The gameplay is something I haven't seen before, incredibly simple, but fun and challenging at the same time! And the puzzles? Makes it even more awesome! Slightly reminding me of the Zelda games I used to play back in the day.

Story - Oh boy, now this is my least favorite part about it. Sure, it's not horrible, but not very good either, it is however intriguing in some points. Again, this is my personal preference so not everyone is gonna agree with me on this bit. The more warcraft story based campaigns come out, the less I like the story made by peeps! (Idk why, probs because it has been so overdone to the point its not even funny). If this was an original story based in your own world, I probably would have liked it more. (I may also be biased for not completing the campaign, but I am pretty sure I have gone through most of it).

Final Rating: 5/5. Keep it up!

Recommended to everyone who wants a real challenge, specifically those who played the Zelda games, specifically the old ones!

Level 5
Hello once again.

I think it was a about a year ago that i said i was going to check this out since a story was added again. But well, Got busy and didn’t get the chance to do so. However, Once again, I have achieved some free time and im going to play this again. Since it has been almost a year im assuming vast improvements have been made. Im going to share my point of view soon!

Stay tuned xD

Level 7
So I have just finished the first chapter and honestly it looks amazing! It's one of the best custom maps I have ever played. It looks amazing, the gameplay is really new and creative and I loved it!
There are some issues though. The codes for the first location worked (and I didn't know I had to use it) but the codes for the other two didn't do anything.
Also, the enemies use basic attacks that go through even if i dash away, isn't there a way how to resolve it? (like make a trigger that when a boss attacks it deals damage in area in front of him and the boss's attack would be 1).
Otherwise, absolutly amazing! 5/5

Level 5
Well finally tried to play after i downloaded it some time ago.
The maps look quite good: much detail, different models and it fits.
The gameplay is something i never played before in Warcraft but unfortunately it's more than obvious that the Engine of the Game itself does not really fit to the Map:
I just gave up after trying to load after i died within the nothing but frustrating Zombieboss-Fight in the Dungeon of the Troll-Camp: I am no more able to use any skills.
I think that Trash-Mobs and Riddles have the right difficulty.

Btw. i don't know if it ought to be a troll or just something mean: Within the dungeon you fight the Firelord there is a room with rotating blades: Well, they fly through the wall and killed me in a zone that looked to me like a safe one.
The Catapult was funny.

The dash-skill is nice but i does not always work to dodge damage and it would be really nice to see if you can use the skill or if it still has Cooldown.

Maybe i'll give the map another try but today i just say, that it is too frustrating after seeing the Frost-Zombie. (40 damage per hit...)
Rating for now: 3/5

Level 26
The gameplay is something i never played before in Warcraft but unfortunately it's more than obvious that the Engine of the Game itself does not really fit to the Map
Yes, this is true unfortunatley. However, the new editor updates seems promising for the movement system!
I'm gonna rework attacking too eventually, since it doesn't really feel fluent to stop each time you attack. Attack will no longer interrupt movement.
I am no more able to use any skills.
That sounds like a bug. You cannot dash or attack for example?
Lead the zombie over the exploding ice traps to stun him, and then get a few attacks in. Repeat until it dies.
I think that Trash-Mobs and Riddles have the right difficulty.
Good to hear. I intend to rework many mobs eventually too though, so that you'll be able to dodge all attacks somehow.
Within the dungeon you fight the Firelord there is a room with rotating blades: Well, they fly through the wall and killed me in a zone that looked to me like a safe one.
I'll look into that. Those are one of the first features I've ever made a few years ago, so I probably made them very badly. :D
The Catapult was funny.
Thanks, I think so too. :D
but i does not always work to dodge damage
I'm not sure what you mean?
The dash ability is not supposed to block any damage, only avoid it.
and it would be really nice to see if you can use the skill or if it still has Cooldown.
This is also going to be updated. The dash length is gonna be nerfed as the cooldown is gonna be close to non-existant, so an indicator won't really be neccesary.

Thanks for the review!
Hope you keep playing! :)

So I have just finished the first chapter and honestly it looks amazing! It's one of the best custom maps I have ever played. It looks amazing, the gameplay is really new and creative and I loved it!
There are some issues though. The codes for the first location worked (and I didn't know I had to use it) but the codes for the other two didn't do anything.
Also, the enemies use basic attacks that go through even if i dash away, isn't there a way how to resolve it? (like make a trigger that when a boss attacks it deals damage in area in front of him and the boss's attack would be 1).
Otherwise, absolutly amazing! 5/5
Sorry I didn't answer earlier! I must have missed this.
Thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated. :)
Hmm, the codes should work, strange. I'm not sure I'll look into this right now, as they are going to disappear in future versios.
Agreed on the basic attacks from creeps. Those should be able to be dodged. It's going to be updated. :)

Level 5
ok so i found some time today to "finish" this, so here is the other part of my feedback.

About the Lich and his hideout:
The Zombie was clear enough to know what to do, but the room was quite small which caused me to get some (more or less) unnecessary hits. Also you need luck to get some frost fountains to spawn at a good location.
The Lich was ... ok. Requires some movement in different ways. My only problem: A frostwave came from south and i could only see it quite late because of screen-reasons.
Before i forget it: the icy path was nasty because the movements did not feel realistic all and you are still pulled to your death when you reach the eastern side of that abyss and walk about the bridge which some sort of "Does that really has to be?!"

After that you had to sneak into the Druids' cave. Nice but a bit strange when those Druids throw the same person out again and again. Poor Druids :(

So next dungeon:
First following a sound, nice but could have stoped me if my headset was empty (luckily it had still some power).
Passing some blight? Could be easy if does not kill you within less than one second.
Then there are 4 Guardiens:
Malfurion Jr.: i needed a second try to figure out how he works but he is definetly killable.
Cenarius Jr.: same als Malf
Illi Jr.: I'm just thinking of doing the last Undead Mission with Cheats to kill Illi in a fast way. With the owls this can last quite long and i didn't see any chance to heal within this fight. Also his ulti is anoying when you are a bit to slow and his attack range seems a bit to high in my opinion.
Sylv Jr.: Was quite simple.
Before i speak about the final boss: that room with thorns and switching perspectives instant killed me because i still pressed the key to move forward when entering the room.
Now let's come to the final boss. Finding him in this strange room is a nice feeling. I don't remember anything special apart from some giant wisps.

And that was already the first chapter: A bit short but something that is not nice. I'm no fan of lovestories so i won't speak much about the plot. The plot could make sense.

Now the first bonus map:
When i ever see a chicken in another map or campaign: Then it dies (By a unit or by my cursor). I don't want to spoiler.
Rocks, bridges, explosives and the new skill can be very interesting to have fun with: like (but i don't think that you can kill all rocks (to be honest i didn't tried to get that power-up an that coin at the beginning of those tunnels).
Is it intended that the Master Kobold you have to talk with has no information about his head?
Then going to special location where everything looks the same: Dislike, it's nothing but monotonous. Also it doesn't make sense to walk to 3 different locations when your walking in a circle.
At the next position we finally find Sludge Monsters: Stunning is for some groups important but apart from that the only real challenge here seems to be to pass that way after the explosives factory: I didn't see any use for those explosives and those 2 stupid sludge monsters (caused me to reload several times) were something i passed using that backport and a dash through the second sludge.
After that the trash was quite easy.
Another questions: Why is there a giant mountain of explosives with tentacles? I didn't read the entire dialog with the Kobold Master i haven't read anything about that. Also it would be nice to finish the timer when you reached the Labyrinth again.
The boss was another thing i didn't liked: For me it was Stun --> Make some hits --> try to dash out --> oh there are some tentacles spawning --> meh i died. This happened until the boss was dead.
For me it was no real boss-feeling.

The second bonus map didn't loaded at all. My Gameversion: 1.30.1.10211 which should be the actual one.

The difficulty of the campaign is called "Rather Easy" - Um ... nope. For me it feels like medium till a bit hard.

So that should be everything i wanted to say.

Level 26
Seems to be figured out. :)

Note taht the latest patches has screwed this map a bit, so new thigns are on their way.

A really big update is coming! Not sure if soon, since its huge.
I've begun to rework all maps to fit a new more responsive arrowkey movement system, added new more interesting enemies, etc.

A few changes:
-Movement speed is no longer slowed upon attacking.
-The stun spell is replaced by three new abilities, with different utilities.
-You can now heal.
-You no longer passively gain mana, but gain it from landing attacks on enemies.
-Movement is more responsive.
-All enemy attacks can be dodged, if played correctly. Learn you enemy in order to take it on without taking damage.
-Instead of 100 health, you have 5 lives, losing one for each hit you take.
-You will be able to choose to increase lives, damage, mana or spell damage when you level up.
-You can no longer revive after taking fatal damage. You must utilze saves in order to continue.
-New utility abilities added.
-Only attacking, dashing and healing is available from the start, the rest of the abilities will be unlocked as you level up.
-New story, new main character.

WIP Screenshot with maincharacter blacked out:
Namnlös2.png

Last edited:

Ant

Ant

Level 1
I could not find the second part of the story, where it is?,

I'm curious about the sequel,

the story is good and interesting