• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What is it the thing you enjoy the most while playing customs campaigns?

Level 11
So I've been asking myself this kinds of questions and I wanted to know about yours.

1) What are the features you enjoy the most?
2) What are your expectations?
3) Do you really enjoy classic-type or want to play something new that has evolved from the old classic warcraft 1,2,3?
4) What about the sound enviroment, cinematics, etc. Do you pay any attention to that?

As for myself I don't have yet a definite answer, but when I'm playing I like it when there is a certain resemble to classic campaigns, but also has some new features added to it that keep things fresh (weather it's custom items, spells or gameplay), voiceacting always add value even if it can be improved. I usually don't pay much attention to music, but when there's good music I do notice it and generally enjoy it.

In terms of story telling, I like it when I find new stories that can or not be related to the W3 universe, but have their own story and characters. I give extra points to the terrain and use of dooads and enviroment, they help so much the player inmerse in the story...

Though these are some of the things that come to my mind right now, if the campaign is overall good I don't mind playing somethings I'm not so fan of.

So, what about you?

This is a very interesting topic and one thing I try to be conscious of when making my own works.

For me personally, custom items and units/enemies is always a big plus as the original Warcraft items do get a bit stale and repetitive. I also like to see cohesive custom assets used well. Gameplay as well I like to be close to the original Warcraft campaigns, a good mix of dungeon-crawler types and base missions but also with some unique objectives thrown in at times.

From my own experiences of seeing people's feedback and comments over the years people are actually very content and happy with simple base building missions; people appreciate unique gameplay but they honestly in some ways are very happy to just play what one could consider "simple" gameplay which is nice.

In terms of story my favourite campaigns are the ones like Tomoraiders and Med.MapGuys that retell WoW stories in Warcraft 3 however I've made a conscious effort to branch out and give any campaign a try but I think people do appreciate stories that feel like they could fit into the story of either RoC or TFT.

Level 21
I just enjoy the average WC3 feel. Build up your base (the sound of chopping trees and that pik pik pik repairing is somehow therapeutic), and fight lots of stuff :xxd:

I like campaigns that give a sense of progression, let you unlock new things, and give some player agency. My great examples for that are Wings of Liberty and Legacy of the Void where you can pick campaign-wide upgrades, make decisions that have some sort of impact and change your army composition, things like that I appreciate.

With the hero system in WC3 I think rewarding exploration is also a big plus, like finding some items in a remote corner of the map instead of just beelining toward the enemy base.

In terms of setting, I'd say I prefer the classic Warcraft setting, as I sometime struggle with entirely new universes if they don't really click with me.

Having cool sound/music is important, don't really care about voice, it's a hit or miss and can bring some personality but also become detrimental if not done properly

Level 11
Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts. I do agree with you.

Latetly I've been thinking: "what do I like to play?" or "If I make something what would it be like?".

And from what I've gather (from players feedback and personal experience) is what Footman said: Simple base building with a normal-medium to hard challenge, and if you can have the player to make them think of an strategy to overcome the map, the better.

I think the reason we all stucked with W3 for so long is mostly because we like the gameplay style and it's lore. So, when creating new maps, having some lore related or oficial fan made spin-off is well recieved.

Even though comming now with new original ideas is nearly impossible- we have to focus on to how we want to play, not in what we want to play. Of course, there's always personal value that can't be the same for everyone.

I forgot to put on some examples of the works I've enjoyed!

Thievery Campaign, several C.Camp. from SevenBlood, Exodus: the Violet Gate, just to name a few that came to my mind.

And, actually @Footman16 I have totally forgotten I've played one of your campaigns! And I also commentend on that project xD

Fun fact: when I mentioned the custom music at the start of the thread, I was thinking of your custom music from Lordaeron's Legacy, which I didn't know it had a sequel that I'm now downloading.
Gosh, I knew I've interacted with you before but didn't remember where lol 🥲 😂