• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Over Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Wc3search may get most visitors but it is far from the best site.

Yet you still keep coming back here. Why?

You could also contact blizard and see if they would help keep the site alive. It's not uncommon to see sponsored websites.

Blizz doesnt sponsor anything fan made. The closest thing they've done was open their new mod site to host a few fan maps, but that is more of a farce then anything else.
-VGsatomi

Level 9
is there any possible way for a mod here to completely block people from downloading? or would that not help even if someone could?

Level 9
Well... I was expecting you people to choke me with comments to what I first posted here. So, my ideas were not so bad? Or was the post too short to be noticed :D :) ?

Anyway. Let's see. 14.999 Resources. Total.
How can we cut down the size of total entries of all resources in WC3S if my usggestion about the rating system would be considered worthy to implement?
Hm... We need to implement a coding algoritm. A unique coding system, based on letters and digits, so we do not interact with special characters that browsers might parse wrong...
ANSI chars and digits. That would be, from "A" to "Z" and from "0" to "9". What does the ASCII table tell us? Well, it says we got a space from #65 to #90 ("A" to "Z") and from #48 to #57 ("0" to "9"). So, that makes a total of
(90 - 65 +1) + (57 - 48 +1) = (25 +1) + (9 +1) = 26 + 10 = 36
We'll only use uppercase characters in order not to make the damn coding system case-sensitive. If any request would send lowercase instead of uppercase, the returned file would be invalid.
Now, how many values can we code using this system? Hm... Thinking of binary... Let's take Byte type (Pascal / Delphi / Kylix). It has 8 bits, resulting 256 values (2 ^ 8). So, the rule is NumberOfValues ^ TotalNumberOfPositions.
So, in order to cover the 14.999 total resources, let's see...
36 ^ 1 = 36
36 ^ 2 = 1.296
36 ^ 3 = 46.656
That means that we can refer to any of the current resources based on a 3 characters code, instead of using an URL longer than 3 characters or links containing so many parameters. I know that WC3S currently uses a numeric coding system. I dare say it's not so effective.
If WC3S would only use a main ResourceIDTable, then the total size of entries to all WC3S per user would be 14.999 x 3 = 44.997 characters per user. 44 KB. I don't know what's the total number of users registered to WC3S. The total size of RatingDB (let's call this database this way) would be TotalNumberOfUsers x 44.997 bytes.
Tough, this may lead to unwanted database size... So, each user should have a database with all the files he/she uploaded to WC3S. This way, we only require 1 instance of every file in WC3S in order to save the UserRating and AdminRating.
The DownloadHistory (let's call this way that supposed-to-be new section in the UserCP) would take... let's see... 50 downloaded files per site section ... 9 site sections... 3 characters per downloaded file...
50 x 3 x 9 = 1.350 bytes per user = ~ 1.32 KB per user.
As users rate their downloaded files, the DownloadHistory would clear up.
In conclusion, I am sure that rewriting this website would only lead to good things. Yet, Darky is so hard to contact...

People, this is not the time to squabble about whether WC3S is or is not the best site around. We all want to keep it around, but this discussion is not appropriate for now. If you still want to debate this issue - use the specific forum pages, not the news entries. I refer now especially to ragingspeedhorn.

And, I'd like to suggest one more thing. Set the resources sections based on 2 main "rooms". One called something like "Beginner's" and "Advanced's". Each "room" should have exactly the same sections like now.
All new files should be uploaded to "Beginner's". This "room" should have that 50downloadsBeforeYouRate restriction. Over a while (3/6 months or whatever), based on the ratings and downloads, the file could be "promoted" to "Advanced's". This room would have the RateEveryDownloadBeforeYouDownloadAnotherOne restriction. If any file in both rooms does not keep it's rating and/or downloads average over a certain admin-specified quota, it should be deleted, a notice of this fact being sent to its author 14 days prior to deletion.

Each "room" should keep it's files on a different server/hard drive, as files in "Beginner's" would come and go faster than those in "Advanced's", thus free-space fragmentation would be greater on the hard-drive where "Beginner's" files are stored.
In order to keep things right, a policy about how many downloads have been performed should be implemented, in order to prevent users downloading only from "Advanced's" room, where "great resources are stored".

Anyway, people, please comment these suggetions! Especially moderators! I feel as if I were some kind of a mad man, raving around talking nonsense.

EoF.BlackDoom;

Level 9
BlackDoom said:
Well... I was expecting you people to choke me with comments to what I first posted here. So, my ideas were not so bad? Or was the post too short to be noticed :D :) ?

or it could be that some people like me dont even understand half of em because i dont know coding :p

Level 9
:lol:
I am not a web developer.
I don't know crap about php or anything like it.
I don't even know s**t about HTML!

So, I just want to know if these ideas are ok.
This is why I even explain my ideas. I know quite enough about Pascal/Delphi programming, but this is nothing near Web developping.

So, please, anyone. Ideas?
:p :roll: :wink: :D

VGsatomi said:
Yet you still keep coming back here. Why?

Because the site is still worth a look every now and then, it is not bad or anything, search has it's good sides aswell, but I still disagree on the part that it's the best site around.

@BlackDoom - I don't care, I'll post whatever I want to whether you find it apropiate or not.

Level 15
BaD_HeX said:
The answer is simple. Spend more money for another harddrive to add to the server. Set up a paypal donation acount to pay for it. Otherwise you are done with file hosting.
The current server at tiscali.ch is not dedicated, it's a shared server that (last I checked) also hosts approximately 30 other sites. Simply adding another hard drive is not possible. :(

The site speed problem is definitely solvable by optimizing some of the site code.

The site storage problem will likely require either removing some of the resources, or moving to a dedicated/VPS host that offers more space. Based on what VGsatomi said of Darky's situation, this likely won't happen.

Level 3
Warnicro said:
I personally think this warcraft fansite is the best visited website of them all (correct me if I am wrong).

WC3Sear.ch is by far the largest resource for downloads. It's by far the most visited Warcraft III site.

That said, it's fallen a lot. Much of the maps aren't amazing. The site's amazingly slow. People don't update maps, they reupload many copies of the maps. Amazingly, there's 1 version of DotA Allstars, but at the same time, there's so many maps which nobody downloads.

Almost every major Warcraft III modding site of the past is getting worse. maps.worldofwar.net is having some problems (or has had some recently). WC3C managed to fight back from the dead, but it's not nearly as active as it used to be. Mod Forge, which was one of the better sites years ago, has finally died. At the same time, the newer sites are getting better. TheHelper.net is getting better. HiveWorkshop, WC3Anvil, they're getting better, in the eyes of the majority of most War3 players. They help out the people who ask stupid questions, they don't flame them (as much). Honestly, the worst thing is that people on the many sites seem to hate each other. If the sites hate each other, it'll just speed up their demise. Site wars will drive people away from both sites in the site war.

Level 13
BGBkstroke said:
Almost every major Warcraft III modding site of the past is getting worse. maps.worldofwar.net is having some problems (or has had some recently).

Thats all past behind now, with a new layout and new forums the community is back on track.

As for other sites, hiveworkshop.com and wc3anvil.com are really doign well, I personally have contact with both the website designers of them, and I help out from time to time.

wc3s is still (like said) the most visited, but the loading of the pages, is a real tragic thing, and I think Darky should do some coding or atleast let someone do it for him, cause its quite messed up atm, and I don't think there is alot to fix in order to the page loading at properly speed.

Level 12
I should say that Darky should have given this site up to someone else a long time ago. It is clear that he didn't have time for this site the last 2 years. And it has been very harmful to this site, these things do need a lot of support, I can't beleive how wc3s could go on with null maintenance for so long. And I was serious the last time this site is required to keep the balance everywhere else.

BGB: I think I like the current less active wc3c more than the old times' wc3c that had a lot of activity, I also can't think it could do better, wc3 is dying anyways.

amen - the search for 'High Quality' there has become more of an arrogance thing, shunning noobs and saying "we're better than you" in a suttle way icon_confused.gif

after all, how did you become good? we were all noobs once, and most of us had someone teach us

hmnn purplepoot, that was exactly my point! wc3c cannot in any way replace search and that's the reason.

Vgsatomi said:
thanks vex

No, actually my point with the word balance is that no one of the other sites would survive if they had to take the space currently used by search. There are all the small comminuties with their own, crazy objectives. The forum giant, Thehelper and the downloads giant which is this site.

If the downloads giant would be missing then the other sites would get a load of traffic they can't really hold. The result would be that one of the smaller sites would take this site's position and lose its own identity. And most of them cannot do so.

Don't think thehelper could take the load of space required, they were going ok because they were just hosting forums and some maps. Besides that they aren't supposed to be a warcraft III map anyways.

Then there are the other smaller sites, no one of those sites is able to take this site's place.

An option would be that the load would be split and that would just kill each site a little besides that the lack of a download giant would be harmful.

Talking wc3c, the only reason the guys there can go for quality and flame people if they don't post things good enough is that this site exists ...

###

Nasrudin and some other people. As much as you'd like wc3search to change its ways it would be worse if it did. The whole idea behind search was not to have quality control, that's the reason everything is automatic, and that's the reason it has succeeded (you may argue that's the reason it has collapsed but oh well).

Because of its identity this site cannot and shouldn't go for quality control thus it should stay soft like it currently is. And just accept it, the resources aren't that bad. And they got into a good standard after the addition of mods a long time ago.

Anyways VG I do not like it either when some people come to this site to flame, and I try to stop them, the last time was when Linera tried to get an affiliation I think? was there any recent case?

Level 9
I feel so bad that WC2S is going down...
I began to like this place. A lot. I had some eye-candy projects to upload into the Icons section... I was just getting started :( :? :( :cry: :cry:
Plus, I spent like 2 weeks on a tool and some Photoshop actions and now...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Is there really nothing that could be done? :roll:

Level 2
I say we delete everything and start over again. If everyone uploads their best resources that they have on their comp, this site will be up in no time.

Level 1
Damn, I seriously was predicting this happening. Just a matter of time before this site just collapses underneath itself, I guess...Something tells me I should just go DL everything of good quality (model/skin wise), but that would just cause more stress on the site, causing it to die even faster...

No disrespect meant, but Darky really should transfer ownership to someone else. From what I've read, he seems to not even give this site a look regularly anymore.

Level 6
Xenu said:
I say we delete everything and start over again. If everyone uploads their best resources that they have on their comp, this site will be up in no time.

Nonsense. Why start again and reupload all resources? What it solves?
VG Emblem said:
Something tells me I should just go DL everything of good quality (model/skin wise), but that would just cause more stress on the site, causing it to die even faster...

another nonsense, there is not problem with downloads

Level 17
Vexorian said:
Nasrudin and some other people. As much as you'd like wc3search to change its ways it would be worse if it did. The whole idea behind search was not to have quality control, that's the reason everything is automatic, and that's the reason it has succeeded (you may argue that's the reason it has collapsed but oh well).

It would be worse for who? For you and your site? Having the community splitted in two poles is bad enought, having the extremes fights against each other is even more bad.
Wc3s is dying because the lack of administration more than its quality\quantity policy. And wc3c is digging his own grave too, but in another way. I don't know what would be worse, wc3s closing or the community having to rely more on the new wc3c.

Level 13
Vexorian said:
Then there are the other smaller sites, no one of those sites is able to take this site's place.

I would like to seccond that, I think that maps.worldofwar.net would be able to take that, seeing it was he former holder of the most maps (almost 9000), we even astablished a new server which can hold even more than that amount, and with the new mods section comming up not to long from now, its goign to host models and all others as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.