• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Over Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
The belt buckle on our resource archive has finally popped. The uploading of all resources has been temperarily disabled. Please do not try to upload any right now...it will just create a broken link page that I will have to clean out later.

Darky is currently requesting additional space from his provider. Clearing existing space will not re-enable uploading features, since its likely a stop issued by the provider. Will keep everyone up to date.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
-VG

Level 2
Hey,I would like to make some donations to support the site cause. But the donation page isnt in English, so i dont understand how to donate. lol

Level 9
*Salutes Xenu*
VG though you have put this message up there are some stubborn people who dont read the front page...

Level 3
this is sort of good news actually, finally a purge is one step closer to realization :D

will it be manual, or eg looping through all the resources checking number of downloads/date/comments or so?

As for the future, would it be possible to run mdx-squisher on each mdx submitted or compress uncompressed blp's at 85% for example? That should save a whole lot of space...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The site literly has come to a stand still. . .
I recommend the moderators purge the map and spell sections quickly since thoes are the 2 "big" sections data wise.
I am awair that even if space is made you will be unable to upload but this site realy can not keep shoving the dirt under the carpet even if more space is aquired it will soon fill up unless you clear the dirt away.

By this I mean the map, modle, skin, and spell sections need to be looked over and any junk deleted.

Level 15
Assuming the host is using a normal Linux filesystem quota, you CAN fix things by deleting files. As soon as you have freed enough space to be below the soft quota limit, you should be ok.

Wc3Anvil is around and ready. Maybe you could offload some of the files there. :)

Level 12
This is probably going to lead to alot of new people joining warcraft3campains...

I actually hope that does not happen...

You see? Users in this site are used to submitting work without mod approval. In the event they end up in wc3c they will sooner end up frustrated by the review process and flood my site with flame wars. And although we have infinite hosting I don't want to fill Uluru's server with much more stuff than now. I actually hope that search solves this little problem so the balance is kept.

I would say that if users really want search to exist they should try the "Donate" button. I don't think it is too easy for Darky to upgrade the site's space. From "very big" to "even more big"

Level 17
Vexorian said:
I would say that if users really want search to exist they should try the "Donate" button. I don't think it is too easy for Darky to upgrade the site's space. From "very big" to "even more big"

That would be just space for more crappy stuff. I don't see why people should start giving money if the current space isn't used well. :roll:

Level 22
This is probably going to lead to alot of new people joining warcraft3campains...

Yeah, I suspect they are gloating like hell over this.

I actually hope that does not happen...

You see? Users in this site are used to submitting work without mod approval. In the event they end up in wc3c they will sooner end up frustrated by the review process and flood my site with flame wars. And although we have infinite hosting I don't want to fill Uluru's server with much more stuff than now. I actually hope that search solves this little problem so the balance is kept.

Balance? So basically "dont die, because then all your newbs will come over here." Thanks a lot Vex. Your continued atop-the-ivory-tower sentiment is always welcome here.

in my opinion wc3c is much better, better quality stuff, active mods and admins, friendlier and less stupid people..

Considering that their mods come over here throwing sucker punches at us every so often, and among other things, it has not left me with a good impression of them...and my visits over there have yielded more flamming and immaturity then I see here, so I beg to differ, at least from what I've seen.

Overall I suspect this may be the end of the site. Darky says he is trying to get more space, deal with the problem ect, but like ususal, its probably just empty promises and it'll be months again before he even bothers to make himself available for me to contact him in any sort of way, and by that time the membership will have moved on. He was suprised the site was still going, so I guess he really wasnt expecting it to be, and was looking forward to lifting the $800 a year burden known as wc3sear.ch off his chest. So go ahead wc3campaigns, throw your little party or prepare you little "anti-noob influx barriers" or whatever.
-VGsatomi

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The space this site has is more than needed but there is so much junk.
Wc3c has few maps, modles and spells compaired to this although it does host 1000s of images.
Simply all that needs to be done is all spells that leak too much to be used and all maps that are imbalenced, leaky, or not well made removed and all modles over 250 kb big deleted (250 kb seems to be the max a modle can be in a multiplayer map before it takes up too much space to be effective). Also clearing the fourms might improve sight speed and free up some space.

After all that is done the site hopefully would relive its glorious days of being the number 1 site.
I know all that probably would take for ever but its eithor that or the site will die since if the dl problem is not fixed within 1 month people will start leaving this site and flocking to other wc3 support sites and darky will shut this site down.

If this site changed its modle to mimic wc3c but less extreme im sure it could out live wc3c.
Currently the map section is filled with "spam" that 90% of people will never dream of playing more than once...
What needs to be done is to leave the map section with only maps that people will play more than once.

Loap maps should be deleted off this site since they are so rigged its only fun to play them once to find out just how rigged they are and also they are easily available on Bnet.
Unbalenced AoS maps should be deleted unless they are being activly balenced since im sure no one would play a rigged AoS.
Badly made or structured TDs should be removed since they again are only fun to play once.
Badly laid out or ballenced RPGs should also be sent to the bin since at most they get hosted 4 times before someone gives up.

Im sure if all thoes are removed the site will have enough space to continue opperations for a while.
Also stricter map submission rules should be made since currently even the worst map can be submited (if maps could be subbmited now. . .)

I hope you do something even if it is not an idea I mentioned just I do not want to see this site die for atleast another 3-5 years . . .

And out of interest who and how did wc3c get back up and running?
At one stage it was deader than this site currently is.

Level 3
I suggest a third party website,were you can dump all old maps,skins,etc.Yahoo offers free web pages in thier Geocities.They aren't that big,being around 4or5 MB or so,but if it means saving the site,than its worth it!Also,you can pay them more money to expand your web page and increase memory of the site.

And if you want,I have about 3MB extra on my Website,which will be up in a few weeks if you want to send some of that extra stuff to me!I'll do anything to help out the only modding site worth saving!!!

Level 40
VGSatomi said:
Considering that their mods come over here throwing sucker punches at us every so often, and among other things, it has not left me with a good impression of them...and my visits over there have yielded more flamming and immaturity then I see here, so I beg to differ, at least from what I've seen.

amen - the search for 'High Quality' there has become more of an arrogance thing, shunning noobs and saying "we're better than you" in a suttle way :?

after all, how did you become good? we were all noobs once, and most of us had someone teach us.[/quote]

Level 2
I agree with a mass purge, but considering how a lot of maps just got lost, then the site went over capacity, I think this problem will occur again.

Level 6
Hard situation indeed.

I can see increasing disk space is only short-time solution, so there should be some system changes.
There is my suggestions:
1) delete all models with more than 500 kb (becasuse such huge models are useless, at least in multiplayer) and as well limit its submision.
2) check older version of maps and delete old versions of maps. There is dozens of maps submitet more-than-once because there is different versions - and is supposed that last version had to be played.
3) there was many broken links, but are you sure that files doesnt exist? Perhaps there is much space consumed by unlinked files.
4) make more and harder rules for submiting WoW models - they are huge and numerous.
5) prohiby spells with custom models and stuff where these imports are not neccesary for functionality of spell (bars, or whatewer, not planes in fligth system for example)

Level 3
PurplePoot said:
The BLPaletter and MDX Squisher do not compress the file you target normally ( assuming these are the programs you are talking about ) but instead, change them so the MPQs can compress them more efficiently.
They compress better in zips as well, which is what every model here is uploaded as, no?

Level 6
Werewulf said:
500kb? er.. i dont think so... even some normal wc3 models r that big i think..

1mb i say.

I dissagre. How many 1mb+ models are here? 10? 50? Sure not more. It solves nothing. There is plenty of models in interval betwen 0,5 and 1mb and this is - if I can say - problem.

But you are rigth - such categorization is not good, there should be some expresions for really good models, but it is another problem

Level 17
Detailed models+textures rarely weight more than 350kb. However, since a year or two, the uploading script is so bugged that often it ask for unnecessary textures, sometimes even doubling the zip size. :roll:

There's a thing I don't get tho, half of the skin\map section has been recently lost, so how could there be space problems just a month later? Also, what's up with wc3Anvil?

Level 22
1) delete all models with more than 500 kb (becasuse such huge models are useless, at least in multiplayer) and as well limit its submision.

The problem with that it quality is not taken into consideration. We take quality over file size any day. We will never potentially delete a high quality piece of work simply based on file size.

2) check older version of maps and delete old versions of maps. There is dozens of maps submitet more-than-once because there is different versions - and is supposed that last version had to be played.

Its already that way now. If there are any obsolete version maps up, its because they slipped through my fingers or have other factors involved (such as multiple authors and not knowing which one is the original).

3) there was many broken links, but are you sure that files doesnt exist? Perhaps there is much space consumed by unlinked files.

Broken link pages are not taking up any space. I am intentionally leaving some broken link resources up in hopes of repairing them, because some of are best resources are broken at the moment.

4) make more and harder rules for submiting WoW models - they are huge and numerous.

Full optimization is already a requirement. Maybe it is not being enforced. File size and poly count should be heavily reduced as it is. Character models are the only tricky part because those are going to be large in file size anyway due to sheer complexity.

5) prohiby spells with custom models and stuff where these imports are not neccesary for functionality of spell (bars, or whatewer, not planes in fligth system for example)

Agreed.

There's a thing I don't get tho, half of the skin\map section has been recently lost, so how could there be space problems just a month later?

That was our external archive (our archive is in 2 pieces- wc3sear.ch internal and the over-flow archive hosting on another server composed of mostly maps and skins). It was once hosted on wc3campaigns, then when they shut down the first time it was moved to wc3anvil. Wc3anvil has since lost that archive, creating all the broken link resources I had to remove, although as I mentioned above, some are staying up as I plan on repairing and rehosting them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Hmm a complete purge of the entire map section. . .
That might just work since someone out there must have a copy of every good map from this sites map list.

But it is a bit extreeme. . .
Lets just wait and see if darky manages to hagle extra server space from his provider.
We can pretty much do nothing else but wait and hope. . .

Level 22
A purge would do nothng. Uploading has been halted by the provider. Even if we had no files, we would not be able to upload anything. Get it?

If we get the stop lifted, then we may consider what to do as far as space conservation, but until then I will hope that darky succeeds in obtaining more space. Although I doubt doing anything for this site is on the top of his priority list, so I dont know what to expect. If we get no new space and dont get this stop lifted, then I will keep all the current files up just so there is something for people to download.
-VGsatomi

Level 8
PurplePoot said:
The BLPaletter and MDX Squisher do not compress the file you target normally ( assuming these are the programs you are talking about ) but instead, change them so the MPQs can compress them more efficiently.

They'd still help since this site zips all resource and zip compression will have the same effect to paletted BLPs and squished models as the MPQ compression.

Level 6
Masterful_Tauren said:
:cry: It seems that there is no way through this dilema.We should purge all outdated files and start again,fresh.
Bad idea. Many old maps (as well as resources) are really good and then it shall be preserved to future. You can see most maps, even old, have permanently increasing download counter.

Level 9
Note;
1B = byte = 1 byte = 8 bits
1kb = kilobit = 1000 bits
1Kb = Kilobit = 1024 bits
1KB = KiloByte = 1024 bytes = 1024 * 8 bits = 8.192 bits
I appologize for the size of this post. I don't post too often, yet when I do, it gets messy :D.
End_of_note;

A purge including only file deletion is out of the question - we all know this.
No one would like his file to get deleted, just like that, on subjective reasons.

Tight rules must be implemented, otherwise this issue will occur again. Sooner or later, it will appear again.

A more complex yet community-dependent idea would be to issue 2 ratings to a map: 1 for admins and 1 for users. This way, all moderators of "Maps" could rate the map. In the end, the server computes an average - that's the Admin Rating.
Users should also rate the file after they have downloaded it. I would suggest enforcing a download restriction for files in the same section: if one downloaded a map, he/she shouldn't be able to download one more untill he/she rates that map.
It would be rather frustrating, tough effective (as anyone would soon be forced to begin rating files they download if they want to download another). So, perhaps you can change the site coding, implementing a new user section in the User Control Panel/User Console called "Ratings". There should be created entries to all downloaded files. If the user does not rate let's say, 50 files per Site section, he should be denied downloading more files from the same section untill he rates at least 50% from his downloads - or 100%. When he/she reaches the 50 files threshold, the restriction is activated again and so on, untill users learn to always rate files.
With user ratings, the site could then compute a new average - the User Rating.

Based on these 2 ratings the site would finally compute a single rating - the File Rating - let's say about 75% Admin Rating + 25% User Rating - or 50% each, you decide.

Using a certain rating minimal value, after 1 or 2 or 6 months the site would compute a threshold. Take the file with most downloads ever in each section(considering it the best file/most popular file in it's section). Take the file currently checked in the same section. Compute an average downloads-per-day value for each file. Compute what percentage does the currently checked file's download average represent from the download average of the most popular file.
With this value and the File Rating, the site could decide either to issue a warning to the author of that file, or to delete it. Or, to highlight it to a moderator. Whatever the Admins decide to program the site to do.

The age of a file shouldn't be a variable. Computing that downloads/day average uses the age of that file, yet it doesn't use it directly, it's rather computing the effectiveness that file has in download terms. W3 Viewer was created, let's see, back in 2003? 2004? So it's more than 2 year-old. Should it be deleted just based on that? No.

Yeah, this would create a whole lot of text entries (worst case, every user has been rating every file on WC3S, so that would lead to TotalNrOfFilesOnWC3S * TotalNrOfUsers entries). I just wrote a 268.435.456 bytes (256 MB) text file with every character in ASCII from #0 to #255. Compressed with Zip at Best (using WiRAR), it got down to 1.041.330 bytes (0,9930896759033203125 MB) - that would be 0,3879256546497344970703125 %. :D Not that big anymore, huh?

1) Maps.
I do not know what to say about the maps section. It is not my field of expertise in W3, so I leave this open for you.
Main idea would be to have a size limit corresponding to it's dimensions (map dimensions as W3 uses it, not as filesize). Then, maps should receive a rating, based on a composite metric: complexity & playability & overall quality & detail level & blabla - as I said, this is not my domain, so I do not know what fields should be present here.

2) Skins & Icons.
Detail level is a REQUIRED field for these sections. The skins/icons would better be obtained by merge/scratch work. Recolors are out, as copy-paste are too.
For Icons, a BMP with 32bpp is max 64(width) x 64(height) x4(32bpp = 8 Bpp) = 16.384 bytes (16 KB) large. A full pack would be 4 times that, so 64 KB per icon, provided it comes with all BTN, DISBTN, PASBTN, DISPASBTN BLPs.
For skins, a BMP with 32bpp is max 256(width) x 256(height) x4 = 262.144 bytes (256 KB) large.
These were BMP uncompressed sizes.
Now, BLP compression kicks in - reducing as much as it can. Zip comes next.

I'd make a suggestion here. Wouldn't it be better if WC3S would only host the original image? For example, just the BTN image in BMP 16/24bit format or the BLP, compressed as ZIP. The download link should have below it a download link to a BMPtoBLPconverter/Warcraft3 Viewer or any other program capable of converting a BMP to a BLP with an user-friendly interface (we all were sometimes wondering what the Hell should we do with that ZIP file :D) with minial input requirement and composing the required BLP files only from the source image (from only the BTN BMP file to all the 4 BLP files, BTN, DISBTN, PASBTN and DISPASBTN, also adding the Aplha mask).

This would get the pack size to a theoretical 25% (1 out of 4 images).
From my MedalionOfWisdom (BTN image, 64x64 24bpp BMP file):
BMP 32bpp: 16.440 bytes -> 12.150 bytes of ZIP archive
BMP 24bpp: 12.344 bytes -> 10.883 bytes of ZIP archive
BMP 16bpp: 8.248 bytes -> 6.057 bytes of ZIP archive
BLP : 10.498 bytes -> 8.093 bytes of ZIP archive

The BLP file was composed from the BMP 24bpp and was added an Alpha Mask by Warcraft3 Viewer.

After all, the DIS, PAS and DISPAS are not distinct images compared with BTN. So, those files are just ballast.
Implementing a software-independent program that could offer centralized image conversion and processing (allowing the user to obtain any of the BTN, DISBTN, PASBTN or DISPASBTN BLP files only from the BTN source image - either TGA, BMP or JPG) would lift the burden of space waste from the server.

3) Models & Spells.
I am no modeller, so I am not the one to suggest rules here, but a general Quality versus Size rule is necessary.
You can't delete a file only based on it's age or size. These factors are generic. A rule based on quality it's definetly the best option. Poly count is critical.
I am not familiar with what does W3 do with skins, tough... Are they temporarily extracted to a temp folder? If so, a large number of textures per model would lead to free-space fragmentation. Ugly. Users should anyway be encouraged to use a number as low as possible of texture files per model.
No other ideas here... :(

4) AI & JASS.
The AI & JASS files are, if I recall, text files. So, ZIP should be enough for them. Or, RAR with Solid Archive set to true :D.

5) Art.
This is fan-related. I don't know if any rules are/can be rephrased here... It's a question of personal taste, don't you think?
I'd suggest encouraging users to host their files to sites like ImageShack.us. After all, these are personal files, so IS.us shouldn't have anything to say about it. A thumbnail and an URL would be enough in WC3S.

6) Tools.
Hm...
This is the category where I tried to upload yet encountered a refusal, so I may not be the person to be considered 100% objective.
Tell you what? I'll try to be 75% objective. I guess is the best I can do.

As tools require programming skills, I don't think they are a serious problem for WC3S. First of all, because they are not going to be like thousands of them, as Icons/Models are. On the other hand, they can be very large.

Some rules I'd suggest here: no tools platform-dependent should be allowed. If you do not accept icons for models that do not exist for the time being, why should you allow such tools? I downloaded some while ago the W3 Damage Calculator (Yeeeah! only around 500KB! a joy for my crappy dialup connection, that offers me some 1,5/2 KB per second, 3 KB/sec in the good times!) and, when it was all over and I tried to run it, I have been announced that I need some .NET framework installed to run the damn thing!

Please Note: I express no opinion regarding W3DC's quality: I was unable to run it. I only refer to ability to run a program.

So, Please do not accept tools that can't be run independently, as standalone EXE file. Even if they do need some DLLs or other files, they must be WITHIN the download archive, not on third-party website.
On the other hand, there shouldn't be like 50 tools for the same function. If you could, only accept or encourage at least those tools having implemented the most functions!
Tools should be allowed to be complex as long as they are compact. Egonomic interfaces should be encouraged by pertinent feedback such as comments and such, while the number of files per program should be kept minimum.
Tools should have complete documentation along the program files. Yes, it's good to help/be helped by forum members, but always seeing the same thread title/question in comments as "Why can't I run the program" gets both tiresome and increases the number of text entries in forums, making it more of a jungle. Basic usage tutorials within download ZIP archives should at least be encouraged if not required to exist.

7) Forums.
Implement an archive module for posts older than 1 year, for posts that have not been viewed for a long time or for posts that have not been replyed in a long time.
After 1,5 / 2 years, either pack them as ZIP/RAR/CAB/ACE/UHA or delete them. Although, keeping a record would be interesting.

Donations should and perhaps ought to be made more often, provided you're in a country with PayPal support...

If the server is Win-based, perhaps defragmenting it from time to time would lead to improved speeds and lower free space fragmentation?

Over all, composite metrics would be the best option in defining the "quality" aspect of any uploadable resource.

Well, these are my suggestions. Feel free to comment them (using this format please: "5) Art: ", so that I/others can identify better what was commented).
Hope I didn't offend anyone out there.

EoF.BlackDoom;

Level 3
then these are my suggestions ^^

Maps/Spells - Delete uncommented maps with a very low dl count
Skins - 85% compression on uncompressed blps, but this would be hard to automate I guess
Icons - BLPPaletter! Will reduce size by 70+% iirc
Models - MDXSquisher! Another 30% or so reduction in the compression

Level 9
Well, let Darky be the one, but he is unreachable.
I gave him like 2 PMs by now, Daelin and VGsatomi keep on telling me that Darky has some "trouble" with checking out this site...

You'd think that if I'd try to contact him, would he return an answer?

He didn't even read my PMs, not to mention reply to them...

And I do not agree with lowering the quality of BLP files. What exactly does this magic BLP Paletter do to those files anyway? How can it be better than ZIP/RAR archiving algorithms?

Another idea: let's use UHA for uploading packages. I just wonder if they could automatically open the files on server...

:(

Level 13
Well people can always submit their work on epicwar.com, wc3anvil.com, hiveworkshop.com and maps.worldofwar.net and wc3cam,paigns.net with an approval.
overall I guess this is gonna cost some people to leave the site and visit others.

Level 9
Being given the fact that VG mentioned all upload operations have been halted for now, I suggest putting an end to these "Let's see what we can upload now?!" trials.

After all, we should be thankfull that WC3S hasn't been "killed" the way DeskMod has. At least, we don't get a 404 when trying to connect to WC3S. Plus, what if the provider finds this out and has an "ugly" reaction?

So, please, everyone make your own purge, try either to host your old stuff to some other host or delete those files of yours who you find ungly or those who haven't been seriously downloaded. After all, those are your files; you are the best people to tell if they are good or bad.

As I said, no one is forced to delete anything; I'll give an example in 1 hour or so.

Cheers :wink:

Warnicro said:
Well people can always submit their work on epicwar.com, wc3anvil.com, hiveworkshop.com and maps.worldofwar.net and wc3cam,paigns.net with an approval.
overall I guess this is gonna cost some people to leave the site and visit others.

Well the problem basicly is that the site has so few talented people left that it cannot afford to lose anymore :p

Level 2
personally approval of resources like models and skins isnt a bad idea it sends crap away and keeps things that someone is bound to see as quality instead of having a model/skin that only leads to flamming in the comments

maps their are plenty of other sites to go for for that i say rid this site of them completely

spells thats something you guys would have to think about on your own

Level 2
The answer is simple. Spend more money for another harddrive to add to the server. Set up a paypal donation acount to pay for it. Otherwise you are done with file hosting.

Cut down on old material. To do this simply put a hardcap on the file archive. Any new posts of files will delete some of the oldest posts to make room. Throw in an option for authors so they can refresh their files so they are not deleted. Yes, you would lose some files. Yes, people will get over it.

You could also contact blizard and see if they would help keep the site alive. It's not uncommon to see sponsored websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.